Defensive buffs, and R53

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nikko, Apr 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

Once again kaeshiva, you and I are simpatico. I don't think any of us would argue that there doesn't need to be a fix. 100% avoidance is just silly and clearly a bug needing to get squashed. I wholeheartedly agree that good passives for heavy plate should be between 75%-80%. If this were the case I think most, if not all of us would be happy.

2. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

The forums are where Avatars are EXPECTED to express their thoughts about changes like this.
    Do you @Koss play a heavy armor, melee char ?

Nikko, By Tor and Cordelayne like this.
  3. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Agree completely !

By Tor and Cordelayne like this.
  4. Bigg

Bigg Avatar

I think if 75% is their goal even my hypothetical 85% is over the cap. I think there should be some feeling of achievement in reaching an almost indestructible state but also think it ruins the game when you can just run around laughing off hits.

Edit for random thought: maybe they could make the baseline for each material cap 10% below what I had said then pushed that extra with a new crafted item... idk still pretty new to the game to be tossing around most of the thoughts in my head.

Nikko and Cordelayne like this.
  5. Ryodin Stormwind

Ryodin Stormwind Avatar

Trust me. Mitigating only 85% of incoming damage as a tank who is taking on multiple targets isn't going to be running around laughing hits off. Especially not at the high-end.

Cordelayne and By Tor like this.
  6. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

Agreed, but it's more realistic and better than what it is now. I would be fine getting 85%. :)

By Tor likes this.
  7. Bayard

Bayard Avatar

I read this and was concerned so I ran Crag Foothills with my usual buffs and same plate armor as always. I noticed no big difference in damage received and actually thought it was just a bit easier to kill mobs than before. So I decided to go to The Rise for a more serious test. Same thing, no noticeable difference EXCEPT the room with all the elven fighters and archers I noticed a LOT more of small damage numbers flying off me.

I'm not posting this for any other reason to see if we can figure out why our experiences are so different. My build is nothing special in my opinion and perhaps my DR sucked before the 'adjustment' so not as much of an impact when adjusted (I'm wearing bronze for damage, no Meteoric at all).

Let's see if we can figure out the difference. I'm AL 93, Blades with a few GMs and Specialization, decent Life healing with one GM and Specialization 73 (but didnt need to heal much except in Mage Room) both devotional buffs, two major food buffs, Bronze and White Iron plate and 2-handed sword.

8. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Athanil and Tiki Pirate like this.
  9. Ryodin Stormwind

Ryodin Stormwind Avatar

I think that's just it. The change is when you are tanking multiple enemies at the same time, and getting all that small damage adding up - that wasn't happening before. So really, this change has just limited how many mobs a single person can tank at a time without needing extreme healing.

It sounds like our builds and skill levels are similar, except I'm slightly less than you (AL 81). How do you fare at the elven encampment at the east side of Crag foothills - you know the one with like 15 elves? I used to just mop that place up, now I have to try and get them in small groups of 3-5 or it's rough.

The Rise, I have to take everything 1 at a time.

Something else I've noticed which I plan to start a thread on, is that mages seem to be healing for extreme amounts now. I've been fighting a few of the Rise mages for example, get them down to like 100 HP, and all of a sudden they heal their entire bar...I plan to try and get some combat logs of it if I'm not too lazy after I'm done grinding.

Nikko, Bayard and Cordelayne like this.
  10. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

@Barugon
    What you said, once again, was:
    Your pics merely show what the weapons are CAPABLE of, not what they do on various attacks - which depends on the individual skill.
    Many melee skills hit only single targets.
    I'm surprised you do not know this....

Oyjord Hansen likes this.
  11. Ryodin Stormwind

Ryodin Stormwind Avatar

Only one I know of that hits a single target in Blades is Riposte. I haven't used Bludgeon or Polearm so can't comment on those.

12. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Ah, so you're talking about special attacks. I was just talking about the skill (Bludgeon, Polearm, etc) in general. There's even a Ranged special that hits multiple targets.

13. Solazur

Solazur Avatar

I have but one word for you @Chris old buddy old (polearms) pal.

Incremental :)

TY, that is all

K1000, Beli, Jaesun and 3 others like this.
  14. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Not talking avoidance here, talking max damage resist, to be clear.

It was mid 70s for ages in heavy armor with the 2 appropriate passives at gm, then in r52 spiked up to high 90s because of some adjustment.
    It just needs to be put back to the pre r52 value. The r52 value was silly, 100% max resist meant that if you had 40 resist, and a kobold hit you for say, 20 points, you'd take "zero" damage. With mid 70s resist, you'd resist "70ish%" of the 20 damage so you'd still get hurt a little bit, less the higher your resist was but never more than the max % of the incoming hit. 100% is silliness. 75-80% is a good baseline. If someone wanted to then push the passivse to 120 for another 5% its still 'reasonable'. But getting 100% would be hundreds upon hundreds of millions of xp and not really reasonable (or worthwhile).

Nikko, K1000, Tirello and 4 others like this.
  15. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

You're right, I apologize, I misspoke. I mean resist not avoidance.

K1000 likes this.
  16. Tad Murakami

Tad Murakami Avatar

I totally agree to kaeshiva and thanks for being very clear on statistics.
    Being Tanker, i also thought 100% Max DR was ridiculous.
    Somewhere 70ish% sound much fair to me as well but not like now which is even lower...

Hoping that dev will tune this on next release...

Nikko, K1000, kaeshiva and 2 others like this.
  17. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I made a mistake in my post. I didn't mean to imply that melee users didn't employ tactics. I corrected my post.

Nikko and Cordelayne like this.
  18. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

I found the values from the previous post @Chris

In R52;

16.5% deflection gm
    sympathy of stone for 12.5% gm
    and full plate/shroud for 55%

The difference was for whatever reason in r52 you started with a "base value" of 30% which made it possible to get over 100% in plate --- 85% from the 30 base and 55 armor without levelling either of the passives. This was BROKEN.

It looks like the two skills have essentially been cut in half regarding how much resist they gave.

New values:

Full plate is: 38.6% max resist
    Shroud of the avatar is 4.2%
    GM deflection is 8.3%
    GM sympathy 6.3%

Working this out by looking at a character with all of this equipped, whose max resist value is showing at 67.2% in -full- platemail, both gms, and shroud, this means the 'base' value also got dropped from 30% to 9.8%

HUUUGE pendulum swing.

Put the skill bonuses and armor back where they were, it makes sense that the player must invest for higher max resist.
    Just get rid of the 'base value' nonsense and the problem resolves itself. That was what caused the whole problem to begin with!

If we did this, using the above example

Full-plate 55%
    Deflection 16.5%
    Sympathy 12.5%

84% on a full, grandmastered plate tank. That doesn't seem unreasonable to me, considering that most people will NOT go full plate since they might want to cast a spell like, ever.
    If that's too high, then keep the armor adjustment reduction - he'd be mid 70s which the best armor, which is more or less the target, right? Right?

Nikko, K1000, Bayard and 7 others like this.
  19. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Yup .

Cordelayne and kaeshiva like this.
  20. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Yeah at the very least revert the skill changes, that would also bring us more or less back to where we were.....6.3% is pretty sad 5 million xp

K1000, By Tor and Cordelayne like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.