Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Elven Bow

Discussion in 'Release 24 Feedback' started by Chatele, Dec 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

DISAPPOINTED with the Stretch Goal " Elven bow"....
    Elevn Bow - dmg, 6-18 - Crit-5%, Strength Bonus-Very Low

Long Bow- dmg, 6-19 - Crit-5%, Strength Bonus-Very Low
    Long bow is slightly better. But what's the difference?????? besides the 1 point more in long bow? I know once the stretch goal is met for it it will have something special to it, BUT gessh ..... can't you give it more crit then the Long Bow and more dmg ????? till then?????

2. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

I assume it's because they can't be looted. It's still a good free bow to start with. Too good and that would be the "go to" item in PvP.

If you could buy a bow in the Add-on store better than what most people could craft and have it be unlootable it would beg for people to scream "Pay-to-win".

I know your frustrated with archery but imagine if all our vanity items were better in comparison to the items we can craft or find in game. I'd rather my vanity items be ok starter items instead of destroying the crafting economy by making them too good. That or setting PvP back even more by making a division with legitimate Pay-to-Win complaints.

3. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

TY Know

4. Numa

Numa Avatar

@Chatele what kind of bow are you using now ? I may be retiring my longbow of shocking soon in favor of something better. You can have that if you need a better bow. We archers need to help each other out :)

5. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

i'd rather our vanity items be just that, vanity. skins we can use, on top of our crafted items. that would completely get rid of the 'pay to win' complaints.

Arcanoxer, 4EverLost, Chatele and 2 others like this.
  6. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

Great suggestion. Pay for the texture and allow us to apply it to existing items using the crafting skill. ESO offered it when creating gear. It certainly doesn't have to be as prolific as ESO, which required it for every crafted item, but it would be nice to apply a certain look to some wearables.

Numa and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  7. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

$20 for a skin is crazy expensive!

I do like the skin idea. Too bad those stretch goals are all so messed up with old pricing.

Ice Queen likes this.
  8. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

I understand what you all are saying, but gessh, golly, at least make it do the same dmg of the long bow one.... and if the goal is met, i do expect it to be better then the crafted ones .... but not over powering of course .... i meant better in the way of looks and maybe something special it can do that regular bows can't, and it doesn't have to have anything to do with dmg output, so no one can cry PTW...... , it could have a special bonus on it for arrow recovery and str, dex bonus or something on that line.

Ice Queen and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  9. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

I use a plain long bow.

Ice Queen likes this.
  10. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

gw2 had a good method.. let you use any item as a skin.. it destroyed the item but you changed the skin on the item you kept. i once purchased a legendary weapon in the auction house, and used that as the skin for another legendary weapon i liked better for stats based on my build... style, sometimes it is important. :)

they recently started selling small things for 5 bucks. lets hope they do that with skins too.. add and extra 5 bucks for another version that is reusable.

4EverLost, Moiseyev Trueden and Numa like this.
  11. Numa

Numa Avatar

You definitely need something better. I'll PM you once I've crafted a new bow and can let go of the old one.

4EverLost and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  12. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

I am annoyed that most pledge/add-on gear is worse than the NPC vendor gear. I understand you don't want P2W allegations that we already have to contend with, but investing money in something that not only isn't available at start of game (have to run to bank to get it) but then isn't worth taking out of the bank (except for how it looks) is a bit of a shame. I love the idea of being able to merge the selected item with a different item for functionality (I know this may make some items like the cloaks have broken functionality if used in that manner... but those few items with special abilities could be excluded).

13. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Totally agree... it makes me laugh to no end when people say stuff like "break the economy" as if there was going to be such a thing in the first place.

We're sidestepping ALL the lessons we learned from UO...

EA was also very anti-elves... it was a BIG surprise for me when I see people who say they admire tolkien and dragonlance put the elves to the state of almost animal or barbarians who you need to kill cause they're sneaky and bad spirited.

In fact I'm going to stop there because there is so much wrong and intentional obnoxiousness that I would write all day...

And they can't even make bows... so they're not only animals they are bad at making anything really. They are the gully dwarves of this realm...

