Eating Our Friends RG talked about this...

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Time Lord, May 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Montaigne

Montaigne Avatar

A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti.

2. crossbowsoda

crossbowsoda Avatar

Oh, come on! Just a taste!

A little nib!

A toe?

Well, a little bit of toe never hurt anyone...

Sent from my EVA Unit-01 using Tapatalk

3. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

This game needs to get famous for something, if that thing is cannibalism I'm cool with that

4. crossbowsoda

crossbowsoda Avatar

Is it alright if I make this my signature?

5. crossbowsoda

crossbowsoda Avatar

I am all for eating people so long as their bones can also be put to good use.

While we're on this topic: has the issue of tanning/curing human flesh been brought up? From what I understand, its leather is a distinct texture. I think that it would add to the crafting aspect (think: human flesh tomes! Bone windchimes! Hair & teeth pendants! Preserved eyeballs! )

Ugh.. To roleplay a savage again.. :)

6. Sir_Hemlock

Sir_Hemlock Avatar

7. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

Lol sure. I particularly enjoyed the ability to make jerky out of the corpses in early UO, it's too bad they patched it out. The level of chopping up bodies from memory I think was; head,skull,brain, torso,rib cage,heart,liver,intestines,kidney, Arm,jerky,leg,jerky and you could eat the jerky this or even a more detailed version of this I support.

8. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Wired Magazine
    When Ultima Online first came out, there was a wonderful interview written by Wired Magazine where the reporter was taken inside the UO World and there had interviews with the players the reporter was introduced to.
    The Reporter was first taken to a grand guild of RP Nobles, Knight's and Mages and it all smelled of a Camelot flavor there. The Reporter was taken to a PK Chaos Guild setting. There the Reporter was introduced to the Dread Lords and seemingly evils of the UO World, where all it's members were pitching fire balls at one another while the Dread Lord was telling his tales. And then there came a line from the Reporter's pen that I will never forget and was the selling point for me to buy the game for my whole family.
    As I remember, that interview went something like this;
    Then all of a sudden one of the Chaos Members threw a fire ball at me and there I was standing as a ghost, while on my computer screen the Dread Lord was shouting at his minions "You just killed the Reporter from Wired Magazine you moron!"...
    Road kill, a fitting end to my journey though Ultima Online...

More Blood and Gore Indeed Sir_Hemlock!
    Razimus, I totally agree, this game needs some very disturbing points in it to cause it to become recognized at all in the vast quantity of games there are to compete with in today's market place. "Stand Up and Get Noticed", somebody start eating somebody please! :p
    Crossbowsoda, we're all counting on the savage within players like you because "road kill would make a very nice end" to any interview done here in SotA too!
    Or I'll just have to do it myself to sell this game :confused:
    ~Time Lord~:eek:
    X

9. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I am happy that for once I'm not the first say that I find the idea to be in utterly poor taste. I personally find it utterly repulsive and don't give a hoot if RG thought it up or not. Nor do I find the slightest bit of humor in it or anything else of value.

I've asked this question before in regard to simply harvesting body parts and to date.. not one person has given a real answer. How does this benefit gameplay? Well simply put to my mind.. it doesn't. Period. It's nothing more than grotesques thrills which won't be missed. Blood and gore do not make a good game any better. This is going beyond even that.

My personal views aside I don't need to make a morality argument. The lack of gameplay value here should be enough, This isn't a survival horror game and there are plenty of folks who simply don't want this kind of thing. Shoot even Starr said he drew the line at cannibalism.

If folks want to make a case then do better than "I like".. how could it be made into beneficial gameplay? Preferably without turning people's stomachs.. (either literally or figuratively).

10. crossbowsoda

crossbowsoda Avatar

Let me give you a hand with understanding.

Eye believe that what you're saying isn't particularly hair for nose of us who hunger for a different level of emulsion!

I, toe, believe that in its curried state, the thought of cannibalism is distasteful! We simply kneed more brains for this project! But do not decompose what could otherwise be fun for those of us who want to roleplay the evil end!

I finger that if the community can plate their minds together, we could stew something up.

Everybloody needs to work at this!

Spend time with me and the others on it. I'm sure we could flesh out some ideas.

11. crossbowsoda

crossbowsoda Avatar

1) Possible crafting.
    2) Roleplay; this is one of those character-defining gray areas
    a) cultural differences that stretch our western dualistic view of morality
    b) for lack of cultural difference: desperation; can we pity the desperate?

While these are 'just two reasons,' I think that it is clear how far they could branch out.

I see no arm -- err..

I see no harm in giving it a shot. ;)

12. Fredrick FlameGrinder

Fredrick FlameGrinder Avatar

The more entropic features in the game the better, the same boring things become monotonous.

13. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Questioning a feature's gameplay value is perfectly fair to everyone. Everyone wants the best game possible and let's face it.. this doesn't bring much to the table.

Adding a feature for the sake of being able to play evil characters as an argument is like saying "I bite at roleplaying.. I need features to do it for me". This isn't about one's capacity to be evil. If it were it'd be a sad state of affairs to roleplayers. I've known RPers who played evil characters a little too well.. and yes even delving into a little cannibalism.. and they did not any support from game features do it.

Also, I would put forth that claiming any kind of fun factor here isn't going to get you anywhere as there's quite a few of us who simply cannot fathom how desecrating someone's corpse and eating it could possibly be considered "fun". But let's look at it from a practical standpoint shall we? This would basically be an evil subset of cooking. To which I will argue there is no perk you can gain here that would not already be found in cooking. All you're really left with are negatives.. and what's more they're self inflicted negatives.

