Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

"E" Interact Key - open/close/take all suggestion - Shift-E to Take All, not just E

Discussion in 'Release 39 Feedback Forum' started by Winfield, Feb 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Winfield

Winfield Legend of the Hearth

I don't know if this has come up before...

Problem I have is containers seem to interact just like Corpses, that is ... E (open), E (take all items and close). I suggest Shift-E to take all and be separated from E so we can use E to Open/Close containers avoiding some grave mistakes we might make by taking all of other people's stuff in our towns.

Here's why:

I was out adventuring, getting loot quickly from corpses .... E (open), E (take all loot) then the corpse closes. Nice!!

Went back to my town home and interacted with objects:
    • DOOR: E (open), E (Close) - I'm old school UO, always close a door behind you.
    • LETTER ON MY DESK: E (open), read it, E (close). Perfect.
    • TRUNK CONTAINER: E (open), Drop Items In, E (close ... oops... take all from trunk! 210 items, and it's shared trunk space with other kindred). Everything in the trunk went into my backpack inventory. Argh. I had to guess what I had in inventory versus what was in the trunk and put everything back.

Anyone else experience this using the E key with a container in your house? An annoyance? Inadvertently take things from the community chest or someone else's box if you are the house owner?

RECOMMENDATION:

E - Interact key could work like this:
    • E - open / close containers, books, bank containers, doors, corpses, vendors, etc.
    • Shift-E - Take All from a container

EXAMPLES:
    • Trunks: E (open), Shift-E (take all), E (close) - perfect - I grabbed everything.
    • Trunks: E (open), look inside to see what is in it, E (close) - Just looking, not taking.
    • Corpses: E (open), Ah I want all the loot! Shift-E (take all) - automatically closes after taking all.
    • Corpses: E (open), Oh I don't want anything, E (close)
    If this slows down looting corpses though (E E - open and get all loot fast!), I suggest Corpses be treated differently from chests/trunks using the E key. Only allow Take All from a chest/trunk using Shift-E.

Thoughts?

2. Winfield

As I continue to adventure, gather, kill things, E-E is definitely a fast key combination to open corpse/loot corpse (take all). For gathering, same thing ... E-chop the tree, E-loot the tree.

So I think E-E should remain for adventuring.

Now, how do we not use E-E when interacting in our homes and towns and cache chests to prevent Take All. It's probably not easy and complicates the programming. It's easier when all containers are "containers" I imagine.

iansmellios, Leelu and uhop like this.
  3. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

I think double tap E works very well for corpses. Not so much with home containers.

Leelu, Net, uhop and 1 other person like this.
  4. eli

eli Avatar

After you remove everything from a chest, the removed items are still selected, so you can just drag them back.

Adding a separate key would be a really big pain for people like me who use gamepads and have limited buttons.

Tamsen, Leelu and Winfield like this.
  5. Winfield

Great suggestion on the "removed items are still selected". I did that once.

A different key would be a pain, but maybe it is only relevant for house (in a player house) containers where people aren't E-E to loot, but E-E to open/close.

I noticed all the items were highlighted that came over from the house chest with the E-E combination; one time I noticed and dragged all the items back into the chest (whew), except those items that stacked in my pack (no idea which ones those were). Yet, 3 times I tested while going into and out of the chests, reading books, etc. on a normal routine, my "muscle memory" said E-open, E-close. But with containers in town, it is E-open, E-take all, which is tuned for Adventuring, not in-town activities. That's what creates the problem I think.

Several times I clicked off on something else, and lost track of what was highlighted. We have many community chests in our town for Kindred and E-E will grab all the items and combine in the backpack. Quickly noticing and dragging back does work, but when in a hurry, all ends up in your pack and you can't hardly even move. Then you spend 5-15 minutes sorting it all out to put things back.

Leelu likes this.
  6. Winfield

Another instance of the E-E not working well on house lots with chests... I had a crafting supplies chest open for the contents to craft on a carpenter station. I moved some items to my backpack to work with. I left the crafting supplies chest open.

I turned to the carpenter station, hovered over it with the mouse, and pressed E. The station did not open, but ALL the crafting supplies ended up in my backpack AND the supplies chest container Closed. Arg. That's ok, I noticed -- used E to open the supplies chest, then carefully dragged over highlighted items from my backpack.

After that experience, I closed the supplies chest to be double-certain it would not fill my backpack again.

We players can work around this... just different muscle-memory working with containers on a player house lot versus a loot container while adventuring.

I still think a E-Open, Shift-E Take All, E-Close key sequence will work better with player house lot containers. Keep the adventuring containers/corpses with E-open, E-Take All/Close for fast looting! I do that all the time.

Net and Leelu like this.
  7. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

Phew. Amen to looting staying e-e

Tamsen and Leelu like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.