Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Defensive "Next Hit" Abilities

Discussion in 'Release 22 Feedback' started by Fikule, Sep 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fikule

Fikule Avatar

These need to change. Too many enemies hit too often for this to matter and the related damage mitigation has little effect on combat.

Cases:

1. Weak enemy hitting fast - The time it takes to put a one-hit defense up is not worth the time to block 0-1 damage.
    2. Weak enemy hitting slow - Ironically more average mitigation than case #1, but it's still 0-1 damage.
    3. Strong enemy hitting fast - You might block a lot more (unless they happen to land a weak hit), but they are hitting fast enough that it has no impact on the outcome. In the time you took to block instead of deal damage, they have hit you twice anyway.
    4. Strong enemy hitting slow - The best case scenario. But again, it could randomly be a weaker hit that you block. This would have the best mitigation per block and fight impact.

So, one semi-viable case out of 4. If the strong slow enemy has weak minions near it, there's a chance they'd just eat the defense instead. This can even remove you best case scenario from viability.

So, a few suggestions:

1. Make these defenses have a duration and a threshold instead.
    Glancing Blow (Heavy Armour)
    OLD: Decreases damage suffered from next enemy attack
    NEW: Decreases damage suffered for 6 seconds or until X damage has been mitigated by Avoidance.

2. Create natural boosts for defensive abilities to encourage their use.
    Stand Your Ground (Shields)
    OLD: Increases stun resistance when a shield is equipped
    NEW: Increases stun resistance (by X%) when a shield is equipped. If stunned, your next defensive ability has it's effective skill level increased (by Y%)

3. Add extra bonuses when using defensive abilities correctly.
    Dodge (Light Armour)
    OLD: Reduces damage received from the next enemy attack.
    NEW: Reduces damage received for 6 seconds or until X damage has been mitigated by Dodge. Once this ability ends you gain attack speed for 6 seconds based on the damage prevented.

Just from these three examples you could have a scenario where a Leather-wearing shield-user gets stunned, taking damage, but can then use an empowered Dodge (Stand Your Ground), absorbing far more damage than they usually would as a result and returning to their offensive with an attack speed boost.

2. tesyra

tesyra Avatar

Dont lawyer me bro'
    But ive a feeling they already have changed to duration based
    The tooltips however may not have been updated yet
    I recall someone (Chris maybe?)saying the tooltips have not all been updated yet (which explains why Ring of Fire and Immolation dont currently list any damage)

With Dodge for example:
    Mine is at rank 55, and gives 10.5 Combat Dodge Modifier, for 10.5 sec onds (which is nice with a 10 sec CD)
    In this case i believe that green text was updated, but the white part of the tooltip (near top) still uses the old wording
    So you could say they are half updated, its a work in progress
    I cant recall exactly what mine said before r22, but im 95% certain it was something like "+10 dodge modifer for the next attack (as the white bit sitll says)
    EDIT: forgot to add, that i have seen my toon dodge at least 2 or 3 attacks from just one press, and some of them were 2-5 seconds after the first dodge

Vaentorian likes this.
  3. Fikule

Fikule Avatar

I have also seen them disappear with over half their duration remaining.

Either way, the current implementation could do with explaining if it has changed :p

The other suggestions stand as improvements though ^^

4. TroubleMagnet

TroubleMagnet Avatar

Totally agree, these are worthless as they are now. Speed bumps on the way to other stills is all they are.

5. Snazz

Snazz Avatar

My Glancing Blow lasts like 2 seconds, instead of whatever the tooltip is. Might be relative to how many wolves are munching on my leg

Riposte says 10 seconds of mitigation, but it seems like it's a one shot mitigation (which honestly would match the name lol)

Seems like passive/armour rating is all that is worthwhile atm.

Deflection (Hvy tree) sounds amazing by description, but I'm still not that invincible, so I presume it's not quite right either

6. Net

Net Avatar

I think that all of "next hit defense" skills should really should include a counter attack as well. So, you either return most damage to your opponent or use strong own attack. Otherwise there is no sense in using them, you might block some damage, but if you keep blocking some damage ,you will die sooner or later while your opponent will not get hurt at all. The only thing this accomplish is that your death will be slower when you fight stronger opponent. That might be handy in some scenarios giving you time to run for your life but since we need to kill to get xp and level up, it would be nice if they were useful in fights where we want to eventually kill our opponent.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
    KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  7. Snazz

Snazz Avatar

Much like Healing Touch versus Death Touch for self healing.

One is way faster and damages the target, the other just adds time to the battle, depending on incoming dmg

Net likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.