Does anyone else HATE the proposed card system??

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Owain, Mar 14, 2013.

?

Like or Hate combat-card system

1. Like

21.5%
  2. Hate

29.3%
  3. Not sure

49.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ara

Ara Avatar

Totally agree.

If random spells comes up on my screen by some obscure game mechanism and i dont 100% control my spellcasting myself i wont play the PvP game, thats for sure. And the more twitch and skillbased developers manage to make the PvP system the better.

PvP should be something hard to master and there is nothing to master if you're not in control of your spells.

Spells should be put on hotkeys and i should decide myself what spell i like on that hotkey.

BillRoy and vjek like this.
  2. Arkhan

Arkhan Avatar

It sounds interesting. I play a bunch of card games, so I think it would be neat.

3. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I don't see why it would be a bad thing. I would like to know more about it, but it is a cool new idea. It's true that in the heat of compbat or competition that we don't think of everything we know at the exact same time. There is a flow and it sort of plays out. We have options.

I think this system will do just that. Allow us to attack normally, but also give us options to create special opportunities. It will be somewhat random but we will see several cards/skills appear at the same time so we still have choices to make on the fly.

Also it creates strategies. Then there is the whole thing about having multiple builds for your character, for healing or for PvP... Just having a set of cards preselected for each type of situation would handle that. So you can have a set of cards for PvE and a different set for PvP, or for being the party healer. So you can create different roles for your character ALL without changing your base skills. So this system does have potential, and does things that many other combat systems lack.

mike.bronner likes this.
  4. mike11

mike11 Avatar

I don't have a problem with it... yet.

I like it in terms of graphics/reference/presentation but I can't say that it's 'rule set' or mechanics will be good enough to represent a solid basis for all combat styles.

Some actual card games, I love.. Poker, magic tricks, perhaps Magic the Gathering...

I have no real understanding of those games though, but I know that each one can be a completely different ballgame.

5. Sir Tim

Sir Tim Avatar

I dont like the idea that I have to practice a action just before an encounter to have a better chance to use it. I havent ridden a bike in years, but if I was running away for my life and I saw a bike to help my escape... I would probably hop on and ride.

I would imagine it would be like that in combat... you see an opertunity for an action move, and you just do it.

But as others have pointed out... Im not willing to say I "hate" it before I have even tried it. That doesnt mean I understand it... but I will try it.

One thing I hope is that you are able to stick cards on certain "hot" keys. So if it pops up on the screen... you know what hot key you have it applied to.

6. vjek

vjek Avatar

Unfortunately, the little information we have specifically mentions the location/key will not be predictable. Hence the issue some people have with the system as described. "Random UI"

7. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Who says you have to practice anything right before combat? Why can't you modify your decks in town every time you gain a new skill? Just keep the deck the way you like it, and only change it when you need to. Maybe you could go months without changing your deck.

8. RelExpo

RelExpo Avatar

I will not make any assumptions until I see it in practice so I selected "Not Sure". I know RG said he doesn't like the "card game" description.

I've played Magic and other card games, but I'm still not visualizing it yet, especially if we're to have VR support. I'd imagine it could be mapped to the keyboard and you wouldn't have to always click things... maybe for special attacks?

No clue. I'm patiently waiting for more information. We just got Magic in SotA information so we're getting there soon enough.

Eligor likes this.
  9. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

I'll give the portalarium team a chance to impress me before I declare any new system bunk. That said, I think that how much I enjoy this new card system will depend on how many times I have to look down at my keyboard to find a key instead of just using the keys my fingers are on. *I* hope to see an elementary macro system built in from square one to let us customize our own UI.

10. Sir Tim

Sir Tim Avatar

Well that doesnt seem 'fun' :p But I look forward to trying it out and seeing how it works.

I swore I heard RG mention you need to practice the moves you want to use in battle for them to come up more often. Which would mean if I defend myself in PvP I have one set of moves, then take on a quest I may have nother set of moves, and if another player attacks me after PvE'ing, Im in trouble cause all the moves are PvE related.

