Done with SOTA for now

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Korim Rackham, Aug 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vagabond Sam

Vagabond Sam Avatar

Let's not make this a discussion of absolutes. The discussion isn't about taxes or not. It's about what we consider reasonable not the lowest available number.

So, you argue for complexity in a game, if i infer that from your listed fear of 'dumbing down' being the result of taxes not being sufficient.

What is complex about taxes starting at 3500 gp that is loist if taxes start at 1750 gp?

As far as I can tell it halves how many mindless dumb downed laps I have to do of a gold efficient grind route. Lowering the rent means players have more time to participate in complex activities, as is the core opf the games appeal.

Ahuaeynjgkxs, Kaisa, Baalice and 2 others like this.
  2. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

Well just the same, I could care less about the quests. It's an MMO, so I'm not here expecting high end cutscenes and NPCs with gene hackman doing the voices. Not even sure any MMO offers that.

I'm here for the PvP. The idea of having no skillcap means that I'll be able to switch up from short range to long range combat in the same battles without having to multiclient, something that UO doesn't offer. So it should be interesting.

If you ask me, down the road, there will likely be quest mobs spawned through questing only that will require the same tactics to defeat, so being superman will be fun as well as necessary. Just gotta use your imagination and then post about the things you imagine, that's exactly what the devs want us to do so they can make a l33t game for us.

It's your call if you want to stay here on the forums following people around and trolling them with negativity, I guess it's kind of fun for some people after all, but I think you'll regret not keeping your nose to the grind and getting those rares before the prices go up and the grind gets harder, because you'll just end up being even more bitter than you already are. If that's even still possible.

3. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

No thank you, but I will use my scepter on your lot for you every month, lol. :)

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
  4. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

Totally agree with you... but I doubt you will see drastic changes like that coming. On the other hand there is nothing other to do than grinding, crafting or PVP gameplay wise.
    Guild have no meaning, Housing and Towns are just cosmetics, yet...
    From my POV the economy is totally out of hand already as it is possible to be completely self sufficient with from my POV low time investment. But we will see how it works out.

Ahuaeynjgkxs and Kaisa like this.
  5. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

As always you are too kind, but I will most likely be selling that extra lot at this rate lol :)

Ice Queen and Baalice like this.
  6. Fizzlebang

Fizzlebang Avatar

Hmm...I doubt you were really out LOOKING for it then. In the past week, I have run into PvP at LEAST a couple of times a day. Honestly, still less than I would prefer; but, a significant improvement over prior releases. If you want world PvP it's out there. You just have to look for it with a bit more persistence.

Cordelayne likes this.
  7. Ariella Shadowdancer

Ariella Shadowdancer Avatar

I so glad you still here and my prays are with you always! How about I cook you up some food for the soul, "kiddy gumbo" just for you.

8. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

No one is "supposed to be testing" except for the paid testers/employees. This is a persistent pay to play game now, the only way to get in is to pay for it, I don't feel inclined to test it, a good portion of my bug reports have gone unnoticed so the want to do it is nonexistent. Lucky they have a bizzaro land where instead of paid testers, they have testers paying to test like you, which is great, but based on my past bug reporting being ignored I can see they have more than enough testers, so no, no one is "supposed to be testing", except those who work for the company.

I'm kind of afk in the game too. Until it's deemed "done", if it's never deemed "done" then, perhaps I will be afk forever. I hear Chapter II is in the works. What happened to the quests in Chapter I? I understand they will be layed out when it is deemed "done", but if they are thrown together quickly and there was no master plan to roll out quests as awesome as the previous Ultimas the online players will be greatly saddened and, I can't imagine what the single players will think. Single player Ultima style quests is what I'm waiting for, perhaps I'll wait for infinity.

9. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

As I own a tax free deed, I'm not very concerned about this kind of topic.

But...

I played a lot since the final wipe and my experience showed me that the current tax rate is unreasonable. Even with my level, with several hours daily of grind, I could not afford much more than 1500 golds daily as I have other things to pay in game (repairs, arrows, reagents, expenses for fun). I have no doubt Portalarium is aware of this. So, I think it's a matter of time before they change the way it is. The goal has always been to make taxes an acceptable weight, not that they become a primary concern.

