Don't forget the telethon & feedback after the Telethon

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by majoria70, Sep 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Thanks community for hanging out with us today!!

2. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I'm Totally disappointed by answers during the telethon to my questions, but I'm not giving up.

I don't agree we should release without basics and I do not even want to hear about steam achievements as a replacement for an in game achievement system. Many of us don't play on steam and nothing against steam of course, just sayin. This should have been there to start off with and acting like fishing updates are a surprise with no planning for it happening at all is really frustrating to me. There has been a huge community interest in this system. Let's come together on this.

I will request we don't release without basics that connect the world like an in-game achievement system would or a sufficient system that will do that in the meantime. Ok that's my rant, now we go forward.

3. amarious

amarious Avatar

My Hypersomnia got the best of me. I woke up to them saying something about having an hour left. Curses! Luckily they post it on YouTube later, can listen while stuck in terrible traffic!

Numa likes this.
  4. Cream2

Cream2 Avatar

i can say i've improved my closet every month, i add new clothes and remove 1 sock. that other sock.... we will polish it

5. Winfield

Winfield Legend of the Hearth

I missed the Telethon! Darn! Well, I knew I would. I had to work today ... that gets in the way of more important things like the Telethons and gaming!

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?page_id=29385 -- $52,000 funds raised! Excellent!
    • Hmm, didn't get to the $80K: Virtue Flaming Tuba -- darn. I bet it would shoot flaming fish out of it too! Maybe next telethon!

I am watching the telethon video now... and making my last moment purchases to contribute to the Telethon funds and get the rewards! So if you have not purchased something for $5 per account (new money) in the add-on store, you still have time! About 1:00 hour left (until 11:59 CT US, September 6). https://www.worldtimebuddy.com/ - search for Chicago time zone.
    [​IMG]
    My nice little purchase in the SotA Add On store -- Clock Complete Set (digital) -- now we have Time! More Time! Less Time! Just in Time!

I hope the player gatherings went well too! Players run these around the Telethons so we can get together before and sometimes after the telethons in person. We even try to WIFI over zoom as best we can in Austin.

I just heard on the telethon video that Relics by Rild is running a promotion/discount!
    • http://www.relicsbyrild.com/
    • Enter "MUNICHROCKS" at checkout until midnight September 11, 2017 -- 20% off order
    • I just bought a bunch of stuff, so the checkout discount works!
    [​IMG]
    Mug at https://relicsbyrild.com/ -- huge and epic! - It's mine and I am bringing it to SotACon 2017 Austin!

FISH!

Be well my friends in Texas, Louisiana, and now Florida. Please be safe! We need you!

-- Winfield

6. Luca Xante

Luca Xante Avatar

I totally agree. Persistence way too early was huge mistake. Commercial release too early is very bad idea as well.

Performance, performance, performance, basics, achievement system, group content, fun stuff that keeps people logging in daily... list goes on and on...

Reviews are bad enough already, after commercial release you cannot hide behind early access...

I say no to commercial release before we are really ready for it.

Preachyr, Beaumaris, K1000 and 10 others like this.
  7. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

It's a double edged sword. Will SotA become a game that is released too early or will it be known as the game that hides in Early Access "forever"?

8. Gorthyn

Gorthyn Avatar

I think in terms of commercial release I think they are fast approaching a "damned if they do, damned if they don't" scenario.

At present performance and real content (not just housing add ons) are way short of where they need to be.

I don't understand why these elements are not holding the devs undivided attention rather than pumping out endless "fluff" like those telethon "rewards" Talk about putting the cart before the horse. What are they thinking of ?

9. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Cassandra Corax likes this.
  10. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

And so you heard they are releasing the game with out fishing updates or very little of them. Fishing and boating are two really popular systems. I was so worried not hearing anyone was working on fishing but I told myself not to worry and they would do it this time and so I guess the telethon response from Darkstarr was extra upsetting to me then. I have been with this game almost too long fighting battles for what I see missing. It is very tiring on days like this. *Sighs*. Well tomorrow is another day but right now I'm really really sad.

11. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Ah.
    Well boating....if it is what i think it is ^^.... won't make it in before EP 2 and that is known a very long time already. No news here.
    Fishing...yeah...eh...i mean no offence but....i am aware it is important for you and a couple of other people....but eh....i am very sure it isn't a vital system ;-) sorry.

12. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I know about boating being maybe ep2 and yes fishing was really important to me and others I know and promises to update it failed to make it every time it was scheduled. And the basic system I'm talking about is the framework of the game, the in game achievement system that is not going in game before release. If they can't do it because it is too much work, they should have at least did the task bulletin boards placed in Npc cities to connect our broken up world. New people wander around wondering what to do. There is no built in achievenents saying go do this or do that or discover this or that.

The scope of this game drastically changed throughout the years. We now have some players joining us who don't know what to do or may not have a desire to make up their own content. I don't think of any of this just for me but to better the game. It is content to help the longevity of this game. I could be wrong and it will be ok and perhaps I am tired of the battle after almost 5 years. Oh well as I said tomorrow is another day. Take care.

13. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

I played Shroud of the Avatar for something like 2 500 hours. I went through some bugs and issues but the game was playable and enjoyable for me.

That said, releasing the game too early is a bad idea. You are right when you say that fishing is not necessary for the release. We can wait for a further patch. That's not serious.

But there are others priorities and the achievement system (an incentive) is one of them. People actualy only have the GM thing while it is a perfect non sense to see the level 100 as the ultimate goal.

Other BIG priority is performance. The 45th and the 43th release brought some improvements but we are far from the goal : 30 fps everywhere without hitching on an average computer. Everytime I go home in Novia, I litteraly see decorations loading in front of me. That's acceptable for an early access game. That's totally wrong for a released game.

Same thing for the unfinished skills like Control Deamon. Same things for the bugged quest log. Same thing with the dialogue bugs, etc...

We are 4 months from the end of the year. I'm not a developper and I didn't listen all the telethon, but it IS a concern for all of us. As long as the game is released with those problems, it will take the risk of very nasty reviews.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
    Beaumaris, Mykll, K1000 and 9 others like this.
  14. Cream2

Cream2 Avatar

I'm always confused about this, steam is free and has a much much much faster patching time.

I cant think of a logical reason, besides people being stuck / scared in their old ways

3devious likes this.
  15. Timmy Vortex

Timmy Vortex Avatar

Argh! I forgot store credit didn't apply (while i didn't even know how i got it in the first place) for the rewards. Anyhow was an interesting show :)

16. Rossum

Rossum Avatar

17. Tanglewood

Tanglewood Avatar

Yeah - I had to jump on especially this morning before work and had to get up earlier for it

Cassandra Corax likes this.
  18. Numa

Numa Avatar

Now that we have clocks that will help us keep track of ingame time and will potentially enable people to post timebound tasks for newbies and other interested players - this is possibly the best possible time to have task bulletin boards. It's not really practical to do this manually considering how many POTS & NPC cities there are. The load times of the scenes alone would make the effort prohibitive in the long run even if a player-run messenger service was in place.

19. hammadowna

hammadowna Avatar

Let's not beat up the devs too much; they are and will make all our in game dreams come true. Just have some patience and faith in our hard working Portalarium devs! ;)

20. Duke William of Serenite

Duke William of Serenite Avatar

Other games have launched with out everything in game. For example SWG launched with no mounts. They didnt come till a year later. I am just saying it has been done and we survived. That game blossomed in to the best MMO in history if you ask me.

Elwyn and Sempiternal Dragon like this.
  21. Curt

Curt Avatar

Didn't spent any new money this time due to alcohol related stretch goals.

22. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

I spent twice what I normally spend because alcohol was related! I'm sure that will cover what they lost. PROST!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.