Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Dying sucks

Discussion in 'Release 23 Feedback' started by Quenton, Nov 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I don't know what the answer is right now, but I totally agree that death needs more consequences. Currently, death is joke. I could care less if I die in PVE or PVP because there's nothing to lose.

Even in PVP the ransoms are sooooooooo low, that no one has a problem paying them. In PVE, dying is great because it automatically resets all your health and focus and let's face it the reason people die is because they run out of health and focus. It's like running out of gas in your car and then instantly having a full tank of gas! Who would EVER goto the gas station if this happened in real life?

So the idea that "dying sucks" might have some weight to it on the margins, but it's not supposed to be fun. Right now I would argue that dying is actually only problematic if you can't find an aunk - and you can fix that problem by going somewhere that you can find an aunk.

2. redfish

redfish Avatar

I'd support injury accumulation on death, which would limit max health. Then you'd have to treat the injury, which would cost you money or reagents.

Death should also have an impact on armor durability. It does already, if I'm mistaken.

You're right that ankhs are a bit out from death penalties, though; I don't think they should be. Just because ankhs resurrect you, doesn't mean they should erase all the consequences of death IMO.

3. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

I'd prefer a death mode similar to UO, where your body becomes a ghost figure, the world turns greyscale, but you walk and run like you would if you were alive. And the ability to pass through doors.

As a gold sink, I'd welcome death taking away 10% of the gold you're carrying at the time of death. Enough to make it a little painful but not enough to frustrate the playing experience.

I'd also welcome a full loot system but let's face it, that's not going to happen.

Sir_Hemlock and Quenton like this.
  4. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

Dying does suck in PVE if you can't reach an ankh in time (which I am rarely able to do). You still get the "death penalty" - rez with minimal health and focus and reduced stats :( Plus, that mob of creatures who just killed you always seems to still be nearby, resulting in death again unless you can outrun them :eek: (Only able to get away sbout half of the time, even with Sprint :()

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  5. Rhiannon

Rhiannon Avatar

First off, let me say I am one of those people (maybe the ONLY person) who absolutely, positively HATES to die. In UO, I got to the point I just simply wouldn't do anything that was dangerous enough to get killed. And that ended up limiting me to crafting/gardening/vendoring. I HATED trying to go back to the spot where I got killed with the monster that killed me still there to try and retrieve my hard earned gold. They finally let you bind rare armor and such so you didn't lose that.

Secondly, I thought I saw Chris say a while back that the dying we have now isn't the final way before release. Or did I dream that? I personally kinda like being pulled away from what killed me to a RELATIVELY safe place. I also like that my stuff is still with me. If I've been collecting cotton with my week-a** self, I don't want to lose it all because I didn't notice half a dozen poisonous spiders lurking nearby.

Bluefire likes this.
  6. Quenton

Quenton Avatar

In UO you could run towards an ankh and double click it to get resurrected, and there was I think one per dungeon, and one at each shrine.

If we just need to make pre-alpha testing easier, then all that needs to be added is a button that says "Resurrect now" added to the existing process. Done!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.