Double XP, How much is too much?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Fenrus MacRath, May 18, 2018.

?

How often should we have a Double XP event?

Poll closed May 28, 2018.
  1. Once a year

12.5%
  2. Once every 6 months

32.9%
  3. Once a month

17.1%
  4. ALWAYS Have Double XP! Some times make it TRIPLE!!!

37.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Game is way to grindy. Double XP makes it better and better for groups (feels worthwhile).

2. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I think they should do a daily double xp event, like they did before persistence, where you would get double xp up to a certain amount based on your level.

Oyjord Hansen likes this.
  3. ErikRulez

ErikRulez Avatar

I wonder what my boss would say if after he decided to pay me double for two weeks a couple of times and I went and told him, "Wait a minute, I think I'm getting paid double too often".

Mishras likes this.
  4. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

It's only double XP because of where the base has been set. It is IMO set to low to start. I would be happy if the base was moved to 1.5X where it is now, then anything more would be rare and exciting events occasionally.

5. Oyjord Hansen

Oyjord Hansen Avatar

Didn't UO have something like "magic hour" when for the first hour logged on every day you received double xp? I could go for a system like that.

It'd encourage people to login and play at least an hour a day, yet it's not spoiling the players, and still allows for double xp boons upon holidays or unexpected downtime apologies, etc.

Feeyo, Vermine and kaeshiva like this.
  6. Ainanymous

Ainanymous Avatar

1. Double exp for new players is not necessary.
    When I started a second avatar to play, I sneezed and made level 20 just fine, no double exp required.
    The bar to make the lower levels is already set very low.
    It isn't until you hit about level 30 that you start noticing things slowing down (that's about day 3 for new players).

2. Double exp for the first hour of game play is a very bad idea.
    Players will get so addicted to the bonus, they'll start losing taste for the normal.
    I still have vivid memories of another game where I would log in to multiple accounts for just 2 minutes each to get my daily dose of bonus joy, then promptly log off.
    I did this for months. Only one of those accounts would I actually play after receiving the bonus.

3. Random double exp for everyone sounds like a good idea.
    In another game, the Message of the Day would name a single zone offering bonus experience, enticing players to try/re-try that area.
    The offered zone would rotate weekly among five different zones from the latest release pack.
    Sometimes I'd partake and sometimes not, but I'd always scan the MOTD for which zone was up.

4. Random double exp day is also a bad idea. See reason #2 above.

7. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

To be honest, the "double" exp rate feels a lot better pace, at least at higher levels, and I find I am enjoying the game more when decay is only hitting half as hard or when I can make more meaningful progress in a play session. However at the same time, I think having it on half the time cheapens it - it should be something that is special not two weeks every month. The behavior pattern I'm observing is that when double is on, you can't drag folks away from grinding to do anything else, but when its not on, there's a noticeable lack of folks around. I have even less inclination to engage in "risky" behavior than before, since now I'll need to wait two weeks to grind back any deaths without it feeling like as big a waste of my time. And now that its going to include producer, it seems the two "off" weeks are now a mad scramble to stockpile things to craft during the double time ....the reality is, if its going to be 2 weeks every month it might as well just be the new standard XP rate so we can all go about our normal business instead of feeling compelled to take advantage of it.

Gorthyn, Aldo, FrostII and 1 other person like this.
  8. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Shroud used to have something like this pre-persistence - you got a bonus for the first howevermuch xp you earned (based on your level). I thought this worked really well, never really understood why they removed it.

Oyjord Hansen likes this.
  9. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Please DO NOT implement power hour like UO had in the first hour of logging on. That was horrible. If you need an hour of 2x, then put it where the player can control when they want it.

Vladamir Begemot, FrostII and Jaesun like this.
  10. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

What I liked about the previous system before persistence was that it wasn't time based, it was xp based. So you could do all your login business and shopping and stuff and it didn't matter what you fought or how long it took, a set amount of xp was 'doubled' every day until it ran out. This worked pretty well and I was sad to see it go.

11. dorkish

dorkish Avatar

I just wish they would stop doing Dbl exp during patch week i spend half my time downloading the game instead of playing it wasn't to thrilled with todays surprise patch either 6.5 gb totaly wrecked my afternoon and evening play time heading into the weekend not a good way to start it

3devious likes this.
  12. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

Double XP terrifies people who ground for a year and a bit before launch, knowing they wouldn't be wiped. They love the advantage.

They still have a massive advantage over someone who started at launch, even with double XP, so they shouldn't really worry. But they do.

Kain Darkmoor likes this.
  13. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

I'd say 6-10 weeks a year. (weeks, not "times", since some of our times have lasted 2 weeks)

And I think the times we've had so far have been as much about making sure the tech works as anything else.

Vermine likes this.
  14. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Enough is enough when I can mass 24 million xp for my second Specalization. Then I will be satisfied. Hehe. :)

Last edited: May 19, 2018
  15. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Double XP is great. And weird. It skews our normal routine. Stores go untended. Events go unattended.

People that would show up at an event are instead grinding themselves into the ground in the monkey room.

Best thing in my mind is to get the normal XP amount set correctly (perhaps doubled) and then have future double XP events happen at the users choice times. If it's going to be something long like 2 weeks, then give it as "1 - 2 hours of double XP per day, activated when you want" during that period.

Or as a reward "Everyone gets 7 Obsidian potions (so it's not pay to win, EVERYONE gets the potion) that doubles your XP and lasts for 2 (or 4?) hours."

Otherwise if you make it a single potion that lasts a week everyone will feel obligated to get out there and grind themselves into the afterlife. In my mind it is better to let us slow players play slow.

Hornpipe and Gorthyn like this.
  16. Pawz

Pawz Avatar

There is never enough exp! :)

17. Gregg247

Gregg247 Avatar

City of Heroes used to do Double XP weekends twice a year and it was great! They'd announce it about 2 weeks in advance, and it would be the talk of the Forums. That game encouraged multiple alts play, so everyone was asking which alts you'd be concentrating on, which power sets, which missions, etc. It was a lot of fun. One guy told us that he sent his wife and kids on a weekend vacation to Six Flags just so he'd have them out of his hair and he could play all 3 days in peace! LOL

Anyway, I think twice a year is good. It's seldom enough to be a fun and exciting change of pace, but often enough that we have something to plan for and look forward to.

18. Kain Darkmoor

Kain Darkmoor Avatar

I say keep it to holidays and special events. The problem with doing it every month is people stop logging in when it goes away.

Also consider boosting base experience gain by 25%.

GreyMouser Skye and jammaplaya like this.
  19. Fenrus MacRath

Fenrus MacRath Avatar

Hi,
    I think you might be making an assumption as to what other people are thinking or feeling. Its provocative, but seldom accurate. I am one of the people who has been here since about 4 months after persistence and I played a good amount. I am not "worried about losing my advantage" because honestly, I spend most of my gametime showing new players / new guild mates around and helping them get their bearings in the game. What I personally am worried about , is the loss of adventure and spirit of fun that slugging along with a couple friends brings, because I am mindlessly grinding the monkey room. The monkey room, in my opinion is the sota equivalent of watching paint dry. Why does everyone want to fly by all the newbie zones? and tier 3 zones? Port is spending a metric f-ton of time polishing these zones, and double XP will make them obsolete and just add more players to the gridlock of the Rise or the Fall.

Just my opinion

20. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

I am quite happy with Double XP being a super long telethon stretch goal. Maybe not a goal for each and every telethon, but definitely a goal to stretch for every other month. It's fine if that goal is then hit each time they put it up too.

Double XP. Does it harm anyone to be made available?

Elwyn likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.