For example, I may be fighting fire elementals, but the set of skills I use on them might not be what I would use on players. That's where my concern comes in.

But as i mentioned before... I will be suspecious of this system, however try it all the same. Maybe it will work out.

11. Alrick

Alrick Avatar

Some really great perspectives. Thanks everyone! :)

12. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

I guess I didn't see it the same way as eeryone else did. The way I interpreted it, was that you had a hotbar (you can see it in the RTX demo) and set which skills you wanted on that bar. For each skill, there were various things that would become available during combat; say you had a standard attack with a longsword in your first bar, then you might get a power attack opening, or a riposte, to pop up while fighting. You would control which of these "special moves" would pop up by controlling your "deck", so if you didn't want a riposte, you would remove it from the list of thengs which could occur. Even if you didn't get the special to come up, you would still have the basic function of the skill to use regularly.

Maybe that's just my vision, but it seems like this "hybrid" hotkey and card deck would make for a dynamic and fun combat system. You need to watch what is happening and time things correctly to maximize effects, but you could play just using the basic skills and still get by.

Naetuis likes this.
  13. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

There was talk of having multiple decks.

I imagine that you would usually know when you're in an area that will have combat and be able to select a deck that suits that area. If you're not surprised by the encounter, you may even have the option to change the deck before the creature gets too close. If you are surprised and stuck in the encounter, well, perhaps you can switch decks in combat for some kind of time delay.

14. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

I can't say that I'm excited about the system, but it is a bit early for me to formulate a strong opinion. I haven't really seen it in play. I'm reserving judgement until I see a video of it in action.

15. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

I would encourage folks to listen to Chris describe the system in greater detail here...
    Start at about 11:00 and listen for 10 minutes or so.

Especially the part that Chris describes the card (rune) system as mostly for the high level battles, and not used for every combat.

Sir Stile Teckel likes this.
  16. ZooK

ZooK Avatar

I don't think we know enough about it yet, but I can say I perfer a chance system over a system where we would get trapped in rotations or spamming our most powerful abilities over and over.

17. Ara

Ara Avatar

I prefer learning to play my character as well as possible with known spells i have choosen myself instead of having to use random spells the game have choosen for me.

That remove playerskills from the game, it remove twitchskills from the game, it remove combatflow from the game and it give me instead some random cards the game have decided on my screen.

That is a not a good system. And since when have chance become a better decider of a 1 vs 1 or teamfight then practice and evolving?

Spells should be put on the keybutton i choose and stay there to be used when i feel using it.

18. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

It's not choosing random spells from the entire pool, it's choosing a random card from the deck you create. You could create a deck with lots of cards, but then you may not see what you want when you need it, or you can create a smaller deck and run into your favorite cards more often.

And then you are stuck back in the WoW method, watching a GUI cooldown timer instead of the game. The idea with the card system is to try something new that requires more skill than merely setting your ability bar and pressing 1,2,3,4 over and over again.

19. Ara

Ara Avatar

Even with a smaller deck you will get random spells choosen by the game and not yourself.

And i'm not comparing with WoW. Im comparing with Ultima Online the most demanding and fun spell system ever created. People that claim it was unbalanced and skilless have no clue what they're talking about. It could take a year to become as good as the beast and some never reached that level of skill. And a well played melee character was not a sitting duck in UO if you knew how to play the game, on the contrary the best 1 vs 1 characters in UO were melee characters with some magic.

The PvP system in UO was the most balanced i seen so far.

I played just about all skill demanding games from shooters to MMO games with aim and still none of them is even close to the skills you needed in UO. And far from as fun.

Claiming random cards would outmatch the UO magic system before Age of Shadows in skills is just not right. Random cards make a 1 vs 1 battle a dicegame since you need luck to get the right card and you cant develop your spell using and twitch skill. It was not just 1, 2, 3, 4, more like 20 hotkeys for combat spells and you needed so much timing on your spells and heals that this card system seems to me like a walk in the park and a game based on luck.

20. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

All I can say is wait to try it before you decide you dislike it.

BillRoy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.