Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Double-clicking. What's going on?

Discussion in 'Release 36 Feedback Forum' started by Alexandra Cornfellow, Dec 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alexandra Cornfellow

Alexandra Cornfellow Avatar

I'm rapidly approaching 61 years on the planet. I've been in the IT arena since the early 80's. And I have NEVER had a problem double-clicking on objects. However, in SotA, I seem to have a successful double-click less than 50% of the time. Gardening, harvesting, NPC dialogs, crafting tables--virtually anything requiring a double-click seems to behave this way. I'm just wondering:

1. Am I the only one experiencing this?
    2. Is there some sort of setting that I can use to adjust the double-click response?
    3. If 1 == false && 2 == false, what is the root cause of the issue?
    4. What is being done to address this.

The reason I'm a tad concerned about this is that I'm planning on playing SotA for many years to come and as my age increases and dexterity decreases, I don't want the game to be unplayable for me. Also, if others are experiencing this problem, I suspect folks with dexterity issues such as arthritis will have problems with this as well.

Cheers,
    Cornfellow

Gaelis, Zader, Kliirkast and 2 others like this.
  2. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Server reponse time?

3. Alexandra Cornfellow

So are you saying that each of my clicks in a double-click are sent to the server individually? And that some how, via the transport, the elapsed time between clicks is increased? Doesn't sound right to me. It's not that it takes a long time for the double-click to work (I can live with that). But that it doesn't work at all. I have to dc on an object multiple times, and very rapidly (much quicker than in other apps), in order for it to 'take'.

Are you @Stundorn experiencing this? It's important to me to discover if others are having this problem. I think I've seen some posts about this in the distant past. But was hoping that, if it's not unique to me, the developers would provide some feedback.

Cheers,
    Cornfellow

FrostII likes this.
  4. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

I rarely double click in SotA... I usually just press the E key when I need to double-click anything...

5. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

I have this problem.
    I've not found any solution.
    I have mostly developed the habit of hovering and pressing E, because double clicking is unreliable.

Gaelis, Preachyr, iansmellios and 3 others like this.
  6. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

Same problem here. I usually use the E key, but sometimes I have only one hand free and end up double clicking several times before I am successful.

Gaelis and FrostII like this.
  7. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

I have this Problem in big NPC cities, mostly doors and bankers.

For doors it's maybe a different Problem, for bankers the Server time reponse to load DB for my Inventory may be a cause.

FrostII likes this.
  8. TarrNokk

TarrNokk Avatar

Same here. Guess its a serverlag issue.

FrostII likes this.
  9. Alexandra Cornfellow

Thanks! I'm heartened that I'm not the only one and that it's not a problem on my local system :). My problem with the 'E' key is that I'm left handed, using the mouse with my left hand. Perhaps the solution is to remap to a key on the right side. But I sure wish the developers would at least let us know what is causing this issue. I am very doubtful of the 'server lag' theory because the double-click doesn't work at all. If it just took a little time for the action to happen after the dc I would be open to lag. It feels to me more like the dc has to happen lightning quick with an absolute minimum amount of time between each click. I've also noticed that I have more success if I hover over the object and wait until the tool-tip appears, then do my dc--but I still need to click very rapidly. It would seem like this should be a setting for us slow clickers.

In any event, thanks for the responses, much appreciated.

Cheers,
    Cornfellow

iansmellios and FrostII like this.
  10. TarrNokk

TarrNokk Avatar

Most problems at this state of the game are caused due to serverlags, so it happens to dc issues. I noticed that when you fresh logged in or used a boatman in Ardoris, that you have to wait about 1 minute before doors can be opened. But as they announced, performance will get more love in next release.

11. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

I have the issue exactly as you've described it @Alexandra Cornfellow . As others have said, I use the e key almost all the time - except when taking a boat ( like the ones in Brittany and Kingsport ) because the e key there will invariably take me to somewhere other than Kingsport or Brittany.
    But the issue with "double click" non-response is both quite real and equally annoying. :mad:

GreyMouser Skye likes this.
  12. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

@Alexandra Cornfellow

I have the same / similar issue. Mostly I get it when trying to open chests on a lot I own - where the game registers the first clock as a deco move and the second registers on an already in use object.

