Design Contest Announcement

Discussion in 'The College of Arms' started by Lord Kiron Maedun, May 13, 2014.

1. NirAntae

NirAntae Avatar

...Because we were asked to submit the finalists to FireLotus and Lord British, not all the valid entries we received. If that was what was requested of us, we gladly would have done so.

2. Ronan

Ronan Avatar

Permit me to try to clear the air.
    This contest is a player run contest in the spirit of fun and learning a bit about heraldry. Portalarium requested the College of Arms narrow down the choices for final decision. 15 entries were reviewed by the College of Arms by 4 Sovereigns, they were graded separately, we did not collaborate in our rankings. These rankings were then tallied and the top 6 were forwarded to Portalarium. They had asked for 5 BUT we sent them 6 because there was a tie for the 5th and 6th spot.
    The intent was to create an arms that "Could" be used for the town of Port Graff. That is Portalariums call not the College's. As a heraldic artist (irl) I understand the Heraldic rules are a guideline, each artist has his own style and colors which appeal to him or her. That said, the design if used will be rendered through the heraldic generator (which ever program is used) and be of that standard.
    Keep in mind not everyone has the bells and whistles graphics programs and they work their art however they can.

Lastly, please do not cry foul. If you produced an entry, did you learn a bit about heraldry? Did you enjoy trying to make something work to provide an image to represent something in the game? I think you might have. Remember that feeling, and congratulate the winner :)

3. NirAntae

NirAntae Avatar

Also, as a point of clarification, these are the rules of heraldry the College has established, and which entrants were expected to adhere to. There is nothing there about specific RGB values.

4. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

I didn't... but didn't expect to... However I seem to have an opportunity to do so now, thank you.
    Please teach me how to blazon the Duke's device.

5. Bajan Grace

Bajan Grace Avatar

[​IMG]
    Argent, chief vert , Emerald Faceted vert and argent.
    Or something along those lines.

[​IMG]
    Per wavy fess sable and blue celeste, in chief three pairs of hammer and pick in saltire Or
    I believe that is the blazon for both, feel free to correct me, I did just wake up and am prone to making mistakes.

6. Ronan

Ronan Avatar

Rufus, you forgot about the second half of that paragraph! Shame!
    Anyhow...I did not create the design, BUT, if I were to blazon that I would use the terms Emerald Faceted vert and argent.

Duke Gréagóir likes this.
  7. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

The Heraldic Emerald is a new charge with which I'm unfamiliar. Thank you. I'll research further now that I know the name of the charge.

8. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

from the contest rules:

Dame Lori likes this.
  9. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

It would be acceptable to call it any kind of gem, faceted brilliant of nine vert and argent. Many different gems can be cut in a similar way. None probably ever would be cut this simplistically, but the simplicity makes for a good charge and a stronger symbol, IMO. :)

I'd suggest:

Ashlynn's entry: Per bend wavy sable and blue celeste, in chief three pairs of hammer and pick in saltire Or in fess

Duke Gréagóir's entry: Argent, a chief vert and a gem faceted brilliant of nine vert and argent

Adiun is our blazon expert. He'd be the one to know for sure. :)

Duke Gréagóir and Dame Lori like this.
  10. Dame Lori

Dame Lori Avatar

I'm sorry, I have to do it. It was either this or the MJ popcorn meme. ;)

[​IMG]

I share the concerns mentioned here, but I still enjoyed the process, and I am happy for the winners. Congratulations. :)

11. Sir Korvash

Sir Korvash Avatar

I agree with the concerns here as well.

From the first sentence of the style guide:

"To be acceptable, charges should be clearly identifiable, in a simple “flat” style with minimal detail, and no shading or 3D effect."

The winning entry is in violation of this. I understand the decision has been made, however to put rules in place, and then to refer to them as "guidelines" afterwards is somewhat unfair. If it were a friendly competition for nothing more then to get people interested in heraldry, it would be understandable. However, it was openly stated at the start, that there would be a cash prize to the winners, as well as the potential for the entry to be used in game.

Either way, congratulations to the winners.

12. Lord Kiron Maedun

Lord Kiron Maedun Avatar

This event is something that I personally decided to do. I asked Port and the College to support me in it because frankly I do not know a ton about heraldry. Port supported my event by giving me information on a town, saying they would consider the winner for in-game use, and offering to help judge the submissions I forwarded. The college did so by being a screening process and trying to help make sure thing were close to being usable in game since they are the ones working all the technical issues with Port. With that being said, they both were just supporting MY event and neither of them gained anything but extra work by doing so.

I wrote the contest rules, I will be paying the prizes.

Were there issues with the rules yes and for that I am deeply sorry. However I made changes as earlier as I could to make people feel the contest was fair. But when it came down to what is being discussed now, I did not make what I did completely public knowledge. I did not state that that any reasonable entry would be forwarded to the Sovereigns for initial Judging; which is what I did. I did not state that not all the submissions would be viewed by Port for final judging, because when the contest was announced these details were not set. I wanted this contest to be fun, and get people to possibly develop an interest into heraldry. The majority of entrants did not possess a background in heraldry. Every submission I received was looked at and errors were pointed out to the submitter, however some people do not possess the artistic skill to design an image that would be usable in game; should that disqualify them? I did not think so, and as this was my event I made a decision based on that belief. However, ask any and every entrant, they received some comments by myself and others I had look at their images to try to build that interest and knowledge; even if that comment was that there was nothing wrong with it.

However as a fellow member of this community it bothers me that because of my event, people are upset with a group that has gone out of their way to help support our community for nothing other than a thank you.

If you are not happy with MY event or the results of it; blame me and no one else. If that is the case I am sorry.

To everyone, thank you for making this community worth supporting.

13. Amber Raine

Amber Raine Community Ambassador (FR)

Kiron

I personally would like to thank you for allowing me to be a part of the process and helping some people with their devices, it was fun, and an honour.

Duke Gréagóir and Lord Trenyc like this.
  14. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

It wasn't the cash prize for me, it was the possibility of.having my design selected for use as official coat of arms for the town. I was deeply disappointed when I realized my design wasn't even given a chance to be judged by lord British.

Dame Lori likes this.
  15. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

Thanks for sponsoring a great event idea. Nothing is perfect. But it seems, from what I'm reading, seems like the old no good deed goes unpunished routine.

Thanks again for your time and effort, looking forward to more ideas from you!

16. NirAntae

NirAntae Avatar

I think the problem is in the differentiation between the heraldic rules and our style guide.

We recommend the style guide. Anything brought into the game will comply to that style guide, including the winner. But they are not rules for the initial submission. That is where the quote about no shading came from, not the rules. If included in the game, it won't have shading. The presence or lack thereof of shading (or having precisely the right RGB value) did not even enter into our considerations.

That said, the difference between the two were not made quite clear enough. It was an honest mistake, and will be taken into consideration if something like this is done again. However, I think this is poor thanks to someone who really stepped up to try and do something very nice for the community.

17. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

No one is implying Lord Kiron did anything untoward. He quite clearly stated the rules of the contest, and they were well written and concise.

Lord Kiron was not a judge.

It was the responsibility of the judges to adhere to the rules as stated ;)

Aegis159, Dame Lori and Korvash like this.
  18. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

So when does the contest for the next V/T/C begin. I got ideas for days.

Dame Lori likes this.
  19. Bob Brave

Bob Brave Avatar

Thank you guys for that contest. I really enjoyed participating.
    Go on with your great work!

Lord Trenyc and NirAntae like this.
  20. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

This was my losing entry. If anyone would like to use it, feel free!

[​IMG]