Design Contest Announcement

Discussion in 'The College of Arms' started by Lord Kiron Maedun, May 13, 2014.

1. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

Good luck to everyone!

Lord Trenyc likes this.
  2. Aegis159

Aegis159 Avatar

Darn work getting in the way of keeping up with this stuff!! Any word on seeing the entries??

High Baron O`Sullivan likes this.
  3. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

The top selections by the College's sovereigns have been forwarded to Portalarium for a final decision. Kiron will update everyone as soon as he knows. :)

4. Lord Kiron Maedun

Lord Kiron Maedun Avatar

Expect the results to be posted today!!!!

5. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

In this thread?

6. Lord Kiron Maedun

Lord Kiron Maedun Avatar

The Port Graff Heraldry Design Contest has concluded!!

Once again I would like to thank everyone that took the time to make this possible; each of the participants, the Heralds and Sovereigns of the College of Arms, Portalarium for allowing and helping with the event, Lord British and FireLotus for judging, and finally FireLotus again for working with me a lot before the event was announced to get everything arranged.
    We received a total of 15 entries and the Judges had positive things to say about all of them! However there could only be one winner!

I am pleased to announce that the winner of the contest is Ashlynn! Ashlynn has won the following: 60$ credit for the Add-on store, a personal heraldic discussion with one or more of the Sovereigns of the College of Arms, a collection of 200+ heraldic art files, and Portalarium will decide if it will be featured as Port Graff’s Coat of Arms! Below is their design!

[​IMG]

The runner up is Duke Gréagóir! Duke Gréagóir will receive: 20$ credit for the Add-on store and a collection of 200+ heraldic art files. Below is their design!

[​IMG]

Additionally, below are the remaining entries, each of which I want to personally thank!

[​IMG]

I hope everyone enjoyed watching, participating, or helping make this contest a success!

I will be contacting the winner and runner up to arrange prize deliveries!

Khloec, Duke Gréagóir, rild and 2 others like this.
  7. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

Congratulations to Ashlynn and Duke Gréagóir! Beautiful entries, both. :D

Duke Gréagóir and rild like this.
  8. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

Nice. Congrats.

Curious, is the actual winner blazon going to get fixed to align with the actual rules i.e. correct colors (that blue is legal?), weird shading on the bottom of shield, etc...

Also, which designs are the ones submitted to Portalarium for final judging?

Dame Lori and Rufus D`Asperdi like this.
  9. Ronan

Ronan Avatar

YIPEE! Congrats to everyone!
    Now I guess I need to zip up all those files for the winners.

Duke Gréagóir likes this.
  10. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

congratulations to the winners!

I must admit, however, that I am a bit confused. According to the official rules:

Neither winner is using heraldry approved colors, and therefore isn't following the rules of the contest. What gives?

11. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Nor does the charge on the Duke's device appear to adhere to the style guide published.

Joviex likes this.
  12. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

Yeah, that is why I asked. I was not sure how much the actual contest rules applied ?

I know we dont really have a choice when using them in game, as the system will drive that via a "code" to gen the vector graphics.

13. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

A little bit surprised no one used a Runic G in any of their designs... I certainly considered it.

X marks the spot. :)

14. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Oh, that's a question... Will Ashlynn's device be used in game as the Civic Arms of Port Graff?

15. NirAntae

NirAntae Avatar

To be clear:

We have frequently stated, what is actually registered is the layout/blazon, not the individual, specific image execution. So yes, if used, the winning entry will be remade using the standard palette. We have to wait to hear from Portalarium as to whether that will happen, though it is likely.

And a great big CONGRATS to Ashlynn, Greagoir, and all the other entrants - they were all fabulous!

16. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

Well, that isn't what the rules for this contest say. They explicitly state that heraldric rules apply, and link directly to the palette of allowed colors.

Clarifying at this point that those rules don't actually apply, when the winner has been decided and didnt follow the rules, feels a bit disingenuous.

In addition, it has come to my attention that only SIX of the FIFTEEN entries were actually forwarded to portalarium for judging. Can you please list which entries were forwarded to portalarium, and your thoughts on why some were excluded.

It seems that with only fifteen entries total, there isn't a great excuse for excluding any of the above designs.

17. NirAntae

NirAntae Avatar

We did it that way, because that was what we were asked to do. We were asked to narrow it down to a few finalists for FireLotus and Lord British to decide among. Thus, we voted on our favorites, discussed and commented on them, then sent the six finalists to FireLotus and Lord British along with our commentary on why we chose them as finalists.

And again: All the heraldic rules do apply; the color palette is not part of the heraldry rules. It is just our standard palette. As long as it is clear which color is being used, we have never required a particular image submitted by the public conform to specific RGB values, because it will be using our palette if and when included in game anyway, since there will be no direct importing of submitted images, but rather the devices will be built in game by the game itself.

18. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

can we please get a list of which designs made the cut? and perhaps some thoughts as to why certain designs made the cut, or didn't?

Amberraine likes this.
  19. Amber Raine

Amber Raine Community Ambassador (FR)

I know personally i was brought a number of devices and asked about them as part of the helpers to "weed out" ones that were not approved and did not follow rules, including colours and charges. I am curious why those of which did follow the rules to the direct letter of the law were not all submitted to be chosen from, what happened to the other nine if only fifteen were indeed submitted for judging? As they are all listed here as being submitted with and this is a direct qoute "We received a total of 15 entries and the Judges had positive things to say about all of them!" if all had positive things said about them, why were not all given to portalarium to also judge? Fifteen is not a large number to weed through, Sorry but I am also quite confused.

Thank you.

Dame Lori and Bubonic like this.
  20. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Draconny Queen;

As the blazons are what were judged, and recorded, could you please honor us with the blazons of the two winning devices?