Design Contest Announcement

Discussion in 'The College of Arms' started by Lord Kiron Maedun, May 13, 2014.

1. Lord Kiron Maedun

Lord Kiron Maedun Avatar

Are you a fan of the College of Arms or Heraldry in General?

Think you have what it takes to define the face of a City?

This is your chance to design a Coat of Arms for a City! And maybe win a prize!I’m running an unofficial contest for anyone that has an interest in heraldry or art. This contest is Portalarium and College of Arms endorsed. I hope that we will get at least 10-15 designs. The best of which may be used by a City in-game for its Coat of Arms.

Submissions as part of the contest will be accepted until 9:00 PM Central Standard Time, on Tuesday, June 10, 2014.

How do I enter?
    Anyone who has pledged to Shroud of the Avatar is eligible. The only people not allowed to enter are College of Arms Sovereigns and Heralds and Portalarium Staff. To enter, just send a private message with your design or a link to it to any of the following people: Sir Frank, NirAntae, Ronan, Adiun Tesserande, or myself, Lord Kiron Maedun (I will be the sole collection point and will pass on submissions to the judges without names to make sure there is no bias). Not an artist? That is fine! We will also be accepting Blazons of Coats of Arms; however it is recommended that you find an artist to bring your design to life, because each herald’s rendition of it might be slightly different.

What will be judged are the escutcheons only, which means only what is on the actual shield part. You can use either of the incomplete generators that the college is working on as a baseline; Coren’s or Grant’s. The Standard Shield shape we will use can be found here.

We are using the private submission process to protect the uniqueness of each individual design. At the end of the event, a selection of designs will be displayed for all to see along with the announcement of the winner and honorable mentions.

Anyone not judging can give you advice on your arms; so feel free to use members of the College of Arms! Only one final submission will be taken from each person, if more than one is submitted by a person the first will be the one that is used unless specified before the deadline by the submitter. If the same design is submitted by more the one person or a design is submitted without enough difference, then the first one will be accepted and the second person will be notified.

Submissions as part of the contest will be accepted until 9:00 PM Central Standard Time, on Tuesday, June 10, 2014.

How do I win?
    A winner will be picked by the Sovereigns of the College of Arms and FireLotus and Lord British himself! They will pick the one that they feel fits the best for the design of Port Graf. The winner will be announced prior to R7.

What do I win?
    The winning entry will receive a 50$ Add-on Store credit. And if deemed worthy by Lord British and Team, your Coat of Arms for Port Graff could be featured in game! If that isn't enough, we’ll have some additional prizes that will be announced before the contest ends!

The contest is drawing to a close and so far I have received some really amazing submissions and am hoping more to come! I personally want to thank everyone that has taken interest in this contest and has helped make it what I believe is a success. When the contest was announced I also said that addition rewards would be announced as the contest went on, well the time has come! Here is a list of the final rewards that will be given out to the winner and runner ups of the contest.

Winner – 60$ credit to for the Add-on store, a personal heraldic discussion with one or more of the Sovereigns of the College, access to a collection of over 200 heraldic art files for personal use, and if deemed worthy by Lord British and Team, your Coat of Arms for Port Graff featured in game.

Runner up - 20$ credit to for the Add-on store and access to a collection of over 200 heraldic art files for personal use

Guidance:
    The main guidance for this event is that all the rules established in the College of Arms forum area for Heraldry still apply. A good guide to these can be found here. Every submission will be checked to make sure that it is an original work; not based on previous Coats of Arms, there are rules that are on the forums that defines what this is. That it is also not using art pieces that are protected or not in the public domain; pieces drawn by yourself or that are free to use are what is needed.

If you are interested in the contest but don’t really understand Heraldry you are still ok! Anyone in the College of Arms would be willing to give basic explanations over the rules and are able to look over any design and say whether they are followed or if they are broken, without commenting on the design itself.

Additionally, Portalarium has provided us with a brief history on the City. You can use this to guide your design.

Port Graff:
    Lauran Graff discovered the Graff Mines in the NE extremes of Novia. These mines produced gems of such size and quality; they had never been seen in the world before or since. Lauran became a master jeweler whose work was in the highest demand throughout the world. Due to the value of the product and the security needs of its creator, Graff took himself, his craft, and his stock to an island off the western coast of the Northern Drachvald. Port Graff, is a port town on the main shore basically midway between the mines and the island. It is a place of great trade!

