Do you use Nvidia's G-Sync or AMD's Freesync? Performance Check

Discussion in 'Hardware, Software, Tech' started by Berek, Feb 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

G-Sync is Nvidia's special frame matching function between a GPU and monitor. AMD's version is called Freesync. In order to use these, you must have a compatible video card and monitor, so most of you won't for this potential performance improvement.

We've received some reports that turning OFF G-Sync (for those who have the proper video card and monitor with it in use) improves framerates across the game. This may be due to drivers or any number of incompatibilities between system components or the game. Freesync may not have this problem, though these two types of frame rate matching systems function similarly.

If you are using the features, try turning them off just to see if it happens to improve performance, and you don't mind not using it...

A reminder to ensure your system is updated in all areas! GPU drivers, system drivers, Windows/Mac/Linux general drivers, other programs, etc. Keeping a healthy system clean and updated will ensure Shroud of the Avatar, and all your other games, run as smooth as possible. And if you don't have an SSD storage drive as you main system and game drive, we highly recommend you get one! It will improve loading times significantly.

LiquidBlaze, Barugon and rpgmaniac82 like this.
  2. Trihugger

Trihugger Avatar

G-Sync has been riddled with immense problems since Windows 10 updated to the Creators (of Problems) Edition. The Fall Creators Update didn't help. As it stands the drivers "function" on a game-by-game basis for G-Sync, if at all, depending on your hardware. There are numerous tweaks to try and mileage once again varies.

You can basically take a stroll to the Nvidia Geforce Forums to get an idea of how many problems people have been having trying to get this thing to work.

No idea on AMD's Freesync. I can't comment on if that works or not. I can say those monitors are a hell of a lot cheaper though.

Cordelayne likes this.
  3. Fazza

Fazza Avatar

Certainly worth pointing out.
    @Berek Under what conditions is the FPS expected/reported to drop under GSYNC?

I just ran some tests in static locations in fullscreen mode and windowed mode with both GSYNC enabled for both under NVIDIA control panel and disabled. I got exactly the same score using the Steam overlay FPS counter in all 4 states. (eg. 41 FPS in front of my house).

Perhaps its only applicable when gsync attempts to match FPS on monitor as it does on g-card output when drops and gains change very activly rather than static situations. Of course, the simple steam overlay FPS counter might not be the most accurate.

So in my very limited tests, there appears to be no difference. But thats not to say it wont be for someone else on another rig. Worth checking for sure!

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
  4. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

On Linux, using my Radeon RX480(8gig) card, I edited my .drirc file and turned off vsynch which vastly improved my framerate in most places. I was limited to 60fps before I disabled the vsynch and now, in places like my basement, I get over 150FPS. Even places where I normally only get 5-20FPS(big towns with lots of dynamic items), I seem to get a 5-10FPS boost by having vsynch disabled. If you have the file in your system, you can try disabling vsynch and see if it makes a difference, Either add this section to your file or edit it so that "vblank_mode" = "0":

Code:
    </device>
       <device screen="0" driver="dri2">
           <application name="Default">
               <option name="vblank_mode" value="0" />
           </application>
       </device>

Use the following line to replace the "0" value for vblank_mode to cut it back on:

Code:
    <option name="vblank_mode" value="1" />

5. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

This is different than gsync. All you're doing here is allowing the GPU to swap frame buffers without syncing to your display. This won't improve your visual experience.

6. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

My computer has been built with Gsync and Windows 7 for one year now.

I didn't notice any bad performance when I used it for the first time, while I was playing in higher resolution with my old graphic card. Actually, it was quite the contrary.

The game was playable with 25~30 fps and not "so" bad in the 15~25 fps range.

I would not do without it.

7. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

If it improves framerate without noticeable tearing, how does that not "...improve your visual experience."? Yes, Gsync is different than Vsync, but they work toward the same goal; smoother visuals. Vsync does "sync" to your monitors refresh rate. It, in fact, limits your frame output to the refresh rate of your monitor(removing tearing, but creating input lag), whereas Gsync will coordinate your monitors refresh rate with video cards output(removing tearing while avoiding input lat. Vsync is kind of like a governer, as it limits your frame output to the max refresh rate of your monitor. So, if you're monitor has a 60Hz refresh rate, and have vsync on, your FPS is capped at 60FPS So, some players may benefit from cutting vsync off, provided they don't experience too much tearing. I believe some use Vsync in conjunction with Gsync also; based on certain conditions being met, vsync will kick in.

8. shathiell

shathiell Avatar

I have an AMD RX Vega 56 card and a Freesync monitor. Just tried running around hometown for 10 mins and didn't notice any difference with Freesync enabled or disabled

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.