Do Not Separate Avatar Exp Pools on Same Account

Discussion in 'Feedback Archive' started by Black Tortoise, Mar 30, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elgarion

Elgarion Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

I linked this thread to the team, good input :)

FrostII, Black Tortoise and Ostvel like this.
  2. Ostvel

Ostvel Avatar

Just a thought from one who doesn't understand the complexities involved.....but could they leave just the prod xp pooled while not allowing the rest to pool? My thoughts are that that would relieve a lot of the concern here.

3. Rowell

Rowell Avatar

I was against pooled XP from the get go. Each character should be a separate entity; separate XP (adv and prod), separate gold, separate virtue.
    Pooling the XP was a complete disincentive to playing alts, as leveling those alts "stole" the pooled XP from my main character.
    Glad that XP is being split out, especially if some people were abusing it.

4. Brandter

Brandter Avatar

High level characters and low level characters sharing an XP pool? What could possibly go wrong?

It was a terrible idea in the first place.

5. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

Thanks everyone - I flipped out when I wrote this and rushed to make a post before my wifey made me walk the dog. My bad for the harshness in my tone.

I am being sincere here, whats the problem with this? No *new* exp was generated here, you just transferred from one avatar to another (and also now have to level those skills up with said 8.5bn exp pool).

I dont see how anyone in the community can be affected negatively by this. It also seems to fit in well with the concept of avatars.

----

I am being sincere here as well: dont underestimate the simple yet profound joy of decking all your alts out with super cool outfits. All my avatars have a combat suit and a casual suit, complete with accessories and accoutrements. I find a lot of satisfaction in this, personally :)

Thanks for laying this out so linearly - I hadnt thought of it like this, but this describes me.

I cant afford to do that - I play casually (though often) and cant dream of getting that much silver again, let alone gold.

Thanks Lace, I think the ordering of the items in your post makes a lot of sense and lays the problem out really clearly.

----

I always right click, and edit note, when I add a friend. My friends list has information as to how I met the person and other details I know about them. I also only accept a friend invite from someone Ive met in the game at some point, so ymmv. Either way, its possible to assist with this. I understand how confusing it can be though.

tysm for pointing that out, and I also appreciate the general sympathy in your post :)

Cordelayne likes this.
  6. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

Thank you, I deeply appreciate it, and feel acknowledged by the team.

I personally can live with this, though I dont like it. However, there might be players that do the same thing I am doing but with adv exp, and they may feel left out.

Lets always keep in mind that the majority of players are not on this forum, and their voices arent being represented..

FrostII and Ostvel like this.
  7. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

You really summed things up for me here BT. Although I don't craft, the game has clearly moved away from questing/story and as you said, "is quite likely the worst MMO ever made for questing." I have pretty much given up, again, that the story and quests will EVER get any love. So at this juncture they might as well just make this a crafter's paradise/medieval sims game.

8. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

The being a low level with a ton of exp well beyond the level could be used for events like virtue league, or zones that have level caps.

9. Lazarus Long

Lazarus Long Avatar

Couldn't agree more. Avatars and accounts should never have been merged together in the first place.

Each should have independent banks and pools.

Gotta say that's the best description I have heard. And I agree.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
    Dollar Bill, FrostII, Dinsoo and 3 others like this.
  10. Bedawyn

Bedawyn Avatar

I'm happy to see the shared XP gone. I'm a little surprised to see that people are already so attached to a feature that didn't exist when I joined the game last spring -- and that I hated from the moment it was introduced. What the shared XP has meant to me is that I have to micro-manage my same-account roleplay alts in an unrealistic way in order to avoid them leeching adv exp from their actual adventurer.

I'd never thought about the benefits of using an adventurer's gathering XP to level up my crafters, because the shared gold (instituted at the same time as shared xp) meant there was NO WAY IN HELL I was going to create my crafter alts on the same account as my adventurer and be unable to judge who had earned what. I do sympathize with folks who feel the shared XP is the only way to survive as a crafter -- but I see it as a peanut-butter-and-duct-tape jury-rig to the problem rather than an actual solution. I don't want players to settle down with a third-rate "solution" because they've given up on anything better; I want us to keep clamoring until the devs finally fix the economy and crafting game.

11. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

If you had utilized the shared exp pool, you would understand why people are attached to it. Its cool that you never did, in fact, I too was against it at first. But then it happened. And then I changed my entire time investment in this game to utilize the shared pool. Now its being taken away as a nuclear option to a recent exploit for questing, and I am stuck with a massive time and silver/gold sink and dont believe I can recover from it.

Bedawyn and FrostII like this.
  12. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

NEW IDEA: Create an in-game feature where one avatar can transfer exp to another avatar's pool, on the same account. Both avatars must be > adv level 30, and > 2 weeks earth time old.

This way, my GM gatherer is not generating useless exp forever, and my abandoned Producer alts which cant generate exp will have a way of getting it from the Gatherer.

Ostvel likes this.
  13. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Just think, if you created a half dozen alts right now, then unlearned everything, when the pooled xp ends you'd have a half dozen alts each with 8.5 billion xp...

14. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Meh, this just sounds like a way this can be exploited in this way now grrrr.

15. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Well, I didn't think you would. Just pointing out a potential exploit of the "fix."

Mac2 likes this.
  16. Numa

Numa Avatar

This and other related threads makes me glad I missed all the "fun" of the past 2 weeks :) Getting ready to download the real stable version of the game.

Black Tortoise likes this.
  17. necronut

necronut Avatar

Server wipe.

18. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

I don't like shared xp/virtue/banks on alts. If they must be shared, so should completed quests, which would prevent the current exploit.

19. Sulaene Moon

Sulaene Moon Avatar

Exploits, the gift that keeps on giving.

20. Jakkal

Jakkal Bug Hunter

I'm relatively new to the game so don't have all the insights into this issue. I can see how Chris's plan was rushed and is rough for some players, but it shouldn't be that horrible. The affected players likely have a decent sized adv pool in what remains of their shared xp pool, so they should be able to level up their alts fairly quickly so they can do their own gathering for crafting xp. As long as those alts get around level 50-60 they can farm elysium mines for crafting xp. It may not be as efficient as the designated adventurer and designated alt crafter, but presuming the changes for increased crafter xp are made, the alts shouldn't require as much time to produce similar or greater crafting xp to what they were getting before this. Maybe you'll have more fun, playing alts with different skill sets.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.