Early SotA Character Concept Art

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dloubet, Dec 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dloubet

dloubet Avatar

Thanks for the feedback! I discovered that you go to the new entries myself just now! :)

The next concept piece, released on Thursday, will be another full figure concept like the Explorer.

TheMadHermit and Sir Cabirus like this.
  2. CaptainJackSparrow

CaptainJackSparrow Avatar

Denis, with this crowd here might Captain Jack suggest a few things from observing the tendencies to better direct your efforts to service their needs?

1. Offer a Draw My Home service.
    We are house heavy, and we loves us some decorations. Captain Jack is getting very excited just thinking about having you draw his Ship so he can then mod SotA to include a picture of the Ship you drew in his Ship as a decoration.

2. Get very good at drawing the female buttocks.
    We guys in here, if we have to play the game and look at lumps all day long, they had best be lovely lady lumps!

2a. Hairs
    Please include in all character portraits a reference and indication to wind speed and direction so that we wind to hair sitting experts can fact check it. It breaks our immersion if hair isn't sitting just right on things like, ears, for head, other hairs, buttocks, n stuff like that.

3. Moar RPG: TPDL
    Too Punk Didn't Look? That is an issue with this community of Ultima fans, you had best include as many old school Ultima references and lore in your drawings as possible.

Captain Jack looks forward to seeing some more updates, here, there, everywhere!

TheMadHermit and dloubet like this.
  3. dloubet

dloubet Avatar

Your concerns are noted, Captain!

In addition, make sure you have the receipts for all the items in your backpacks.

There will be a surcharge for each additional strap.

And hoist the other thing!

--Denis

4. dloubet

dloubet Avatar

[​IMG]
    This early concept is big on the steampunk accoutrements. I got stuck on "electro-" for all his stuff. (I was on deadline...) I like the paper-tape output and Victrola-horn for his electro-stethoscope, and the electrically charged adrenaline in his electro-syringe.
    This guy is definitely more austere, and with a more modern sensibility than some of the other's you'll see, but that goes along with the imperialist attitude of the steampunk genres.
    My patrons had this a week ago. If you want to see advance copies of these illustrations, consider becoming a Patreon user and get advance stuff from me for as little as a dollar a month.www.patreon.com/denisloubet (Their search function doesn't find me, for some reason.)

Doctor, Spoon, smack and 8 others like this.
  5. Etheom

Etheom Avatar

Excellent work on the concept.

6. redfish

redfish Avatar

electropunk

7. dloubet

dloubet Avatar

Another Farmer concept piece from Shroud of the Avatar. I like this guy. He has the right level of casual and fantasy.
    I find it fascinating that Victorian farmers wore vests, and those little caps without a huge brim, and shoes instead of boots if the photos are to be believed.
    [​IMG]

8. dloubet

dloubet Avatar

Early Shroud of the Avatar concept for female farmer. Trying to make it feminine, and at the same time practical, and at the same time sexy. These were the concept requests I was trying to address. Oh, and medieval and steampunk! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. dloubet

dloubet Avatar

[​IMG]
    Early Shroud of the Avatar concept art for female shopkeeper. Here's where it gets weird. Sexy, Medieval, Victorian, Steampunk, Runway fashions seemed to be the request. Voila!

10. Doctor

Doctor Avatar

Most impressive.

Sir Stile Teckel and Tahru like this.
  11. dloubet

dloubet Avatar

Portalarium and Shroud of the Avatar have been very kind to me in featuring my Patreon project in their recent update! They even go out of their way to provide explanations of Patreon itself, which is a bizarrly difficult thing to do in few words.
    So go and check out my Patreon campaign, and see if there are other artists you like on Patreon!

Browncoat Jayson likes this.
  12. dloubet

dloubet Avatar

The Ultima Codex has a big article on my early character concept work for Shroud of the Avatar! So far, the comments have been kind to me.

Doctor and Browncoat Jayson like this.
  13. dloubet

dloubet Avatar

Early Shroud of the Avatar character concepts: Hunters

Variation 1 would be at home in a more mundane Wizard of Oz environment, while 2 would be more comfortable in a medieval setting. Inventing the guns was fun. V2 has a "double-barreled rail gun, while V1 has a more Tesla coil-like weapon.

Yes, Victorian hunters wore suit coats and vests. Go figure.

[​IMG]

14. Sindariya

Sindariya Avatar

I have to say you draw beautiful but I have something what I really dislike in your art. All your women wear bellyfree outfits. The farmeroutfit would look even better if it wasn't bellyfree. The same goes for the shopkeeper. Men have also phantasy and can imagine things and don't need to see everything. Sexy doesn't mean only less and less cloths.

