Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Dialogue - keywords autohidden

Discussion in 'Release 42 Dev+ Feedback Forum' started by Jens_T, May 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jens_T

Jens_T Avatar

I noticed that the keywords ribbon seems to be autohidden now. It only becomes visible after clicking on a small arrow.
    The option is nice, but I'd probably use it "opt-in" to not confuse players.

2. Lum the Mad

Lum the Mad Developer Emeritus Dev Emeritus

@Lord British felt people were only focusing on the keyword ribbon and not reading the dialog.

Mischievous Dragon and CrazyPhil like this.
  3. Jens_T

Jens_T Avatar

Thank you @Lum the Mad - it still might be a good idea to include the ribbon in the New User Tutorial - without a direct pointer they might not find it. With the current limitations of the parser I found the keyword ribbon very convenient. Also, wild clicking on keywords could be done with the text as well. But I guess no discussing with a Lord ;)

No sidetracking intended, but improving the perception of the dialogue goes hand in hand with context description, different font / gumps / size etc. I'll trust you guys to find a solution everybody (the old schoolers that is) is happy with.

4. Twiggi Fizzlesticks

Twiggi Fizzlesticks Avatar

Then some dialogue might have to be redone.

I started a new game in offline mode (not sure if that is relevant or not)

I crossed the bridge with Edvard and talked to him. I must have left the conversation without triggering everything necessary, as I couldn't access the boat. There was nothing left on my task list but Journey to Soltown and Give Abigail the Good News,

Talking to Edvard did not reveal any new key words. I typed boat or something like that and things proceeded after that. But a new player may not think to do that. So you either need to have the key word strip or important keywords need to be present in the initial text from an NPC.

I just put in a bug report for this (not sure if its a bug or not, but something needs to change)

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...if-conversation-with-edvard-ends-early.89901/

5. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

@Lum the Mad, this sucks. How do I get the keyword list back?

6. Mischievous Dragon

Mischievous Dragon Riparian Reaper

@Lum the Mad @wizardsmoke

Improvement Suggestion:
    • Scale up the tiny arrow in the Chat UI by 1.5
    • Add a hint to the Chat UI that you have to click on the arrow to reveal the keywords. But the hint should not trigger until you are in the Battle of Solace Bridge Tutorial. Whatever you do, don't make the hint to trigger in the Isle of Storms Tutorial.
    An image of the improvement suggestion:
    [​IMG]

Rinaldi likes this.
  7. Rinaldi

Rinaldi Bug Hunter

And maybe consider an option to "pin" (keep open) and "unpin" (keep closed) the keyword expansion on all conversions.

On a side note:
    I am not a fan of the horizontal listing for key words, and would prefer a vertical listing, with unused words sorting to the top of the list, and used words sorting to the bottom of the list. I know this issue has been discussed before, but perhaps reconsider the vertical listing.

Pic is from this long thread about how to improve the chat window.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.