Dev Feedback Request ~ Music in Shroud of of the Avatar

Discussion in 'Developer Depot' started by FireLotus, Aug 5, 2013.

1. FireLotus

FireLotus Community Manager

Message Count:
    In today's Hangout, Richard talked about his vision of music in Sgroud of the Avatar. If you missed the broadcast, you can catch up right here.

During the Hangout, Richard shared some of the pieces that he felt personified the story and soul of Shroud of the Avatar.

What ~we~ want to know is, what songs do you feel would be fitting for YOUR journey in New Britannia. Share your feedback with us right here.

Also, if you are interested in trying your hand at composing music for Shroud, check out this awesome contest thread. https://shroudoftheavatar.com/forum...ed-fan-fantasy-music-unofficial-contest.2376/
    We'll be watching this one closely. :)

*Please limit posts to feedback and suggestions only. Commentary on other people's submissions or off topic posts ~will~ be deleted. :D
  2. Koldar

Koldar Moderator

Message Count:
    I remember listening to a lot of Genesis (Specifically the Invisible Touch album) when I first played U6 and U7. The instrumental portions on several of those songs (Tonight, Domino, The Brazilian) fully immersed my conscience into another world. To this day when I listen to any one of the songs on that album, I have memories of walking through Britannia.
    Lachoneous and rild like this.
  3. Dame Lori

Dame Lori Avatar

Message Count:
    I'm in full agreement with LB's thoughts on melodies. The Ultima soundtracks, especially U7, are still with me to this day and I love listening to them. I approve of all the samples LB provided. The combination of old school type melodies + electronic sounds would be unique and fun and seem to fit with the technological progression hinted at in New Britannia. I've nothing more to add other than I hope he continues on that path. :)
  4. rild

rild Avatar

Message Count:
    Such an inspirational hangout! The short & targeted format worked very well.

On the ambient side of music, I really like the sounds Pantha du Prince uses (many recorded from nature)

These two tracks in particular

5. Parallaxe

Parallaxe Avatar

Message Count:
    There is a German group of composers called "Erdenstern" (translates roughly as "Earthstar"). They produce roleplay music, especially for P&P. But their tracks work very well for any kind of RPG. Here's one of my favourites, "Into the Red".
  6. mike11

mike11 Avatar

Message Count:
    Cool. Great to get the music theme questions answered.

I am still totally blown away by how many people want to create music and sound for Sota!

but, nowadays anyone with a computer can write compositions with free software. Times we live in are amazing.
    Kuno Brauer, Koldar and rild like this.
  7. fan.of.devin

fan.of.devin Avatar

Message Count:
    My favorite piece of music in the entire Ultima series, LOVE that track.
    Actually transcribed it to play on guitar years back... Wonder if I still remember how to play it.
  8. timedilation

timedilation Avatar

Message Count:
    There were 2 great music pieces I remember hearing which happened to come right out of the fan video contest:

This first one is a just wonderful exploration-type track.
    SKIP to 2:03

This next one is good combat-type track with the same melodic theme.
    SKIP to 1:33

I don't know where to find the full versions for those 2 pieces which I find utterly captivating and entirely fitting for SotA. What are your thoughts?
    Caliya, Kuno Brauer, cs2501x and 2 others like this.
  9. Père Fouettard

Père Fouettard Avatar

Message Count:
    For me "Come Sail Away" by the Styx and "More Than a Feeling" by Boston = the first time my dad put Ultima VI in front of me. Unforgettable.
    By the time UO launched I was listening to Rage Against the Machine... perhaps more relevant for SotA though, the music for Trinsic, Cove and Vesper are beyond words imo.
    Stronghold 2 also has a soundtrack that has stuck with me (e.g. Minstrelosity, Two Mandolins, and others).
    Regardless of whether the Moscow Symphony Orchestra is within budget Ubisoft's Outcast might be a good source of musical inspiration as well.
  10. Arkhan

Arkhan Avatar

Message Count:
    What I am most concerned with is whether or not the instruments will be real full blown orchestral stuff, or synthesized stuff.

this:

versus something like:

I think video games do better with pretend instruments that are attempting to be real. Ultima VI did a pretty glorious job with stuff like:

