Does SOTA have these UO game features? (New Player question)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Neonis, Jun 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neonis

Neonis Avatar

1) Daily/Weekly/Monthly rares (items) spawn
    2) Dungeons
    3) A Virtue system
    4) Rare and exotic seeds (For planting and growing)
    5) Player own boats for sailing
    6) Fishing up rares and sea monsters
    7) Thieves guild feature
    8) This one is my wishful thinking for future updates - VET REWARDS. This function promotes player staying in the game and playing.

Thanks, I am loving the game so far and it feels just like UO.

2. Dermott

Dermott Avatar

1. Not in the same way the UO does, however you CAN find/steal deco items in various scenes as well as get them in loot. UO's daily/monthly rares came about due to various bugs and oversights that were left in after being mostly fixed.
    2. Yes.
    3. Yes.
    4. There is a plant system, but it is not like UO's. It's mainly food/reagent based with the only real Rare Plants that I know of currently being the Royal Elderberry Bush and the Immortality Plant (Kickstarter rewards)
    5. Not yet. You can have a boat as a house on the water in a town, but no sailing as of yet.
    6. Not as of yet. Fishing is still fairly basic right now.
    7. Not yet
    8. Well, if you count Kickstarter Rewards as sort of Vet Rewards in reverse. Anyone with KS Rewards has been around for 5 years now in some fashion.

3. Neonis

Neonis Avatar

Thank you for the info!

4. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Not every thing has been added into the game yet. There are plans for a lot more to come in.

Neonis and amarious like this.
  5. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

None of those features were part of UO 2 months after launch either.

Elwyn, Brugas, Jaesun and 1 other person like this.
  6. Kain Darkmoor

Kain Darkmoor Avatar

Well dungeons most certainly were, and possibly boats. Aside from that, yes it's a great point. It's easy to compare UO as it was a couple years or more in to sota the way it is now and that's not going to be a fair comparison. I think sometimes people forget just how barebones UO was at launch.

Elwyn likes this.
  7. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

No, boats came later.
    'Zackly.

8. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Feels like UO on the surface, but in depth it's totally nothing like UO.

SmokerKGB and licemeat like this.
  9. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Core Mechanics like endless progression versus hard cap 700 skillpoints is completely not UO.
    And many more also is completely different afaik.
    PvP, Virtue System, Criminals, Pickpocketing, Harvesting/ Crafting...
    That's not about Status of the game, but core Design decisions what are completely anti UO.

10. Magnus Zarwaddim

Magnus Zarwaddim Avatar

Is that entirely true? My recollection of the first two months was this: Go out and kill things to level up skills and get gold, get ganked. Go to guild castle and whack on dummies to skill up. Step outside, get ganked. Try to gather resources, get ganked. Team up with guild mates to tackle some mobs, get ganked. Try a dungeon, get ganked.

Seriously, at what point in the first two months did UO have depth? I guess the ganking provided depth to the gankers because it was one of the first times ganking at this grand scale was possible?

This is one of the reasons I want to get Koster's new book, to see maybe if he has some recorded recollections of those first few months. :) Because my memory may be faulty.

Witcheypoo, Neonis, Elwyn and 3 others like this.
  11. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Then we're both faulty... Which, at least in my case, I admit is a possibility.
    Correct... and many of those decisions were Purposeful to correct the issues that almost killed UO. Also, this was never intended to be UO2, but the Spiritual Successor to the Entire Ultima series...

Spiritual Success != Carbon Copy

12. Magnus Zarwaddim

Magnus Zarwaddim Avatar

Yeah, I agree that's what a lot of people get wrong.

13. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

UO was killed ?

In my reality there are more people playing UO actually than all of the players ever played SotA.

Sure it doesnt wanted to be uo2 or another Ultima, but it failed to be the new Iteration of beeing something like UO and Ultima .
    On the surface yes , in depth not.

I also like some things about SotA , i was never on the side of the critics without any Message just trolling or ranting .

I allways said :Guys this is the wrong direction and you need to have another Vision.

What would be something new is a MMORPG without f...ing levels and vertical progression.

Many people rant about this in SoT , but see it's success.
    Maybe not comparable at all , but they did something good for players that like to have fun.
    And these players still play.
    I dont play ist every day , i dont rush it, because why should i rush, nothing significant there to rush beside cosmetics.
    Allways able to play together, allways a thrill, allways fun, allways some incentives, allways immersive as hell.

SotA can do that too.
    But tons of gamemechanics and Design decisions want to prevent this what is the best about SoT.

I talked to random people and heard seltenes like :

Isnt it fresh and revolutionary to have no levels, no better gear , just cosmetics .
    It's fun to die in SoT sometimes .
    It doesnt matter that much , but you sure can create your risks and create tension as you like.
    Go for 20 chest and hope nobody will try to sind you. Make friends, make foes, play tricks on others....
    Make music together, you know a lot of this is also possible in SotA .
    But the Gap between players alone makes it impossible.
    And for what, for the feeling of some people who need effort to put in and segregate from those who didnt put effort in. To say look what i have accomplished and you not.
    What a horrible experience i had running as a lowbie with highlevels when i still thought a Healer is a thing here.
    I stoped healing and recognized i was completely worthless in the group i was just there to get Pool xp.
    Lame as hell, i couldnt get the feeling of contributing anything .
    Later i support other lows when i was leviel 80.
    I felt exactly the same. It was just to get xp.
    No challenge, no fun, no the feeling of beeing a Party and doingsomething together and everybody is important to contribute to reach it.

