Drumplemouth....

Discussion in 'Quests & Lore' started by Almar, Apr 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Almar

Almar Avatar

...seriously?

I play games like this to suspend the reality - I don't need parodies in-game too.

Please. Never do this again.

Ever.

Verit likes this.
  2. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

I actually enjoyed that character in the story. I hope we get more character parodies of real people in game.

Culann and LoneStranger like this.
  3. Almar

Almar Avatar

No. RL is bad enough, I'm here for escape thx

4. Almar

Almar Avatar

Let me put this in better detail.

I'm a graphic designer. I have done party political design work for a party I would not vote for.

That, to me, is fine. I met good people with a different political perspective and we got on with each other, we joked, we debated.

Politics today are too binary. That's not how life should be. People of different political perspectives need to debate or we get bad s@it. Worse than we have now.

I own a company, just like Richard. Why would I alienate 50% of my user base?

To me this is a no brainer. Someone with the business acumen of Richard Garroit, I am surprised he went there. His colours are nailed to the mast and that is fine. Political diversity is great, taking it into business... into a fantasy game.... in MY opinion is bad business. No matter how you vote.

My 2p worth.

5. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

I agree with the OP.

StrangerDiamond and Almar like this.
  6. Echondas

Echondas Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

Maybe this character and associated story/quest is meant to spark dialogue and create some debate, and get folks thinking - like the Fellowship did in U7.

7. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

The issue is we are not suppose to talk politics in game or on the forums. So why include quests directly related to political agendas and then ban the ability to discuss?

Drumplemouth is in poor taste and was worse before Portalarium made some changes.

StrangerDiamond likes this.
  8. redfish

redfish Avatar

I don't know if it will do that ...

Mind you, I had to look up what the OP was talking about, since I haven't done the Blood River quests yet. But I saw there was another thread here on the forums about it and I looked up Easter Egg thread which had screenshots of the conversations. I personally have no issue with satire or parody in games or other forms of entertainment if its done in a way that's either smart and has something smart to say, or, harmless and silly.

In this case, my guess is it turns people off because while the intended parody of the real life person seems kind of obvious (its over the top), its a stretch to link the attitude of the character (ethnic cleansing) with the attitude of the real life person, but you can imagine his political opponents making that connection in some sort of reducto ad Hitlerum.

9. Sir_Hemlock

Sir_Hemlock Avatar

I'd read about dumple thing + thought it was f------ lame.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.