Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Disapointed in how bright night is now

Discussion in 'Release 27 Feedback Forum' started by fireflygirl, Feb 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fireflygirl

fireflygirl Avatar

yes have you ever been out in the woods at night, you need a source of light to see more then a few feet, that's my point, I would like being out in the woods at night in SotA to be more realistic in this way. it creates a natural problem you have to over come, you ether need to be prepared with light source or you are going to have issue. Its why I liked SotA in the first place, instead of creating a game that avoid these problems, SotA was embracing realize and giving us the tools to deal with the problems. I totally agree the light spell need a bigger AOE because it was to small and you could not see much beyond its small radius, but to make the dead of night the same light level as dusk just ruins the effect. You should be able to see a short distance in the with out a light source, with a light sources you should be able to see much farther, night vision should allow you to see as if it was day, but just not in as much detail. I that is my opinion and feed back, devs take it for what its worth.

2. Baratan

Baratan Avatar

Not normally you don't, not even in Cherry Springs State Park, PA which has some of the darkest night skies in the world unless it's mostly cloudy or a new moon. If you've got a moon and 6 or 7 planetoids you'd be in pretty good shape as long as you're not underneath heavy vegetation, inside of a cave, etc.

In my opinion the candle-light spell we have would actually disrupt someone's natural night vision and while it will allow them to see just fine within the spell's range, they'd be totally blind outside of that range. Since non-red light disrupts natural night vision activation.

Here's some light reading, http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/438001.pdf
    Without torches or magical spells messing with your natural night vision, you can effectively spot camouflaged soldiers at reasonable distances because when using night vision, the eyes ability to detect motion replaces it's ability to detect color.

Under
    no-moon
    conditions,
    the
    maximum
    visibility
    range
    was
    about
    meters.
    Under
    full-moon
    conditions,
    the
    minimum
    visibility
    distance
    was
    about
    meters.

I don't know why it's formatted so horribly. I copied and pasted it. :(

TLDR; Without the aid of light sources, natural or magical you should be able to see further and with less detail than with the aid of such sources in post-twilight lighting conditions. If the game's engine has HDR available, it could be simulated realistically by adjusting the scene's gamma and saturation accordingly in darkness.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2016
    Chatele and Alley Oop like this.
  3. Ravenclaw [BEAR]

Ravenclaw [BEAR] Avatar

Maybe these are the ranges for vision in an open field but having walked through many a forests at night while camping, I can say with certainty that it becomes difficult to see your hand in front of your face without a light source. Granted open areas are easier but not too the point of it being twilight like conditions.

4. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

Can't be that dark then. Here in Sweden I can assure you that you need a flashlight if you're going out where there are no street lamps.

stratigos and Fister Magee like this.
  5. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

I'm okay with each planet casting their color across New Britannia at night - maybe if they're highest in the night sky, that color tints the world around us! that would be cool. Ah, it's a purple night.. maybe that'd help us to craft under the proper light, for the desired magical effect? :-D

Ahuaeynjgkxs and 4EverLost like this.
  6. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

Very cool idea.

7. Baratan

Baratan Avatar

"Here in Sweden" doesn't even make the list.

http://darksky.org/idsp/parks/
    http://darksky.org/idsp/finder/

I've actually been to one of the darkest night sky places in the world and you're right that you'd need a flashlight if you're "going out". Going out implies you're coming from somewhere else that's already illuminated. When you go out you'r eyes are probably going to be in almost total day-vision mode and it takes a good 20 minutes or more to adapt to full night vision mode. If our adventurers are outside adventuring when day transitions to night their eyes will adjust faster than the sun sets.

That's an excellent idea. I'd love to see that implemented, instead of just having an orange sunset and pink sunrise have a plethora of different ambient lights for different nights depending on the plenetoid locations.

8. Quenton

Quenton Avatar

I think for us to have much real feedback on this, people need to post screenshots along with where their brightness slider is sitting. Probably along with your /bug notes.

smack and Roycestein Kaelstrom like this.
  9. smack

smack Avatar

That's all fine and dandy but it hardly does anything for the in-game experience. There are forum comments where they calibrated their display using out-of-game settings but the in-game brightness was completely out of whack.

They need a similar gamma-corrected reference image in the game options that lets the player adjust out-of-game and in-game settings to get the image to display "correctly" (i.e. as devs intended), and then they can adjust those settings to their liking. It's very likely the internal rendering values and the slider does is not sufficient (i.e. range) for quite a few players.

Yeah the /bug can be enhanced to copy your brightness setting (and others) as a numerical value. And if you aren't using /bug, you should, but at the very least, use /loc, as not all scenes have the same lighting.

10. Fox Cunning

Fox Cunning Localization Team

I must say that after the last patch things look much better (on the Windows version at least: it looks just weird in Linux but that may be due to my customised drivers' settings).
    I still need ReShade/SweetFX, but nights look like nights, and dungeons don't look like a shopping centre at 12 o'clock anymore :D

11. Ravenclaw [BEAR]

Ravenclaw [BEAR] Avatar

I was just decorating my house and I find it is darker indoors now with lights than it is outside with none. I could understand with no lights but I've plastered torches and candles everywhere and still have trouble seeing things. Would like the lights to be brighter indoors. Otherwise, I can live with night the way it is now.

12. Noric

Noric Avatar

Very happy with the current state of night lighting as well

13. Peabo

Peabo Avatar

Cant see at night, decoration lighting is terrible, I put a lamp post up and it looks like its powered by a glow-worm - I dont want a glowing post, I want a LIGHT! The strain on my eyes is painful. I've turned every setting up to the brightest and I still have to strain to see at night.

Xandra7, smack, Chatele and 2 others like this.
  14. Gix

Gix Avatar

I'd recommend that people would calibrate their computer screens before doing any commenting on brightness (or lack of thereof), otherwise the argument/discussion is a bit pointless. Screenshots can help but even those are subject to look different from computer to computer.

As a graphic artist who's lively-hood relies on keeping his equipment calibrated, the night scenes weren't dark, they were completely black... and they were unplayable.

I'm glad scene lighting is being revised.

smack likes this.
  15. Caradin

Caradin Avatar

Before R27 I never had any problem with night. Now I read about all you having way too much brightness at night when it changed the opposite for me. Cant really see anything at night, even with max brightness on slider. Way too dark. Also in my house its way too dark at night. The lights doesnt seem to light very much.

smack and Chatele like this.
  16. Daevin Aruth

Daevin Aruth Avatar

No matter what setting that Portalarium decides on there will be unhappy people based upon their pc configuration and the games settings. perhaps a wider min - max game settings? I don't think there will be a universal acceptable setting due to variances.

17. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

I think the extra slider helps a lot.. and I can get the perfect darkness now, not pitch black, but dark enough that I require the night vision spell (since the light spell sucks).

18. 4EverLost

4EverLost Avatar

I had the same situation. Playing with the saturation helped some though. Might want to give it a try if you haven't yet? It does give an unholy yellow tinge to things though if you go over board. But it looked rather nice - especially inside the buildings - an old-fashioned glow, so to speak?:)

Ice Queen likes this.
  19. Skathi Lyn Oks

Skathi Lyn Oks Avatar

Havent read the OP. In my opinion night is perfect.

20. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

I have that same problem, Amen. You hit it on the nose, ones darkness is another's nightmare, and visa versa. So they need to give us more individual control over brightness because equipment varies.

smack likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.