1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Early Access Schedule

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Nov 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

If Macs were such better machines, why do you have to switch to VMs to do the things you want to do? ;)

MagiK likes this.
  2. Floors

Floors Avatar

LoneStranger,

I know you were just troll baiting but the reason is because there's really a lack of software for the Mac in certain critical areas.

There just hasn't been as much incentive in the past for people to develop software for Mac, and most of the new impetus is going to mobile development

on both android and iOS these days...

Also, a lot of people don't buy Macs because, let's face it, they are overpriced for the hardware you get.

That is psychologically a huge barrier to many people for whom a computer is a very expensive purchase. "Why should I buy this mac when I can get 'the same machine' for x hundred dollars less ?" Sure, you have to run Windows... but that's not a problem, since windows still runs pretty much everything today.

However, I think once people realize what a nice ecosystem it is (which is happening because of user satisfaction in the mobile market) it will change. Still - until apple commodifies their stuff - which won't ever happen - people probably won't move over en masse.

You saw what razor thin hardware margins did to the rest of the PC industry - basically destroyed it.

It's also still somewhat unclear if, in 5 years, PCs and Macs as non-portable devices will still exist.

The time will come when your phone will probably be able to do everything a "computer" can do.

/thread_derail

Kilhwch and Devoid like this.
  3. Devoid

Devoid Avatar

I switched to Mac more than 15 years ago, I won't go back to windows, and I won't taint my machine with windows.
    However, I don't understand why Apple doesn't get serious about gaming, considering how gaming has developed and become what it is today - not to mention what it is tomorrow.

My son built a hackentosh, he runs both OSX and windows on it, but has all the hassles of a regular PC, namely having to constantly update all the drivers individually (and I mean all the drivers) for everything on a regular basis, and stay on top of the antivirus thing.
    I ran my antivirus program for the first time in over a year and there was nothing on my machine. (I updated my antivirus program first of course.)

/thread_derail_more

4. KernelPanic

KernelPanic Avatar

I'm looking forward to the early access! :)

5. MagiK

MagiK Avatar

Anyone who buys an Apple product has no room to complain about any other Corporatation or Industry like Big Oil, Big Pharma, the Banking Industry or Wall Street.
    I spent 10 years as an Apple Fan, until Jobs turned into Darth Vader. I switched to WinTel products and have never regretted it....but I have no idea what that has to do with Early Access which I am seriously looking forward to.

6. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

Yeah.. shouldn't derail it further, Apple is losing market share to their competitors in both mobile and pc market now so you aren't going to see any of your issues getting better with lack of software/game support. Also, you can install Mac OSX on any PC so if it's the OS you like you don't have to overspend on the hardware. I know some people who have all 3 OS's on their computers. I've used mac OSx on my PC. it was alright, I couldn't use most of the software and games I like though so I really saw no purpose to it. Worldwide you are looking at Mac OSx on 7% of systems(they had 10%) and ios on 14% of mobile devices(they used to have 54%). Windows and Android dominate those 2 by a huge margin, It's why apple's stock is down and is likely going to remain there unless they can turn this trend around. It's trading around 13 p/e which is about right for a company not seeing exponential growth like it had been and is facing tough competition. I also haven't had any viruses in many years on my windows PC.. except for one, itunes has an exploit that a virus used, so I uninstalled itunes and haven't had one since. (only had it because someone gave me an ipod touch 4 years ago.. ended up getting rid of it too).. My personal problem with apple is the closed garden approach, I have to pay a premuim for everything and use their stuff or it isn't going to work well if at all. itunes I have a huge issue with and I think it should be illegal that they require it to be installed for their products. If Microsoft tried that during the 90s people would have brought out the pitch forks and torches, but Apple used to get away with a lot, I think people are looking harder at them.

7. MagiK

MagiK Avatar

Yiokes!!! Seems my Signature gets bigger when It is used here in SotA...... hrrm Wonder why it does that.

8. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

I don't think the forums follow any kind of picture sizing rules. I have resized pictures in the editor only to have them go full-size upon posting. You'll have to manually resize your image into a second file.

MagiK likes this.
  9. MagiK

MagiK Avatar

I would but I sized it so it works everywhere else I go...seems there is some magikal "embiggening" going on in this realm :D

10. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

If you click directly on the image's link (http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx202/Immagikman/BC1-sig.png) you get it at the same size as your sig, 1,024px × 279px. This tells me that you didn't actually resize the image file, but instead are using forum magic to resize it everywhere else. That won't work here, unfortunately. Just resize a new file "BC1-sig_small" or something and make it half the height or less.

11. MagiK

MagiK Avatar

Ill give it a shot...well that is smaller :)

12. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

hey there MagiK "All Signatures must be NO larger then 550 pixels wide x 150 pixels high." you are sitting at 812 x 222 right now :)

13. Mastrix

Mastrix Avatar

So I'm wondering if there is going to be a relatively high qualtiy bug-capturing forum. I like to make descriptive bugs - logs, images, etc. I don't know how reasonable that is, to offer something like that to your player testers (and I'm unclear on what your logs will look like as I have never touched your software), but I'd like it.

-Mastirx

14. dreamlarp

dreamlarp Avatar

I was wondering if your on one of the payment pleadges do we get to start in December or when we are fully payed?

15. Sir Seir

Sir Seir Avatar

Payment plans "work" just as if you've paid in full, so you should have immediate alpha access.

16. Porter

Porter Avatar

Because this is such a long thread, I hope somebody could answer a question for me. Is there a limited number of people getting in to Alpha and Beta? Is it first come, first serve? I too haven't been involved in a beta testing and can't wait to (hopefully) be a part of this one as I'm a big UO fan. I will have put more real money into this game than any one before it and I haven't even played the game yet!! Love it and look forward to being part of this community. Thank you all.

17. Porter

Porter Avatar

Somebody beat me to the question as I was posting...nm :)

18. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

Are you sure? I thought that you didn't get access to the Dev+ area until you had actually paid more than 400/450. This is to keep people from pledging to get a perk and then cancelling. I imagine it works the same way for alpha/beta access.

MagiK likes this.
  19. Rampage202

Rampage202 Avatar

So long as someone can reach the first real pledge tier (the Adventurer) before Portalarium decides to no longer offer alpha and beta access, they'll get into the alpha and beta at the same time as the rest of us.

20. Sir Seir

Sir Seir Avatar

Wouldn't it be nice if they actually posted an official answer? That was my understanding; I am certainly capable of being very, very wrong :)

I've not seen any indication that they are wanting a limited alpha release (but again, who the heck knows); I would *imagine* that if you pledged (even payment plans) for Adventurer that you'd get access.

*boggles at the lack of clarity that surrounds this project*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.