That said, I see many people complaining about slow leveling, craft difficulty and so on... Keep in mind there is no level cap. Keep in mind the economy health is based on scarcity (if everyone can have everything, there is no need to trade). One of the great strength of this game is not to impose us hard limit. But to avoid hard core gamers being a too big challenge for casual players, it's necessary to provide a gradual progress, which goes slower as it goes higher.

Because, in reality, there is no magic solution to the difference of playing time between players.

But it's my point of view.

10. lollie

lollie Avatar

Stop whining about taxes.

Taxes aren't the problem, and if they are for you then maybe you shouldn't have bought a non tax-free lot.

Net, Tahru, x_Selene_x and 1 other person like this.
  11. Vagabond Sam

Vagabond Sam Avatar

Can you please expand on how this relates to the taxes represented at the time of my purchase and how they are now being raised to consume more playtime to sustain?

Also, should the request to lower taxes be ceeded, how would it reduce your enjoyment of the game specifically?

12. Julian Baskerville

Julian Baskerville Avatar

Agreed with OP...

played a while ago and got me hooked for two weeks...restarted after final wipe and I cant log into SotA anymore...no sense...no purpose...grind...grind...grind...for nothing.

I'll be coming back with my GF when I get her PC working again, maybe she can convince me to give it another go.
    But...chapter 2 gives money...the cash for chapter 1 is in and who cares if its done or not, we are not allowed to critsize a game in production or compare it to other games.

Thank you for the bug reports you made from my side at least.

13. bloodluv

bloodluv Avatar

If your only means to make gold is to go out and kill mobs, then that's not the game's fault. You are limiting yourself! You can make a TON of gold without ever having to kill anything!

14. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

video reply!!!!

boiiiii

15. Fungus

Fungus Avatar

To OP: I totally understand where your coming from but for me I enjoy the fact it's much harder than most MMO sandbox type games out there however I do add the caveat that I have a tax free lot. As a test last night I went out and monitored my regs to money made in an hour and after costs I made a whole 100g. This is further hampered by the fact corpse explosion is broken that's very reg friendly however I still think at best I'd have made 200g tops making it even more difficult for anyone who with a similar build (AoE mage) to be sustainable long term with house taxes, gear upgrades, crafting materials etc...

Can I make money in other ways? Sure I sell ore I mine on the vendors, but I like to kill stuff and resources aren't guaranteed to always sell as many players are now hoarding their own cash reserves knowing the coin is harder to make and gathering themselves.

At present I fully accept it's in development still and won't make any rash decisions one way or the other but give it at least a few months passed general release. I hate the targeting system and seeing an 'X' permanently on my screen is totally frustrating, I actually like the combat deck system and the skills system / exp pool really works for me and I'm in no rush to GM any particular skill.

My only advice is walk away before you rage quit for good, play something different and come back in a few months and see if it's the game concept you fell in love with so long ago whilst remembering there will always be a compromise to be made in any dream.

Ahuaeynjgkxs and Cordelayne like this.
  16. Audacity

Audacity Avatar

Please add me to your list of friends. I'm ALWAYS up for a party!

majoria70 and Cordelayne like this.
  17. DepGames

DepGames Avatar

Don't you mean " the light of wallet"?

Ice Queen and Whyterose Flowers like this.
  18. WrathPhoenix

WrathPhoenix Avatar

The 3500 is a WEEK for a row house. Only a day for city lots which are the largest lot type in game outside of the largest pledge houses which are exclusive.

19. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

Actually I did not, in-game gold is not wallet it's time in-game ^^

Baalice likes this.
  20. DepGames

DepGames Avatar

In-game time only if you're "light of wallet". Otherwise no grinding for rent needed.

It separates the community into two groups. Those who spend a significant amount of time grinding so they can take advantage of all features in the game and those who bought their way into those features, maintainence free.

Is it any wonder the divide on most issues is so great? Two different worlds.

If Port doesn't fix this problem THEY created, those who spent the most money may find themselves sitting in their rent-free hones and POTs thinking, "Where are all the players?"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.