It gives the games more character when the instruments are sampled/synthesized.
    Koldar likes this.
  11. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Avatar

Message Count:
    Perhaps these songs could help with inspiration. I've collected Ultima music over the years, like I'm sure we all have:
    These are the same songs from the original games, but they are versions played and recorded using the best soundcards (Roland) of their day..
    Ultima 3
    · Campfire
    · Wanderer
    Ultima 5
    · Captain John’s Hornpipe
    · Worlds Below
    Ultima VI
    · Bootup
    Ulitma Online
    - Character Creation - same song as Bootup from Ultima VI, for comparison.. :)
    Kuno Brauer, Archaaz, rild and 3 others like this.
  12. edge3000

edge3000 Avatar

Message Count:
    Here's a few more songs for inspiration:

When it comes to music from games, I always loved the simplicity of the title themes from the Ultima 7 games, and the town themes from U7 and UO.

Also its hard to beat the masterpiece that is the Tristram theme from Diablo 2:

And how could I forget to list my favourite game music of all time: Stones by Iolo. More Iolo please!!
    Kuno Brauer likes this.
  13. Arkhan

Arkhan Avatar

Message Count:

My only nitpick, is that the 6581 SID was the best soundthing of Ultima 3's day.

:)

I think SotA would do amazingly well with MIDI support, so all of us who have MT-32s and Soundcanvas modules sitting around can make use of them once again.
  14. Ome

Ome Avatar

Message Count:
    Richard, you ever seen the scroll system in Mabinogi fantasy life? Since music is composed in scrolls, multiple people can play a part in sync.
    Each person just has to have the music scroll equipped with the part they are playing and
    be in a party. The group leader starts the song. The scrolls in Mabinogi would only allow for 3 tracks and the more experienced you got, the
    longer you could make the music in a scroll.
    You could lock the scrolls so that people couldn't copy your scores and they could be played 100 times. I sold a lot of music scrolls in
    Mabinogi and I gotta say, its a really solid bard music system. Deffinately worth a look. I've been itching for a new game where you can make
    and sell music scrolls like in Mabinogi but nobody has done anything like it yet that I've found.
    Love Ultima VI bootup song btw, played that one a ton with my bard.
    Caliya and Kuno Brauer like this.
  15. cs2501x

cs2501x Moderator

Message Count:

Of the things I've heard, the music in this video has the strongest appeal to me. I particularly like the overworld music.
    Kuno Brauer likes this.
  16. Mordecai

Mordecai Avatar

Message Count:
    I never used to listen to music while I played UO. It was either no sound at all, or game sound only.

On a side note, why was this image flashed on the Hangout of the Avatar 8.5.13 twice?
    http://postimg.org/image/87tj9mxsl/
    Caliya likes this.
  17. Vyrinor

Vyrinor Avatar

Message Count:
    It would be great if some songs even had lyrics, such as a performer in a tavern. I think of performers like Blackmore's Night, Loreena McKennit, Christopher Tin (although more of a modern feel here), ES Posthumus

But for soundtracks: Ennio Morricone's sountrack for the Mission (best soundtrack EVER, imho), Clint Mansell's soundtrack for The Fountain, ES Posthumus, Loreena McKennit, Tarja Turunen's Oasis, Brian Crain, Helen Jane Long.
    Kuno Brauer and Archaaz like this.
  18. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

Message Count:
    Yea I usually turn the music off while playing games.
    But here is one artist I've been listening to lately that might work.

Miracle Dragon and Kuno Brauer like this.
  19. mike11

mike11 Avatar

Message Count:
    · Metallica – Enter Sandman: Metallica Power Ballads fit the melodic, powerful style I would like to achieve for some parts and the “intro” theme song.
    · Metallica – Unforgiven
    · Metallica – Nothing Else Matters

i always thought that perhaps some of the Ultima stuff was inspired from Metallica. It definitely has a similar melody structure in some cases.
    Miracle Dragon and Kuno Brauer like this.
  20. mike11

mike11 Avatar

Message Count:
    I have 2 questions as a music submitter.

1) dates for completion (i'm thinking early 2014 for final final submissions)
    2) is there a limit to the number of submissions per entrant?