Who CARES if people get a slightly overpowered bow for their money they INVEST into an unreleased game.

Really this is outrageous, anyone can log in, start a macro and become 10 TIMES more powerful than me while cheating in all impunity, and we're going to whine about a freakin elven stupid bow ?!

Ice Queen, Numa and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  14. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Regular long bows are cheap and drop from all archer mobs other than elves. Saying that it's unfair in PvP is BS because all you need to do is kill a skeleton archer and there's your bow. If it gets looted then so what, kill another skeleton archer.

Personally, I think that the stretch goal and founder bows should do the same damage as regular long bows.

15. Numa

Numa Avatar

Short bows should fire faster, be shorter range and weigh less than longbows. They should also be easier & cheaper to repair. Founder bows can use the reagent mechanic - they have a % chance to use less arrows.

It's good to be sensitive to pay2win concerns, but I"m telling everyone now that SOTA will be branded that by certain sectors no matter what we do. The bows will hardly make difference.

Miracle Dragon and Ahuaeynjgkxs like this.
  16. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

agree, agree, agree. they should also have a slight bleed effect the longbows down, but longbows should be able to knock you down from time to time if you have a full draw.
    in sheer numbers, they should do the same amount of DPS rating, if both are used perfectly.. which neither will, by design.

when grouping, i'd carry both bows. shortbow for the bleeds with bossmobs, and longbows for groups to help with crowd control. i'd even like to see some bossmobs be immune to one type of bow from time to time - like any mob with a chitinous shell shrugs off the shortbow, but gets slammed hard by longbows...

i've always been a firm believer that anything sold for real money should be vanity and functional - but only average functional, not good, and not bad. that way nothing is pay to win.. hence the skin idea.. heck, crowdsource the skin assets, set them as rare drops and store items for around 3 dollars US. let them be reusable if purchased in store, and resuable 5 times if rare drops. let it be known if you skin an item, and then RESKIN that item with a different skin, that first skin is GONE.

if that is the pricerange, and they're high quality skins, i'd probably spend upwards to 50 US for a batch of 'em... to keep in my bank for future use, cause i know i'm kinda forgetful like that.

ninja edit: oh, and bound to character on purchase/loot. - and pvp lootable.

Miracle Dragon, Ahuaeynjgkxs and Numa like this.
  17. Womby

Womby Avatar

The same is true of other pledge weapons that I've used. None are more than starting weapons.

4EverLost likes this.
  18. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

I must reluctantly agree... this game is the most unfair that I've ever seen for the single player...

From all angles it is... even for people like me who feel I cannot be a "knight commander" and not have a few perks (call it p2w all you want). I understand the need to grind to me its not that bad but its ridiculous from a roleplay point of view... and for multiple reasons because a knight without a king and subjects is what really... another universal bar code slave ?

a guy can buy a 45$ access and join a big guild and get equipped to the neck and kick my ass because he macroed his way up in 3 days. I've been playing for 3 months and this guy comes in and shows me the finger, there you go mr. Knight commander... why aren't you happy you flagged pvp and you were barely level 20, what did you expect ?

Don't tell me I'm being paradoxal, I also LOVE the lower level parts of the game, I like to be low level for a long time and really earn what I'm about to become...

We've recreated an environement that to my utmost puzzlement reproduces all the bad sides of UO and griefing, all the bad sides of EQ and all the bad sides of WoW. I of course always abstract the general art direction from my design comments.

I LOVE SotA, this is the most stable and pro release for me, all my bugs are gone and I could be having mad fun... but I can't ignore my wounds... trying to forget about these eye and mind sores that we've put into "LAW" because we didn't want to offend people...

beyond me... I'm really calling for a revolution

No way I'm exposing my future children to this kind of mess.

19. Gatsu.

Gatsu. Avatar

i hate "Pay-to-win" , very nice explanation! i hope that in future that filosophy continues.

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  20. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

the elven Stretch goal items will have additional functionality when used by the playable elven race. They are quite basic when used by humans

Themo Lock likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.