Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Discussions: Heraldry System

Discussion in 'Release 52 Feedback Forum' started by Kara Brae, Mar 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

Has anyone made a COA that has a background color? The one I originally made does, and it would look terrible as a square. It seems that only a shape on a transparent background will end up looking nice on clothing and banners. A shape is not a COA.

2. Rada Torment

Rada Torment Community Ambassador (ES)

I have been here 4 years and I feel a bit "out" of things like this when I find out I don't hace access because my pledge level. I really hope we all can get this in the future.

Enjoy it those who can now, looks awesome :)

kaeshiva, Cordelayne, Numa and 2 others like this.
  3. Gorthyn

Gorthyn Avatar

Very impressed but also very jealous ! ;) Hopefully this will be offered to the rest of us at some point as has been suggested.

kaeshiva and BulliedOutOfHisWits like this.
  4. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

it will be available... soon I hope. It sure is strange that the devs didn't communicate if its because they wanted to give the priority to pledge backers over a certain level, or if they just forgot that it would be something VERY popular that people would like to buy at launch.

In both cases... I'm asking myself serious questions right now... I feel almost as if I was from a parallel reality.

5. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

yes I know Rada. Things that we thought nothing of during pledging have now come back to bite us and seem unfair at many times. This is very important to give this to all players. That is my feeling on it. I don't care that it was suppose to be a pledge reward and that is what gave incentive to some to pledge higher. That we cannot help now. We just need to do what is best for the game and adding this so all players can do it is fair now. *cheers*

edit and yes I agree it is not all about fairness but that this would be an interesting and fun thing for the game too. ;)

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
    Numa and Rada Torment like this.
  6. Numa

Numa Avatar

I'm putting it on record that I'd be happy with black and white heraldry. Let the pledgers have their technicolor ones - it's only fair.

Black Tortoise and Cordelayne like this.
  7. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

In all fairness, I don't think fairness dictates how this game will get funds, this is one missed opportunity to make a lot of happy people on launch.

If the game was in any way structured like a RPG and pledges actually meant something, then I'd agree.

But now everyone can be a super-man knight of vainquishing.

So be it, we wanted a sims, sell those sims options and this will fund a better game and THIS is fair to all backers. Don't forget some invested 10 times the amount we did to have less advantage and reward than we do, they all deserve a little candy, right now. (processing and vet time apply :p)

8. Numa

Numa Avatar

I have yet to see a KS campaign that did well after it started breaking KS promises. There's another much bigger project on KS that did this barely a year after their KS campaign ended. It has snowballed to the point where we may yet see one of the biggest crowdfunded collapses in KS history.

The same reasons for breaking the KS promise was used in that case - fairness, pulling in new players & funds.

A promise is a promise, specially when it's recorded in black and white on the KS page.

9. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Please don't make me also boycott heraldry :p

I won't use it until my other friends who put more money into this game, even if at a later time, can use it.

If there is no reaction or communication about it, thats it for me.

People tell me all the time to stop crying that people who started a few months ago have a bigger house than me who backed at KS, I certainly won't cry if someone pays portalarium to make their avatar more unique and recognisable.

P-S - OP or Mods can request of me to remove all those messages, I didn't mean to derail this beautiful thread but things like this make me irate.

10. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

@Earl Atogrim von Draken, yes, Most Certainly you can... You'll want to put it on a square image and make the background transparent, leaving only the achievement with color.

The way things are currently structured, any device that is dependent on the Field is not workable, unless you're happy with a simple image plopped down in the center of the banner, your shield, or your chest. You CAN put your device on a Heater Shield Shape, and that on a square image with a transparent background... That may be acceptable to many... The third option is to bite the bullet and rework your heraldry to work on a simple single color field. This is the option I've chosen...

I was going to post the images I've submitted for Myself and another for an alternate character that will be used as the Arms for Dawn's Keep, but then realized anyone would be able to copy and use them themselves... :p

They are 512x512 square PNG images with the background color set to Transparent. They will be automatically resized to 256x256 and put in-game after the approval process.

Once in-game, you can use the symbol on your heraldic items and dye the garment, shield, and (hopefully eventually) the banner to be the color of field you wish. There is even the possibility of using different color fields for different purposes.

I'll post pictures once they make it through the approval process...

The limitations of the system as implemented came as a shock to me... but with the image upload capability, we do have some flexibility... The arms I use as my Forum Avatar were designed for Rufus around the turn of the Millennium and at first I was nearly despondent over not being able to use them properly in-game. I've come up with alternatives that are not dependent on anything other than a simple field, and am happy with the result.

I used to be a member of the College of Arms, and helped many people design arms to register... If any of you would like help redesigning your devices to conform to the realities of the New Age, please ping me and I can at least consult if not produce art for you...

11. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

They did communicate about this. They rushed it in for launch to fulfill the backer reward and plan to open it to all for some cost in the future.

12. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

They did... and I, as a Royal Founder, support the move of opening up another potential income stream, especially one that will add more Uniqueness to the game, as I value the long term health of the game over some petty possessiveness over promises being broken, especially when they're not being broken. Just as they made Royal Founder and Founder items distinct from each other with the Royal Founders got their knickers in a twist, they've made sure that even when Heraldry is made available to all for a fee, I will still have my Unique items on which to display my Heraldry, and will be able to be picked out from the crowd as a one of those Son of a B!#@h Whales.

13. jschoice

jschoice Avatar

I have to agree with others that I believe the Devs can offer an option in the shop that can be slightly different enough that the pledges will not feel they were jilted.

Ahuaeynjgkxs and Cordelayne like this.
  14. ErikRulez

ErikRulez Avatar

Just curious, what pledge level were the heraldry items on? I don't see them on the kickstarter page

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  15. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

16. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

At this point, the system we have isn't even approaching heraldry.

Or, I suppose we could just say New Brittanian heraldry is nothing like real world heraldry.

However, being able to design and upload an image is the system most players seem to want. So, that's fine.

Being able to dye tabards is a good thing.
    Not being able to dye banners by design seems like a mistake. I hope that can be reconsidered.

Sean Silverfoot, Ronan and jschoice like this.
  17. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Exactly what promise is broken here? Where does it say heraldry will forever be exclusive to one group of people?

JohnL and Barugon like this.
  18. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

It seems to be this was the quickest and easiest way to get the system up and running. Perhaps now that we have launch there will be an opportunity to improve on how they're applied. (Can hope right?)

19. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Good points. One thing I learned form the Collage of Arms is real world heraldry is not real world heraldry.

I attended one meeting to get a feel for the group and was basically verbally attacked for not immediately knowing that individuals or families cannot have one but only large groups can. I never came back to ever participate with that group again. I made my COA, helped Sansa with hers, and that was it .

Well when you attend ten faires you can have an individual heraldry made up just for you based on your family name. Times change so does traditions.

20. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

TBH, all it says is that if you gave them $x+, you would get to create a family crest and bring it into the game. It says nothing about that being exclusive to backers.

Bowen Bloodgood likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.