Reported multiple times and even looked into by @Chris at one point. But he couldn't find the issue. So I think the Jira is closed-with-no-solution.

What this is due to is if you have even the tiniest change in XY of the mouse between first and second click.
    That means the faster between the clicks the less of this issue you will potentially get - and unfortunately a double click will be slower between clicks as our fingers age.
    So When I tire of this I have to place the mouse on a non slippery surface and let go of it and only hammer it with the finger - very very annoying

Please note:
    1. This is a "newish" issue. It didn't use to be like this - instead it appeared when they played around with the mouse sensitivity settings, maybe around R30-ish.
    2. You can use the settings to assign the E interact to some other key, like middle mouse - however that leads to the issue of using E with an open container and the Take All.
    3. I think you can solve this by playing with a combination of the mouse sensitivity settings in both the game and in Windows - however that will affect your gameplay in all other aspects. So I have never bothered myself.
    4. Please re-report it as a bug to potentially get new attention to this. Give me an @Spoon as well and I can fill in with some details. Maybe include @ to the others in this topic as well so they can chime in.

Preachyr likes this.
  13. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

@Alexandra Cornfellow
    I wonder if my other, more pressing, problem is related: it takes me ages to loot a humanoid mob. When in a group, many other players seem to loot "on the fly", barely pausing at a corpse to loot it. One player told me he mapped double E to a key so he only has to press one key when running past a corpse to loot a mob.

I, on the other hand, have to stop completely, press E, then wait around 2 seconds for the loot window to slowly appear. I have to wait until the window fully displays before pressing E again to "take all". The individual items are looted one by one, and I have to wait until the loot window slowly empties before I move away. Pressing E twice in quick succession doesn't work for me. And if I run on before the loot window is completely empty, I don't get the loot.

The result is, if I am in a group, every time I loot a mob I get left behind and have to run to catch up with the group which is already enmeshed in another battle. So I try to avoid looting when in a group. If I am alone, the mobs often respawn before I can loot the ones I have already killed. This happens to me all the time in the popular halberd collection scene Serpent's Spine Foothills. I have finally reached a proficiency where I can kill 4 bandits at a time by depleting both my focus and using a lot of reagents, but before I am able to loot them all after the battle, a new group respawns and being devoid of focus I have to flee without looting the corpses. Does anyone else have this problem?

Quenton, Gaelis, Womby and 1 other person like this.
  14. TarrNokk

TarrNokk Avatar

I have the same issue with slow loot windows. So I always loot while I fight the other mobs.Problem solved

15. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

I can do that in 3 skull scenes where the mobs are green, but not in 4 skull scenes where the mobs are yellow. I have to keep moving and firing spells constantly. If I stand still for several seconds I am killed. I'm sure my build could be improved upon, but I'm unable to figure out a better way.

16. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

I have this issue along with the drag and drop sometimes not working right on my surface pro 2. I suspect it may have to do with low frame rate. This problem seems to occur after the issue with the camera randomly pan up after reticle view was implemented.

17. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

I did notice this happening, specifically when I was trying to engage player merchants in nearly ANY scene, but thought it was because of the aforementioned mouse sensitivity problem (I do have a very underutilized Razer gaming mouse, after all). Good to know it isn't just me. As a result, I too have gone over to the "Just use E" camp.

18. mass

mass Avatar

I seem to have an 'overzealous' double click. A lot of times when I loot mobs, I only want the gold. But sometimes when I double click the gold, it will take it and the item below it. I've been assuming it's something to do with the timing of my double click, but now I'm not so sure.

19. Lord Ravnos

Lord Ravnos Avatar

I've had issue with the cursor and free-look this release, not sure if it's related to the double-clicking, but it's definitely a mouse issue and could/might be lag related? My issue I posted as a bug, but basically I'll be holding down RMB to free-look and it will randomly let go and cursor reappears. I have not double-clicked to loot in a long time in favor of using 'E'. But I do occasionally have to quadruple click doors and such to get them to respond, but not that often.

20. Glimo

Glimo Avatar

Same here, double-click hasn't worked since before persistence. Have to use E. Which is a huge pain in places that E doesn't work, like crafting tables. Sometimes it will take almost a full minute to select a recipe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.