And where are our sexy men? Why are they all so uptight?

Amber Raine, Sir Cabirus and dloubet like this.
  15. dloubet

dloubet Avatar

If left to me, I would have had everything much more straight-laced and Victorian. But one of the requirements of the concept sketches was an amount of skin visible on female characters. Mind you, as a male, I cannot say I did not enjoy drawing these female character concepts, but I did so with a twinge of principle. My view on steampunk in general is: Not enough Victorian, too much punk.

Just a warning, you're going to hate some of the others I'm going to post. ;-) But you'll like the female hunters, (next release) not a belly-button in sight.

The men are uptight because Victorian! (I know, the women should be too!)

--Denis

16. Amber Raine

Amber Raine Community Ambassador (FR)

Sir Dloubet - it is an honor to see your work. However, I must agree with Riya. I understand this is not your choice, however, this does not change our thoughts at all. For Starters - As a female, if i wore *that* in the fields to farm in.... I sure would not be getting a lot of farming done. It looks more like we should be hopping out of a genie bottle and granting wishes.

Please do not get me wrong, your art is magnificent and am thrilled to see it. Yet, there are *some* outfits, that most certainly should not be wearing such skin showing clothes.

I am happy to see more skin, I would like more skin, yet... the farmer (genie?) and the Shopkeeper? (brothel keeper?) just not right.

Would they look acceptable if they were called something differently, or if I was not thinking of going into a shop and seeing the ladies wearing that? Maybe.. would I wear it? Maybe.... do I appreciate your work? Heck yes!

I understand the men like to see the females this way, we females... wish to see the men with the same "seductiveness<?>sex appeal<?>" that is being enforced on women then! If that is going to be a thing.... then lets drop all those boundaries.. get rid of those lines.. and drop those uptight proper gents..

Again I am aware this is not all your doing. Yet, it *does* sell to women just as much as it does men.. Just saying!

[01:08] <+amber_Raine> Aye, see i have absolutely no issue with skin.... after all.. lust is a great thing brought from Chaos and not having boundaries or limits .. my argument still does not change.
    [01:06] <+amber_Raine> if it gets worse. I expect men topless and in chaps
    [01:09] <+LofHMobile> you'll have to request the topless male avatar with chaps as the next released concept art ☺
    [01:10] <+amber_Raine> I am so going to!

17. CaptainJackSparrow

CaptainJackSparrow Avatar

Not counting your IRC chat with someone breaking the IRC rules, lookin at you lynkxs, Captain Jack can count a total of 6 positive vibes and 9 negative vibes in your sentances above. Perhaps this is due to you being the advocate of chaos, or, you didn't expect anyone to count :p

You judge an artist by his trade, not by his content, for he must make a living just like everyone else! I do not know the artist here like many of you because Captain Jack wasn't exposed to Ultima like some of you have been for a long time, however Denis seems like a good artist and his trade is strong. Lets face it, the farmer is cute, Captain Jack would buy her a rum...or 10 :p

18. Amber Raine

Amber Raine Community Ambassador (FR)

Wearing that outfit, i am most certain she would not need you to buy them. She would just wiggle her nose and poof, there is your rum! Full cabin full for your enjoyment even! Have you not always wanted your own little genie ;)

Captain Jack you take me wrong then - In no way was I saying anything negative of his work - In fact I state quite happily it is good. I also know it is not "his" choice how these come out. Does not mean that I am going to step down from wanting topless males in chaps that are far less prim and proper if the ladies are going to be as such.

Sir D.loubet is an amazing talent. And, has followed to directions he was given, again stated - not his doing. As an artist myself, even if by a different means, mine text his graphics. I do understand having to earn that pay check by fulfilling the wishes of your employer... Does it mean that it should not be voiced? No, it means I shall take this chance to see if he would be willing to make the less prim and proper for grins and giggles.... and us ladies eye candy enjoyment.

As for the count - You Sir, do not cease to surprise me. ;)

19. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

The more of this original concept art I see the more I think it might have been very cool to have gone in that direction.
    And, I agree completely with Myrcello's assessment of "Spiritual Successor."

20. dloubet

dloubet Avatar

Wow! This thread got away from me! ;-)

Thank you Raine, for your kind words! I think I understand your issues, and I think you understand my restrictions. When left to my own devices, warrior women look more like this:

[​IMG]

Ronan, smack, Sindariya and 1 other person like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.