Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Does having more than 100% resist matter?

Discussion in 'Release 52 Feedback Forum' started by Scoffer, Apr 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scoffer

Scoffer Avatar

@Chris
    Not quite sure when this happened and it possibly a bug since I don't see anything in the release notes for this change.

I'm currently at Max 120% resist in plate, does being over 100% make a difference?

So for example
    if I have 30 resist (max 100%) I would stop 30 points of damage with each hit.
    if I have 30 resist (max 120%) would I stop 30 points of damage with each hit or would it be 36?

Mac2 likes this.
  2. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

It seems to me something has changed with "max resist" - I was hovering at low-80s for the longest time in terms of max % and now mine's considerably higher as well.
    Not complaining at all! But don't want to get used to it, if it is a bug....

Mac2 likes this.
  3. GreyMouser Skye

GreyMouser Skye Avatar

One part of the math I remember (please tell me if it has changed) is that you always take the smaller of the 2 values.
    It is a % of the total hit, so that is important.

You have 30 resist (max 100%)
    Enemy hits you for 20. You resist 20 (not 30).
    Enemy hits you for 40. You resist 30 (not 40).

You have 30 resist (max 120%)
    Enemy hits you for 20. You resist 24 (not 30).
    Enemy hits you for 40. You resist 30 (not 48).

4. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

There is a base amount you get (even when naked) that wasn't being applied. This was fixed sometime back.

5. Scoffer

Scoffer Avatar

This is the bit that makes no sense:

Enemy hits you for 20. You resist 24 (not 30). <-- You would resist 20 since that was the total hit.
    Enemy hits you for 40. You resist 30 (not 48). <-- so this would be 100% resist and the other 20% is wasted? This is what I'm trying to find out, if it would be wasted then I can completely remove the deflection skill which I have at GM because its doing absolutely nothing for me other than costing me 1.2m xp, increasing my decay etc. Its pointless.

Now if its actually going to resist 120% of the 30 resist it would be worth pushing higher so I would take less damage.

Could do with a Dev chiming in on how it actually works as there is no way to test this.

Mac2 likes this.
  6. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

We just "watched" our max number a bit...
    so, naked, I'm at 42.5% max. I assume this is the 30% "base value" mentioned above plus 12.5% from GM sympathy of stone

So if we take 30% "base" plus 55% (heavy armor max resist values) and nothing else, then getting deflection skill to high 90s would reach 100%, assuming that you don't have anything invested in sympathy of stone.

In this context, because scoffer has both deflection at GM for 16.5% and sympathy of stone for 12.5% and full plate for 55% and the 30% base value....he's over 100.
    We're just trying to find evidence that supports having over 100% is actually doing something.

By contrast, I'm not wearing 'full' heavy armor, so deflection is actually helping me to reach the 100% max resist mark, so its far from a useless skill in all scenarios, it just seems that unless we can confirm that having more than 100% has some benefit, that it is less useful for 'full heavy armor' wearers.

This is something that's pretty difficult to test because of the wide damage range variance on skills and even autoattacks to try and quantify if his 120% resist is doing anything for him thus the question to Chris about how it works.

UPDATE:

From our quick 'dress up session' at the crafting museum where we tried to as closely as possible match scoffer's resist value by mixing/matching gear while lowering his max to 100 and having me beat on him 100 times, it doesn't seem that exceeding 100% max resist is having any noticeable effect.

No, this was not just an excuse for me to beat on scoffer with a stick.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
    Mac2, Nikko, Rentier and 2 others like this.
  7. GreyMouser Skye

GreyMouser Skye Avatar

The 120% does matter, but not if it is out of line with the actual resist. As my example shows, you are resisting higher than the hit when it is a smaller hit and then equal to the resist when it is a harder hit. Because you take the smaller of the 2 values for your actual resistance there is a point where max% is overkill when compared to your actual resist number.

Same scenario with resist 60:

You have 60 resist (max 100%)
    Enemy hits you for 20. You resist 20 (not 60).
    Enemy hits you for 40. You resist 40 (not 60).
    Enemy hits you for 50. You resist 50 (not 60).
    Enemy hits you for 80. You resist 60 (not 80).

You have 60 resist (max 120%)
    Enemy hits you for 20. You resist 24 (not 60).
    Enemy hits you for 40. You resist 48 (not 60).

I see your point: There is no point in having max% over 100% because you are either resisting everything or your resistance number, whichever is smaller.

I prefer Dodge... that is even weirder math.

Resist/Max% math works better with lower max% numbers like 50% and such. Long story short, get your XP back.

8. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

How can you possibly resist more damage than a mob hits you for?

9. Koss

Koss Avatar

This will be a good thread...

10. GreyMouser Skye

GreyMouser Skye Avatar

Because it does not matter. I resist 10 times how hard my two year pushes me but I also resist exactly what he does.
    It is a min(x,y) part of the math that is not shown.

11. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

Whaaaaaaat? So they have made the Deflection skill useless (or nearly so) for most plate mail users? Why would this be? Are we certain? I really want to hear this from a developer @Chris

This makes no sense, as this skill is IN the heavy armor tree. I have 112.1% max resistance even while wearing the very basic Founder's Plate set. I can't believe this is true, and this skill is only useful for people wearing chain armor. Seems really odd.

12. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Right. So, getting back to the OP's question, having more than 100% maximum does nothing for you.

13. Scoffer

Scoffer Avatar

I get 110% Max resist in chain so....

Mac2 likes this.
  14. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

@Chris said on the livestream that it's supposed to be capped at 75%, so expect an adjustment soon.

15. Scoffer

Scoffer Avatar

Deflection needs to go in the 100% unlearn list then since it offers no benefit to full heavy armour wearers.
    A full suit of plate with the base of 30% max gives you 85%
    A full suit of chain with the base of 30% max gives you 75%

The skill does nothing once this goes in.

Mac2 likes this.
  16. Yipp

Yipp Avatar

If the cap becomes 75% and you can reach that cap in chain or leather, what will be the point of plat and its restrictions? Seems a significant across the board change in defensive abilities, resistances, avoidance etc... are required. Not just a change to this one thing.... Right?

17. Scoffer

Scoffer Avatar

You can get your resist and avoidance higher in plate than you can in leather so there would still be a difference even if both were capped at 75%. The benefit of plate over chain however is that plate had a higher Max resist and chain had a lower fizzle cost. putting that cap in however means plate would become worthless.

Yipp likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.