Miners come through here to get equipment needed for the mines to the NE, returning with valuable gems. These gems are shipped off to Graff's private island, to be returned as FABULOUS pieces of jewelry or gem encrusted gear. Even great wizards are seen traveling through Port Graff coming from all around Novia, traveling to his island, to assist in the capture of Magic within the astounding gems.

I look forward to seeing what you come up with. Good luck!

Edits or Additions:

First Edition of the style guide: Style Guide
    1 - Please note that charges/designs DO have to be identifiable and blazonable (described in a couple of words such that it can be recreated by someone else)

2- Updated with the final rewards that will given out for the contest.

rild, Sir Baralis, selbie and 11 others like this.
  2. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Will the identities of the submitter be known and associated with their works, or will emblazons be judged anonymously?

Also, will the emblazons need to be constructed using College approved charges, or charges constructed in the style adopted by the college?

If construction of charges in the appropriate style might confer and advantage with the judges, would it be possible to provide the contestants with the College of Arms Style Guide, or at least several clear and representative examples of the preferred style?

Thank you.

3. NirAntae

NirAntae Avatar

I don't believe there is any way to completely separate a submitter from their submission, since they are submitted to one of the judges, but that is not my call to make, nor the College's, really.

Style preference is not a rule, and I don't think it needs to be approved charges, especially since we are still in the process of getting charges approved and organized in the first place; that would be far too limiting.

It would, however, doubtless be a significant advantage if charges fell within the style we are trying to follow; as such, the College will try to get something resembling a comprehensive style guide together in the next few days.

Sir Frank likes this.
  4. Lord Kiron Maedun

Lord Kiron Maedun Avatar

This was an oversight by me while designing the contest, since I am not judging I will be the sole point of collection passing on the images without names to the judges. The original post has been edited to reflect this.

A guide into this other than the one listed in the original post is being worked on and will be available in the next couple days.

Great questions thank you for asking and pointing these things out. If anyone else has any, feel free to ask!

I want this event to fun for all involved!

Bajan Grace and NirAntae like this.
  5. LordEnglish

LordEnglish Avatar

I'm adding some accompanying notes to explain my choices. Is that recommended/suggested? And I do mean notes, rather than an essay! If you feel that is not appropriate, please remove those from submission to the judges :)

6. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

In my opinion, the design must stand on its own. However, notes would be interesting as a historical record after the contest.

7. LordEnglish

LordEnglish Avatar

Submission is in, now I can go to bed... 4am hereo_O

Sir Frank likes this.
  8. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

One more question.

Are entrants limited to a single submission, or will multiple submissions from individual backers be allowed?

Thank you.

9. Sir Frank

The contest rules say one entry per per person, so take your time, and make it a good one!

10. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Reading Comprehension Fail. I missed that bit.

Thank you.

Ronan and Sir Frank like this.
  11. Sir Frank

So, actually what it says is:
    So, if you submit a design, and then wish to withdraw the design and submit another, you can do that up until the deadline.
    However, if you just submit several designs without withdrawing any, Lord Kiron will just show us the first one.

12. selbie

selbie Avatar

\o/

This is so great! I will get started on a design ASAP.

13. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

Could images such as Lord British's serpent be used in the submission, considering it is part of his Kingdom?

Time Lord likes this.
  14. Sir Frank

Great point. We would have to ask Lord British if he would grant that permission to Port Graff.

**edit-Message sent.**

High Baron O`Sullivan likes this.
  15. Ronan

Ronan Avatar

I don't know, after the status of the realm hangout, sounds like Port Graff and the overlord there may not be the most virtuous of towns. Not too sure Lord British would sanction his serpent to them. BUT, I could be waaaay off on that. Maybe the overlord is a wonderful person just a bit quirky living over on his separate island directing from afar ;)

High Baron O`Sullivan likes this.
  16. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Is there more information on Port Graff available to contestants?

I was under the impression that the information available was to be limited to what was in the original post:

If there is more information publicly available, please make it part of this thread so that all competitors are on an equal footing.

Thank you.

Acrylic 300 likes this.
  17. Ronan

Ronan Avatar

18. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

What a wonderful idea! Must think of a really good design...

Jambo, Time Lord and Lord Trenyc like this.
  19. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

submitted today. I actually submitted two, the first one was an earlier version. Please use the second one and discard the first!!!

:)

20. Sir Frank

Official answer:

“You may use the silver serpent for locations in New Britannia while use in personal blazons is still reserved for Lord British only.”