I like the combat btw., but am i here to run in circles and kill the same mobs over and over.
    I do that in Inquisitor :Martyr . These Hack and Slash are made for this.
    But an online RPG? Need a lot more if you ask me.

I really wish, they would make groundbreaking changes and maybe then some chance exist that SotA becomes a Game for more than just 300-400 players.
    It needs at least 5000 or more.
    What LB hoped for was 10times that.

It's not a mistake to make one,
    but not to learn from mistakes is a big one.

14. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Almost... Why do you think they split Felucca and Trammel? Not something that would have been done if the game were healthy and not bleeding players as if its femoral artery had been punctured. Perhaps you should search the internet for articles from Lord British, Lum the Mad, and Gordon Walton on the early days of UO, the mistakes that were made, and gain some insight into why many things in Shroud of the Avatar are the way they are.

15. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Ah ok this you mean.
    Yes id agree.

See SoT again, sorry i dont want to hype SoT, to me it's just the perfect Mixture if everything.

Id like a MMORPG with this "system" and id believe it would run very well and would have a lot of players, playing in the sandbox interacting.

It's just what i wanted for an MMORPG for more than over a decade .

Sure lots of controvers discussions and many dont like it because there is no vertical progression, but man what great experience interaction, competetive and cooperative and also lazy solo idle playing and small group just doing pve and easily avoiding pvp most of the time.

It's just a great environment everybody can partake in from day one and has absolutely no consequences if you join later. It's allways and forever a great and equal experience for everyone. Thst is best MP i ever imagined and it is possible to create with SotA too.

16. Koss

Koss Avatar

Uoguide.com

Ship Types
    There are eleven types of boats.

Classic Ships
    Classic ships have been around since initial release. They have the same speed and storage capacity in their holds.

17. DeadnGone

DeadnGone Avatar

Haha, this made me remember something very notable about that time period. In the first two months, most people were still skilling up and getting their attributes up. Gold acquisition was still low, no major dungeon romps from underskilled players and such. There should have been very, very few "castles" if any because they were so expensive to what you could farm back then in those first two months of release. The economy hadn't gotten to where it needed to be thriving yet... until...
    The gold dupe bugs started appearing. One of the first at that time was the one where you put a pile of gold into a chessboard or checkerboard, closed it, reopened and bam, 2 piles, repeat. I never knew about this prior but it was explained after they caught it. However, they should've rolled the servers back and took away everyone's accumulated wealth in those 24-48hrs... Why?

Because not only did it flood the economy, but... Just outside Britain, near the Crossroads, the majority of housing was pretty much "tents". It was a small tent-city with a few houses. The rest of the area by the Crossroads was generally called "hunting grounds" at the time because it was wide FLAT, OPEN, plains full of mobs to hunt down, skill up on, and get loot. Then overnight, literally, Castles, Forts/towers, the larger player homes, etc were dotted all across the landscape, taking up most of the space there... in ONE NIGHT. They never took any of it away. Was still crowded with the same buildings for years before decay system was put in.

So when you said, "go to guild castle" in first 2 months, I just had to laugh because it brought all those moments back :p
    As far as the ganking/pks go, I would mine up and down the ranges between Trinsic, Minoc, Brit (on Chessie) and stay in that triangle working on STR, mining, blacksmithing, hitting up that early dungeon with all the earth eles, and making better gear while fighting off pks and helping others who would get their pack animals attacked. But back then, most pk's only knew fireball/lightning and didn't know what to do when players fought back :)

First two months :) A lot changed in UO. Still has over the years. So much content was put into it, but it had a huge backer and then years and years to implement more content. SotA has come a long way in 5 years, but not really the same as UO. Far more people and money from EA than here, so you have to take things with a grain of salt. So much they can still do in SotA but takes time, money, and people... and unless everyone is going to work pro bono... gonna take even more time. I would like to think SotA will still be around for years to come. So many other games are still chugging that I was surprised to see still going, Horizons for example, Champions was another... really surprised EVE is not only alive and kicking but a giant of a game as well.

Vaentorian likes this.
  18. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

Yes and no. It has a virtue system, but not one connected with PvP behavior. There is no way to mark repeat gankers, so there are no posses. I don't care much about PvP, but I might if they made that work.

Fishing is still just a placeholder system. I suppose that's better than doing something too soon and having it come out bad.

You can't compare the features of a fresh release game with UO years after release.

And they have just announced that they are working on new PvP-related content. Not open-world PvP, but free-for-all and castle defense. Not replacing open-world PvP, but in addition to it.

Olthadir likes this.
  19. Thwip

Thwip Avatar

Lol, unbelievably, the "Virtue System" has nothing to do with PvP. It really is absolutely unbelievable.

Stundorn likes this.
  20. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

And it shouldn't be.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.