DragonCon 2016 Post Gathering Photos and Discussion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Winfield, Sep 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Winfield

Winfield Legend of the Hearth

Many SotA players and non-players descended on Atlanta to attend DragonCon 2016 and meet up with Richard Garriott (Lord British) and Tracy Hickman, and more!

Here is where we can tell our stories, offer pictures, describe what we learned, and even comment on things we could do as a group or individuals to have even more fun next year and work together.

Here is where those who could not attend can participate in ideas too!​

Many of us hung out with Richard Garriott and Shooter Jennings. We laughed a lot, talked a lot, ate, drank and were very merry.

At this moment, a group of us are headed back for the Sunday Day of events.

If this thread spawns detailed topic discussions, like things from New Britannia Round Table, a one-hour community round table, they can be presented here and then another thread created for the detail. There are quite a few ideas that may follow this path here.

Let the stories and tales begin!

Richard “Lord British” Garriott at Dragon Con!
    Richard Garriott will be attending Dragon Con From Friday to Sunday this coming September 2-4! He will be available at certain times for autographing, as well as on a number of exciting panels you won’t want to miss. See the complete schedule.

Here is a preview of the panels he will be on:
      • Commercial Space Is Busting Out Everywhere!
      • Shroud of the Avatar – Q&A
      • Craft Your Own Automation
      • Stuff Podcast – LIVE!
      • New Britannia Round Table
      • Celebrity Gaming with Pathfinder!
      • A Hour With Lord British
      • Mars in 10 Years! Can Elon Get It Done?

Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
    Elgarion, Leelu, StevieD and 14 others like this.
  2. Parson Barr

Parson Barr Avatar

What an amazing time. I got to meet Richard, Lazarus, Houston Dragon, and others. What a passionate group and what a thrill it was to witness the collaborative process at work during the Con. I can't wait to see what comes next.

PB

Elgarion, Leelu, Audacity and 6 others like this.
  3. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

Please share some pictures/videos to those who were not fortunate enough to be there.

Elgarion, Leelu, Time Lord and 4 others like this.
  4. Winfield

5. Sir Cabirus

Sir Cabirus Avatar

This was surely great, what a pity that I could not attend.

Elgarion, Time Lord and Krohon like this.
  6. Krohon

Krohon Avatar

Great!

I wonder, will the LB tiara became craftable in game?

7. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

It was an absolute pleasure meeting each and every one of you in person finally. I really hope we can get together again next year for more fun at the con.

Sincerely,
    One furry thuri

Elgarion, Time Lord, Winfield and 2 others like this.
  8. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

An amazing adventure for you guys! I will have to get to Dragon Con next year. It's one of the few events of this type I've never attended yet.

9. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

What's that book's title Richard has standing up there? :)
    Does anyone know o_O?

~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

Elgarion, Audacity and Krohon like this.
  10. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

Elgarion, Time Lord and Krohon like this.
  11. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

12. Winfield

I did way more than I expected at the Dragon Con 2016. Next year I will explore MORE and be there for an entire week (not just 2 days).

• Getting picked up at the Greyhound Station at Midnight, and squashed into a 4 person car with 5 people! Felt like a sardine! Nice!
    • Staying at the Phoenix Republic House - a blast! Go to sleep at about 3 AM, up at 8 AM, Lyft to the MARTA, train downtown, get stuck in a parade, loads of fun!
    • Got to the Convention in the middle of the morning Parade without a badge! Highly un-advised! Could not cross the street to get a badge, got stuck in a secure area inside a business complex with no way out and 19 floors with locked elevator floors - felt like being locked in a museum after hours! - Something to be avoided.
    • Hanging out with Richard Garriott MULTIPLE TIMES - Priceless!
    • Seeing Tracy Hickman and Laura Hickman at the SotA and Void panels on stories. Superb! What a great couple! http://www.trhickman.com
    • Attending Richard Garriott's panels and discussions from SotA to Space to Automatons. Epic!
    • Meeting Jeff Burdett (facebook) (actor, producer) - new production in development "Archangel The Series" - facebook - great guy, fun to be with!
    • Being able to stay an extra day because @Elgarion drove me 7 hours (with some great side trips) to my home! - Wow, what a friend!
    • Eating, eating and more eating (drinking too!) - plan to gain weight and lose brain cells. So much fun!
    • Hanging out with so many Avatars! Too many to really mention lest I leave out a few! You know who you are!
    Things I REALLY want to do next year:
    • Do more on the gaming floors - board, video, console, etc. - there was even an "in your underwear" dance/run game on a big console. Didn't understand it, but was fun to watch!
    • See more of the panels, exhibits. Buy more stuff too!
    • Really get to see the Parade! - Every group, every band. I saw the band play Star Wars and it was SO FANTASTIC! People went wild! So many more groups to see.
    • Hang out in the prime hotels. So many people dressed up as Harry Potter characters, Alice in Wonderland, Creatures, Donald Trump look-alikes (sort of!), zombies, and more!
    • Meet more interesting people! If you are willing to talk to people, this is the place for you! So many stories and backgrounds come together for a fun time.
    • Be downtown for the night life more too! The Convention is 24 hours.
    Plan a trip to DragonCon 2017 and team up with other SotA players and fans ... it is worth it!

