1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Early Public Access Schedule: Release 7 and Q3 Update

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, May 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

I'm hoping that these can Mostly avoided. you see the wolf running around, just avoid it. I'd hope that there are some occasional (like 1 in 30 minutes +) things that pull you in though. dragons you can't avoid, bandits, but these should be in more "dangerous" areas of the map. the hidden/invisible encounters should also be isolated.

I'd also hope that for most of these, you'll want to encounter them. If you see a wolf on the overland map, it isn't a regular wolf. it's a dire wolf or some such special wolf/wolf pack or it's a wolf under control of a sorcerer/tamer who has a special item(something useful, make the encounter worth taking sometime if you aren't too busy). that sort of thing. The wolf pack could yield double normal pelts.

Time Lord, Asclepius and Noctiflora like this.
  2. Karrolanth

Karrolanth Avatar

I'm not sure about this idea either, but I guess I'll have to wait and see how it works before deciding I hate it...! ;)

Edit in response to Mishri's reply: Some of those things I'd be okay with, although I'd rather have some sort of indication that I'm travelling through a more dangerous area where this sort of thing might happen. My main concern would be getting pulled into a PvP hex against my will, but I hope that would not be in their plans if a player wasn't flagged for PvP.

Time Lord, Asclepius and Noctiflora like this.
  3. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

:D

Guild = OK
    PvP = ???

4. Noctiflora

Noctiflora Avatar

Yeah, I'm sure it's not going to be a major issue for me and certainly not a game breaker. It's just personal likes & dislikes. In other games, (of course they don't have the overworld map), if I'm out exploring, harvesting, or hunting, it generally doesn't bother me...but when I'm just trying to get from point A to point B, maybe I'm in a hurry, maybe not, it just always annoys me no end to have to take a route where I'm having to run a gauntlet of annoying mobs picking a fight with me and delaying me. hehe. Which is why I'm very much in favor of a UO style mark/recall rune system.

But like I said, not a deal breaker and nothing I can't learn to live with. Just wouldn't be my first choice and getting sucked off the map, delaying my errand, wouldn't be my first thought when imagining a good time either. If it was left out, it wouldn't hurt my feelings a bit. :)

Time Lord and Mishri like this.
  5. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

PVP features are currently scheduled to start getting released in Release 11 but sooner if we can.

6. gtesser

gtesser Avatar

I also prefer a compass over a mini map. If we have a cloth map to look at for reference, we wouldn't need a mini map also (I hope).

Sir Cabirus and Kaisa like this.
  7. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

Thanks for posting this information! I know things are so firmly written in the New Britannian oceans right now so I'll just make a few responses to R7... I hope everyone can appreciate how unique it is to see this evolution in gaming and getting a look into game design. I'm personally loving it.

This might make life easier in some situations but really adds a huge limitation to the variations you can see in an environment... lighting is incredibly different between a "cozy" home and a workshop and a dungeon... with the same base light/shadow environment the richness of unique lighting and shadows in houses will be lost...

Suggestion: can we make these additions removable? So when I place the house the lights are automatically placed for me but I can drag'n'drop them into my inventory if I don't want them?

I would like to see a gamma slider in the game's video options... let us do some adjusting too :) Just a thought

8. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

Thanks DarkStarr,

I'll be ready in October to test the PvP. And the Pk life if possible :D

Time Lord likes this.
  9. Mitch [MGT]

Mitch [MGT] Avatar

Ha! Every time the Devs post something like this I feel like they've just presented their dissertation to the community, and we try to tear it down. Good on Darkstarr (and peers) for sticking to his/their guns and being as flexible as the project allows.

Don't Lawyer Darkstarr BRO!

Time Lord, Asclepius, Abydos and 7 others like this.
  10. DarkStarr

Yes long term we would like to make these lights removable but by at least making them turn on/off you can reset to the base value by just always leaving them off so I think framing this as a "huge limitation" might be a bit much.

11. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Any news on when we will see the new conversation interface Lum was talking about some time ago?

Time Lord likes this.
  12. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

The minimap will be really useful in towns, where you can see where certain buildings are relative to yourself. The cloth map just isn't detailed enough for that.

The "minimap" doesn't seem to be a typical MMO "outline of the area you are in", but instead a illustrated map that you can see a portion of. The map of Owl's Head was shown on one of the Pens of the Avatar.

Time Lord likes this.
  13. DarkStarr

Yes that is what our minimap system is currently being designed as. Specific illustrated maps for each scene that shows your location.

14. mike11

mike11 Avatar

64 bit support is fantastic news!

re:eek:verworld - I'm still of the belief that you guys should consider fleshing out the functionality of that thing first before devoting tons of work to making it look good. Just a thought :)

15. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

The schedule is very stimulating.

DarkStarr, your team is really creative and it's fantastic to be able to participate in all this.

Tom Up !

Time Lord, Asclepius, mike11 and 2 others like this.
  16. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

Fair enough :)

Time Lord and DarkStarr like this.
  17. Bushmaster

Bushmaster Avatar

There will still be wipes after each release so any of our loot will be gone?

Time Lord likes this.
  18. smack

smack Avatar

Awesome! Any chance you'll release these illustrated maps as images we can download separately? :)

19. Foobard

Foobard Avatar

I continue to be impressed at the work your team is doing, and that you listen to backer feedback and adjust the game accordingly.

I look forward to playing R7.

Thanks!

Kaisa, Time Lord and Asclepius like this.
  20. DarkStarr

Yes wipes will continue for a while longer

Mata, Time Lord and NRaas like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.