Does anybody want a first-person view?

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by tekkamansoul, Mar 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TemplarAssassin

TemplarAssassin Avatar

Probably. Wasn't I who said that.

2. TemplarAssassin

TemplarAssassin Avatar

BTW, first person should be quite easy. You could have some kind of FP even in WoW - by just zooming in until you can't see your character!

MagiK and Mordecai like this.
  3. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Elder Scrolls - Never played that RPG series. I think the first one with the female fighter in the string bikini with large, well, on the box art really killed it for me before it started.

4. TemplarAssassin

TemplarAssassin Avatar

Huh? I don't remember any content of this kind in TES. Everything is quite realistic.

5. Arkhan

Arkhan Avatar

6. Duke Gréagóir

I am sure Elder Scrolls is a great game series as they have had tons of sequels. I just don't know first hand.

Might and Magic was another series I played to get my RPG fix before the gold box AD&D games debuted.

MagiK likes this.
  7. MagiK

MagiK Avatar

Who gets box art these days? Eldre Scrolls are great...well the last 3 of them have been, Daggerfall ...didnt impress me.

8. MagiK

MagiK Avatar

Wish GoG would release the Gold Box games...of course they could be updated ala BGEE...got all the M&M games though :D

smack likes this.
  9. smack

smack Avatar

You really should give Elder Scrolls a chance. Just pick up Skyrim when it goes on sale on Steam or something and be sure to check out the user mods on Nexus.

Indeed! I still need to pick up the M&M games though, but I'm already way backed up on my games list.

MagiK likes this.
  10. Duke Gréagóir

Back when I was gaming in 1994 box art was very important as it was a first impression. Unless you were familiar with a series (like Tie Fighter) already.

Today it is a few screen shots and a few pictures to convey the same message. Not just one single box front.

TemplarAssassin likes this.
  11. MagiK

MagiK Avatar

lol Yes but Im no longer living in 1980, All my purchases have been digital for a long while now. I grew up witht he adage "never judge a book by its cover" and so never really paid attention to box art. Yeah I might look at the box initially but it was the write ups in Apple magazine and later other Mags that influenced my purchase.

12. MagiK

MagiK Avatar

Yeah Nexus is the place to be for Elder Scrolls mods. Id say Morrowwind, Oblivion and Skyrim are all worth investigating "If" you enjoy wide open HUGE RPG's.

Mordecai likes this.
  13. Floors

Floors Avatar

I think it should be like in Skyrim, which is kind of the standard, at least visually, for these types of modern games. But you know, since we are making this in a year for 2-3 million bucks, I'll just be happy to have a house in the game :)

14. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

I want to zoom out I dont want my Character filling the screen. the greater the depth the better to give a good all round view.

15. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Not only that I want to see how my character looks. In an RPG our imagination is a nessisary component of the game. Being able to see your own character, and how cool he or she looks may actually be more immersive than first person view. I know that sounds almost backwards, but think about it for a second. We watch movies and even though we don't see through the eyes of the characters in the movies we feel drawn in. In fact if we only saw through the eyes of the characters the experience of the movie would be very odd, and likely make it less immersive instead of more immersive.

First person view to me makes me feel like I'm in a first person shooter, and it takes away the magical feel of the story. So let there be an option for zooming into a first person mode for those who want it, but I'll never use it except for moments I want to look at a particular site or building. I would not want to play in first person mode all the time, I want to have a little bit of the movie experience to make it more immersive.

smack and mitchellhamilton like this.
  16. Deus_Irae

Deus_Irae Avatar

If anything I'd prefer the old UO view...just updated graphic wise perhaps. I know I'm in the minority here though!

wagram likes this.
  17. smack

smack Avatar

Some very good points here, but to add to that: immersion doesn't necesarily mean point of view. We can be just as immersed in a book regardless if it's written in first person, second person, or third person. Likewise for an interactive medium like RPGs. How well the game draws you in with its visuals, music, effects, story telling and specifically for this type of medium, user interface (which includes interactivity, player control), are all key elements of that immersive experience.

And for me, first person view serves that purpose most effectively. Camera angles that constantly change and swing around to avoid collision and blind spots, etc., can break that immersion especially if not done right. At least with first person view, you have complete control.

18. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

like i said... lets have a first person mode as an option. You go ahead and use it but I don't want to be forced to use a first person mode.

Koldar likes this.
  19. smack

smack Avatar

Unfortunately, currently everyone is forced to use third person mode, so you 're in luck. They still haven't confirmed first person mode for the rest of us :mad:

20. Dermott

Dermott Avatar

I don;t mind 1st person view as an option, but I would hate it if it were the standard view. I'm not a fan of tunnel vision in that regard and one of the things that turned me off of the Elder Scrolls series was how limited the camera was in Morrowind and trying to figure out why something was killing you only to find out (too late) that a worm was chewing your toenail to death.

If we're going to be using a 3d environment, I'd rather have a bit of distance between the camera and my character so I can see what's going on reasonably well without having to spend extra time swinging the camera around to find what's trying to kill me.

Secondly for the love of EVERYTHING, do NOT use the camera movement system that was in Ultima 9. The standardized WASD/Mouse combo will work fine.

Isaiah and Crusader of Sacrifice like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.