Don't Join a Guild (at least not right away) - Use the Goodwill Center

Discussion in 'Player Created Resources' started by DrWIz, Sep 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DrWIz

DrWIz Avatar

I'm of the belief that guilds have their own internal culture, with each guild slightly different than the next. It is not easy for a new player to find a good match, and its especially risky if the new player joins the first guild recruiter met. Sort of like going on a blind date followed by moving into a shared apartment the next day. Its risky because time has not been allowed for getting to know each other. If the fit is not right, and you have to leave the guild (or perhaps even kicked out), there are almost always bad feelings. So, the solution is to not join a guild right away. Take your time to find a guild that fits.

I write this as a player who has no guild, and does so on purpose so I can help players with this crucial time. We have an entire Goodwill Center (In Grumridge near Aerie) dedicated to supporting new, and mid-game players, until they are ready to move to their home within in a guild that is a good fit for them. We do receive donations from players across the land to help us with this not-for-profit mentoring center. There is a donation box at the bottom of the hill just after you enter Grumridge.

Since this is both a new concept, new idea for a role playing game, and a service for new players it will be posted twice. Everyone across the game is invited to support this compassionate concept.

2. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

We vetted multiple guilds before joining out of experience and it took us about a month. Agreed.
    I do believe that a guild is an essential thing for overall experience of the game. Nothing wrong with going solo either, however. To each their own.

Fionwyn Wyldemane and Leelu like this.
  3. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

I'd advocate the opposite.
    Shop around. Try them out. Very hard to see how a guild works or acts from the outside.

If there are guilds that are recruiting then ask them if you could try them out for a couple of days, see how they work and see how they act in their guild chat etc. Be nice and be polite.
    If a guild refuse that you try them out first then that is one of the warning signs in my book. (Unless it is that type of hardcore ones that you seek.)

I advocate the same for my own, try us out and no hard feelings if there was a mismatch and you leave.
    We've had folks who go in and out a couple of times, some who stay some who don't.
    It is part of the fun according to me.

But then again I've never really understood american dating culture.
    ;):p

With that said though I applaud all the open initiatives that try to help new players. That is a grand tradition that goes back to early Everquest and UO days.

As such I will recommend anyone to visit the Goodwill Center - it is a great place with great players.
    Or if you started in Solace Bridge then try out the Outlander Welcome Center.

And feel free to check out all the Hospitaller efforts.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
    Winfield and Solazur like this.
  4. Damian Killingsworth

Damian Killingsworth Avatar

That is so very true!

Fionwyn Wyldemane likes this.
  5. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Great idea! Not great marketing as it suggests the POT is anti-guild (ironically making it the anarchy guild). A better message would be to say, for those that need time to find the perfect guild, ...

6. Margaritte

Margaritte Avatar

Grumridge is not a POT, it's PRT. We have players from several guilds (or no guild at all) living there, all who enjoy helping new players, providing GM mentoring, giving information, or just hanging out.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
    Solazur and Fionwyn Wyldemane like this.
  7. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

I know that. I am only pointing out that the message is missing its target,

8. Margaritte

Margaritte Avatar

Yah, the title could maybe use an edit :D Still, Doc picked a PRT to settle on purpose because this way, anyone can live there and no one ever has to worry about getting evicted.

Fionwyn Wyldemane and Tahru like this.
  9. Fionwyn Wyldemane

Fionwyn Wyldemane Avatar

I actively work with @Dr Wiz in Grumridge as the cook and now branching off into alchemy :) He puts a lot of time into mentoring people one-on-one and provides not only answers to questions, but spends time purposely GMing different skills that would be a benefit to those he mentors. As someone who has benefited from his compassion and knowledge of SoTA, I can whole-heartedly encourage people to reach out to him or me for more information.

As stated, Grumridge is not a PoT. And Doc is not anti-guild by any means. He is not anti-anything except perhaps pressure, stress and negativity :)

margaritte, Winfield and Spoon like this.
  10. Onyx

Onyx Avatar

We, in EVL have a bit of a different method than many as far as recruiting members into our guild. We ask that they come into Teamspeak, talk with us, and hear about the guild if they would like, and not just coming to visit (which is perfectly fine). Then after they have played with us for a full month and if he/she feels like we make a good fit will offer them membership in the guild.

11. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

stopped with the overland reqruite anyone that passes by tactic?^^
    not to bash ur guild im sure your're all good folks but I have only seen 1 guild do this and it didnt really match with ur post :p

12. Numa

Numa Avatar

As someone who just joined a guild a month or two ago despite being here since 2014 - I fully support the message of @DrWiz

Take your time to find the right guild that fits you. I did and it was worth the wait.

Fionwyn Wyldemane and Stundorn like this.
  13. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Are you guys affiliated with the Goodwill Industries International organization of the USA?

14. Fionwyn Wyldemane

Fionwyn Wyldemane Avatar

I am not affiliated with Goodwill Industries. Dr Wiz is an actual doctor and has spent his life teaching about compassion. The Goodwill Center is centered around compassionate mentoring.

You can read his blog here: http://www.drc.life/goodwill center home.html

I'll reiterate there is no negativity toward guilds intended here. I belong to Pax et Veritas and live on the other side of the world from Grumridge. I participate because I believe in the project. :)

15. Frederick Glasgow

Frederick Glasgow Avatar

I like our guilds method of a trial 30 days being in Team Speak and running with the guild to see if you like it and fit in,before you are made a guild member. Even during the trial period,they share loot from runs,receive crafting help,help with gear and leveling.

Fionwyn Wyldemane likes this.
  16. Fionwyn Wyldemane

Fionwyn Wyldemane Avatar

I personally believe that guilds can be very helpful and a wonderful place to be a part of. By the same token, people can vanish from guilds and there are some people who have had bad experiences with guilds so they don't want to join one again.

As a community, we all have our quirks, needs, views and goals. The Goodwill Center is NOT here to supplant guilds, but to enhance the experience for SoTA players until they are ready to actually look for/join a guild. One-on-one mentoring, outside of a guild structure, is what some people need and we are here to provide it :)

margaritte and Numa like this.
  17. DrWIz

DrWIz Avatar

I like many of the replies posted here that speak to the problem of finding a good match of avatar to guild. The Goodwill Center is a mentoring center - like a not-for-profit college - where players come and get support while they "try out" a guild. It is NOT affiliated with the Goodwill Industries in real life and no movement has been made in that direction to make such an affiliation. Our goal is simple - compassionate sandbox mentoring for players while they find a home and a guild. We are seeking to decrease the suffering players can experience when they are in a guild which doesn't match. The Goodwill Center is one approach to the problem, and the posts here have mentioned other ways to help players have the freedom to explore options. What is great is that we are having the conversation about compassionately mentoring players while they seek to find a good guild fit. I am not anti-guild. I only seek to help avatars find the one they will like.

I have run into several situations, beyond helping new players, where a non-guild Goodwill Center can be of service to avatars:
    1. Player is absent from the game for a while and returns to find their guild is "dead"
    2. Player leaves guild because it is not a good fit.
    3. Player is kicked out of guild because it is not a good fit.

The Goodwill Center is a non-guild mentoring community in a non-POT town specifically to help players during times that they are not with a guild and would need community support while they search for a new guild, and perhaps a new home.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
    margaritte, Numa, Tahru and 2 others like this.
  18. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

19. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

please do not take this personally but this is marketing.

There are 100s of people who help players out, and there is no need to join a guild and even if you do and it is not a perfect fit one can leave just as easily.

I personally have helped out more than a handful of players with words of wisdom to actually items to halp them along. I Did not do it for anything in return nor as a gateway to my guild. Now I do introduce them to my guild since they are a great support channel and most of them are willing to help players out. A few have satyed in contact and far surpassed myself and return he assistance. others have drifted away.

All that need to be said is; "remember that you can change your guild affiliation at will, not all guilds are a perfect fit for any one person, there are may out there test them out, play around find the one you like."

There is no need to say; "do not join a guild . . ."

Remember there are many, MANY players out there willing to help, B U T there are also some out there with anterior motive, be wary be careful and be informed.

20. Winfield

Winfield Legend of the Hearth

That's a great web site for the Goodwill Center in Novia, in Grumridge. Well done! As I entered the web site for the first time, I didn't immediately realize it was a "game" location/service/organization. There's great advice on that site too.

@DrWiz , I like how you have taken your idea, used real life web site / blog technology to have a "home page" describing things well, and then a virtual in-game location to come, visit, participate, and join.

Thanks!

P.S., what did you get your PhD in?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.