Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Encounter avoidance "fees" are WAY to high

Discussion in 'Release 55 QA Feedback Forum' started by FrostII, Jun 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

1000 gold is absurd to avoid the wasted time of an encounter.
    100 would be reasonable.

Cordelayne, Jaesun, Vermine and 6 others like this.
  2. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

I think the point is to be a bit unreasonable, since ideally you would utilize the encounter. I'd say more than 500 gold is too much; that's a whole days rent.

Aeryk, Jaesun, Lace and 1 other person like this.
  3. Kain Darkmoor

Kain Darkmoor Avatar

I can't imagine anyone is going to pay 1000 gold to avoid a minor inconvenience. The fee should be roughly the same as the cost of a recall scroll really.

Jaesun, Vermine and FrostII like this.
  4. Kaffien

Kaffien Avatar

Blue Rose Isle, Crafters Town, Black Rock Cove
    something like 100 or 150 ... maybe as high as 250? This fee should only pertain to those who can be bribed.
    Undead care not for your gold. Nor do stags, or dragons etc.

Alley Oop and Steevodeevo like this.
  5. Pounce

Pounce Avatar

Huh??? what is this fee thing about?

6. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Of the dozen or so guildies/friends that play nightly, I think there's maybe 2 who harvest encounters.
    The rest of us just want to get where we're going and to hell with the "load in - load out" boredom.
    If I wanted to harvest copper or something, I'd go to a high tier and make it worth my while.

3devious likes this.
  7. Steevodeevo

Steevodeevo Avatar

I will quite often wander the OW map seeking out encounters. Depending on type I can get quite a few Obsidian chips, especially with the wave system, a decent amount of mandrake and nightshade, a little garlic and tons of corpse wax in skelly encounters. Some gold and scrap in bandit ones and a surprising amount of gold and copper ore in all of them.

The Giant one is really good and the risk of dragons spawning in some is enjoyably tense.

The new trained wolves provide a few Obsidian carcases, but not so you'd notice, but a few hides and standard wolf carcases are aplenty.

The wandering naturalist, monk, bounty hunter is a cool addition and worth a few gold if you gather all 3 hand ins and systematically do so.

I quite enjoy farming encounters, they are instanced so unlike farming for chips in other places you can take your time.

Anyway... What I'm saying is, it's interesting you say your guild is 80% not into OW encounters, whilst I enjoy and value them, but I'm just me. I wonder if this 80% dislike of encounters is universal or whether more players either enjoy or don't mind them or are happy to just skip by them, or in future pay ransom to bypass.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
  8. Senash Kasigal

Senash Kasigal Avatar

If 1000gp is too much for you then it can not be that bad. :p

But perhaps it could be adjusted per level: 200gp / level.
    200gp T1 ..... 1000gp T5 Encounter.

btw, avoiding sieges are more costly and cant be be bypassed differently: 2000gp

Aeryk and Browncoat Jayson like this.
  9. Steevodeevo

Steevodeevo Avatar

Is this serious?

10. Senash Kasigal

Senash Kasigal Avatar

11. nonaware

nonaware Avatar

change the wording on some of the boxes and then cut the prices in half.

but I like the idea of it.

12. Echondas

Echondas Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

IMHO - this is a penalty on low-level players - but a service that would most be utilized by such.. not conducive to the NUE polish goal.

This doesn't make sense - the fee should perhaps scale w/ ALVL - anything more than the 500 gold from Oracle Welfare <tm> - is too much.

I would be very sore if I accidentally clicked one of those on a siege and lost 2k gold..

Good time to adjust the fees for the 'pass' scenes also.. also way too high for the players its meant for.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
  13. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

It was suggested in another thread that instead of gold, you burn a teleport scroll. I like that idea.

Jaesun and Echondas like this.
  14. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

So I aggroed the troll about 20 minutes ago, and that Pay 1000 Gold dialog box is still there. At one point I heard a growl, but looked up and didn't see anything. The troll probably re-aggroed and vanished again before I knew it.

I suggest that if/when you add a timer to this that you display it in the window counting down.

15. Echondas

That was me - I went in and killed them.

16. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

If you're saying what I think you're saying, good. It would be silly for someone to be able to keep the pass open by having the trolls repeatedly aggro you and ignoring them.

17. Echondas

I saw you standing in the pass and there was a troll there - he agro'd me and I valiantly fought them and won! :)

devourerofmemes, Jaesun and Elwyn like this.
  18. thradia

thradia Avatar

I agree that this is too high. I would rather see maybe 500g at the most. Mostly to make it easier for newer players to bypass them if they are hitting them and finding they can't fight through them quite yet.

Also agree with the pass fees. This seems really high and should be adjusted. I remember as a new player having to run through some of these because I could afford the safe passed and getting my ass kicked lol

Personally, I enjoy the encounters. I know a lot of people who do. And many who don't. It should be somewhat reasonable to pay to skip them for those who just want to get to their destination and not bother with them.

19. redfish

redfish Avatar

I still don't get the urgency for a mechanic like this, because its easy enough to avoid encounters. I just recently did a timed travel map here, went around Novia following all the routes, and didn't get pulled into a single encounter. I'm certainly not going to waste my gold on them.

I like the idea of bribing mobs and so on just as a matter of gameplay, so you can avoid violence as a way to deal with enemies; but I find ponying up gold just to avoid going a little out on the side of the road to be a bit silly. Is it really supposed to be a gold sink?

For people who want to avoid encounters more easily just for convenience, I think it would make sense if we had an artifact ring or something that say reduced the aggro of mobs on the overworld.

Aeryk, Senash Kasigal and Elwyn like this.
  20. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Hopefully you would get the normal spawn protection if you pay the fee.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.