Perhaps if your soul goal is to be permanently flagged for PvP as an evil murderous bastard.. but again if that's your choice you can just flag yourself and run around RPing a jerk.

14. crossbowsoda

crossbowsoda Avatar

I hope to see not only a lot of magic practices & alchemy in this game, but a lot of ACCURATE ones. Paganistic or wiccan, for example.

If I could perform a full moon ritual to a deity or demi, it would be cool to have some kind of buff visible to others (whether it actually does anything doesn't mean much to me) for having do so.

Ie., to hail Cernunnos with all the proper rituals, and simply become part Celtic green man, maybe have a flurry of leaves surround the paperdoll, maybe grow antlers... Simple aesthetics.

15. crossbowsoda

crossbowsoda Avatar

Though not much, it does bring something -- specifically roleplay, even for NPCs.

Also, crafting/decoration.

It's not at all. What you're saying is insulting.

If anything, it's this:

I roleplay a cannibal who comes off as an otherwise normal guy. I get someone to come back to my house.

Now, what's more immersive?:

A) We walk in and I whisper, " ((oh, hey, pretend there's a painted tapestry made of human flesh on the wall)) "
    B) holy crap -- there's a painted tapestry of human flesh on the wall and my host is super casual about it. Holy crap is that a bone pendulum with a skull on the end?

Again, this doesn't even have to involve PvP. It could be acquired any number of ways. This is simply a way to aid my setting, not my roleplay, and it goes for NPCs too.

I can handle my roleplay just fine.

Which is fine.. but now we have an opportunity to gain immersion from said features.

A third idea! Cooking!

3) Cooking

Again, I think that crafting aside, this is mostly an aesthetic thing so why not have it?

As far as I know, there is no nutritional value for consuming flesh. Ritualistically and alchemically, we're talking a world of possibilities.

Hell, even Elder Scrolls had it...

Again, I do not understand the hostility... Why does this community bash people who want to roleplay as they see fit? Sorry that I don't follow your Lawful Good subset, but there has to be some balance.

16. Retro

Retro Avatar

This is a highlevel of the two main reasons:
    Immersion for evil characters, plain and simple.
    Additional crafting options for evil characters

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that your not going to play and evil necromancer character or psychotic rouge like "Ramsey Snow"? and even if you are there is nothing saying you would have to go this "deep"(neither am I but I want other people to be able to...)

Just because it grosses you out doesn't mean it shouldn't be explored... just avoid that side of gameplay or turn down the "gore setting" some people are waiting for a game where they can play as a truly evil character.
    I don't want to see 1 cookiecutter version of fantasy evil in SotA, I want to see characters that are all shades of evil. (So I can hunt them down and kill them;))

Who cares what Starr "said" he also said, "DON'T Lawyer Him Bro!"

The Case: (Not just eating, using body parts in general)
    • Immersion for evil characters.
    • It would be optional gameplay, don't like it, don't do it. but don't prevent others..
    • Additional crafting options for evil characters
    • Alchemy ingredients
    • Crafting masks and disguises
    • Spell reagents (High level Death Magic)
    • Evil cooking ingredients
    • Evil crafting (i.e. bone armour, cursed items)
    • Awesome taxidermy
    • Building golems and homunculus (bonus points if we can only craft them during thunder storms, with a Tesla coil/rack device)
    • Maybe even simply because it's seen as "controversial"...
    I'm going to guess these reasons are not going to be enough for you...:)

17. crossbowsoda

crossbowsoda Avatar

THIS!! Ohh I had forgotten all of the classical horror & Lovecraftian possibilities...

And, for the last sentiment, yes: he seems morally opposed.

18. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Bowen Bloodgood, I must agree with Crossbowsoda here;

There is not enough evil represented here in SotA that I have seen and by providing a game mechanism by which to display evil, then evil just becomes words on a screen with no true evil there.
    "I can be so good, if I don't help evil be as evil as they can be" :D

Nothing is entertaining about that? .... I disagree with that assumption.
    If I were an evil cannibal, I would want to first get a PK victim (not a PvPer because they're not that tender) and then PK them, cook them whole, then raise them from the dead in their new beef jerky self, then train that necromancy beef jerky zombie to serve lunch at a table where I've invited the newly re-born victim over to share lunch with me, just so that they could be served to and possibly eat a piece of my newly found butler of their own beef jerky self.
    That's a Cannibal's Quest!

And as repulsive as that sounds, here in the gaming world we think nothing of actually looting bodies of victims;

That's something extremely repulsive, that we don't even give a second thought to doing now in our online games.
    It may not be for me, it may not be for you, but we need evil somewhere around here, or those of the want to be good, may have a very hard time achieving that when provided no contrast.
    how can I be so good, if they are not so bad? o_O
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

19. crossbowsoda

crossbowsoda Avatar

Honestly, yeah... I remember not even realizing that I could loot corpses or belongings when I first started playing UO because the thought of doing so hadn't occurred to me. It was the first game I'd played where that was an option.

That's a very enlightening point, Doc. ;)

20. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

I love the whole thing. I really missed the ability to chop up bodies and take heads when AoS went live in UO.

Body parts for display, a necklace of ears and thumbs.......making jerky out of other players.........let's make it all happen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.