Well, I do need to find a good fishing hole there ... that's my next quest!

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
  13. Winfield

I see this thread is linked to the September 9 Weekly SotA Update - wow!

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?p=62922

Many from the community also attended Dragon Con to meet with Richard Garriott, Tracy Hickman, and to celebrate their presence in the game with each other. Enter the forums to see more photos of their adventures, and to post your own if you attended Dragon Con as well!

There are many photos on facebook and twitter too. Can we bring them into this thread too? That would be great!

Here are some Movie Shorts from Radio Free Britannia: go here for the album -> https://goo.gl/photos/bHWV4ZG8XbCr8mvq7

One of the items in the album --> See this one: a slide and video show of several fun days!

14. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

HAH! the redshirt made it in. SWEET!

if you see this, welcome to the community!

Elgarion and Time Lord like this.
  15. Elgarion

Elgarion Dev Emeritus Dev Emeritus

[​IMG]
    @Grimace2 getting his Tabula Rasa dog tags signed by our very own Lord British with esteemed author Tracy Hickman in the backdrop.

[​IMG]
    @Elgarion getting picture taken with our beloved game designer, Lord British.

[​IMG]
    Lord British meets us at Hard Rock Cafe in Atlanta. Not only did he come out to eat with us, he came out every night he was there! We truly had a simply wonderful host each evening, and he had so many amazing stories and insight into his vision for the game. Rest assured, my friends, so many wonderful things are coming our way in Shroud of the Avatar.

[​IMG]
    After a day of conventioning, eating, drinking, we drug our tired arses to a nearby pub (McGilly's I believe). There we reminisced of our day's adventures, and ate more and drank more!

[​IMG]
    Again, another night with our wonderful host Lord British. As he did every night, ensured everyone in our group got to speak with him every night. Not only did we get to ask MANY questions, he also jotted down a lot of interesting ideas for the game that our group members had that he felt might make promising editions to the game sometime in its future!

[​IMG]
    A bystander noticed Lord British was in our group, and of course in good LB fashion, he greeted him with open arms. Not only did the passerby get to meet one of his favorite game developers, he got a souvenir mission patch from Richard Garriott's outer space flight!

[​IMG]
    Alas, the trip was coming to a close and @Elgarion and @Winfield made journey to Virginia so that the governor of PaxLair could be reunited with his wife. But no, we would not allow it to be anything but a fun adventure through the beautiful Appalachian Mountains. We stopped at as many picturesque locations as we could to enjoy the day.

[​IMG]
    Aunt Sue's watering hole was one of the more fun stops we made. Sitting out on the porch in a rocking chair transported me back into simpler times. Times without cell phones or the internet. Times in which people stopped to smell the roses. Such a wonderful departure from the big city life in Atlanta!

[​IMG]
    One of our last stops was in the Story Telling Capitol of the World, Jonesburough, Tennessee! Such a wonderfully quaint town and perfect for a Bed and Breakfast vacation. Up, on a hill, @Winfield and I noticed a Salt House... "What could that be?" we asked ourselves. The second the last questioning word left our lips, our feet were already carrying us there. 15 minutes from closing, the entrepreneur running the establishment allowed us to stay late and sample his fine selection of corn distilled products. A true chemist he was, for straight shots of his rum produced a wonderfully wonderfully smooth flavor. I had to have a bottle for myself.

[​IMG]
    And remember my friends, "Angry Pecker enhances your PvPness!" I will be sending Starr, Chris and friends a bottle shortly in hopes they can continue to survive the PvP competitions which are in their future!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.