Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Encumbered should stop regenerating health

Discussion in 'Release 31 Feedback Forum' started by Poor game design, Jul 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

@Chris

If you're encumbered you should stop regenerating health and focus. Solves so many problems with exploiting, macroing, etc..

2. Odyssey2001

Odyssey2001 Avatar

+1 , Makes sense

Time Lord and Leelu like this.
  3. Quenton

Quenton Avatar

No thanks?

4. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

That would be quite an anti-game feature. Not only it won't be a golden solution to solve all possible exploiting and macroing in this world, it will also discourage legitimate people from spending more time adventuring.

There is already a penalty from being overencumberanced, which that should be good enough. If everyone agrees that it is not the case, then scale up the penalty based on the weight.

Leelu, ZhugeLiang, Time Lord and 6 others like this.
  5. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Actually it would probably just make people learn to keep what they really need and dump the rest. It's the inactive players that would have a hard time managing this.

Time Lord likes this.
  6. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

That would base on the assumption that people are willing to go back and forth just get the hunting session going. Unless we no longer have any crashes during the scene load and take less than 5 seconds to load the scene, people will be more likely to spend less time on the adventure zones and interact with other players since those time will be taken off to dump the loot and come back. They might just take a break from the hunt altogether after they max out their weight.

And what exactly are people trying to learn here? Like whether they should dump a rusty axe or a rusty longsword?

Leelu and Time Lord like this.
  7. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Wtb pack animals ;)

Leelu, SeleneNoctua, Spoon and 5 others like this.
  8. Womby

Womby Avatar

I'm not a fan of having broad restrictions imposed to "solve" specific problems. Especially when they are minimally effective. The bot could bypass this by periodically transferring items to an unassailable alt perched on a rock.

If the intent is to defeat macros and bots, then the answer is to:
    1. Make the environment unpredictable - random resource spawn points, dynamic mob variation, etc. A lot of that is already in game.
    2. Get rid of things like TAB targeting - shift/click requires a human to aim the cursor, TAB targeting does not

Leelu, SmokerKGB, Time Lord and 2 others like this.
  9. Odyssey2001

Odyssey2001 Avatar

Thats what I do actually, I have a limit and once I am there I stop and unload, ( usually teleport to a friend/guild member or just recall back) I invested in the "Heavy Lifter" skill Too.

Although this is a game it does make sense as in RL if one were carrying more than they normally can then they would probably not be able to focus properly nor regenerate either.

This makes more sense to me than Obsidian wolves and bears running away like scared kittens at the site of an avatar !!!

Time Lord and Fister Magee like this.
  10. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

there's already a focus drain when you're encumbered high enough.

Leelu, FrostII, Time Lord and 4 others like this.
  11. agra

agra Avatar

Nope. Don't like it. Please do not put this in the game.

Leelu, Dariog, Time Lord and 3 others like this.
  12. Damian Killingsworth

Damian Killingsworth Avatar

agree 100%. This will be critical for looting during PvP mega battles.

Leelu and Time Lord like this.
  13. Senash Kasigal

Senash Kasigal Avatar

I do not like it.
    Focus drain while moving is enough.

Senash on Tour, send with
    Tapatalk on Windows Phone 930

Leelu, agra, Time Lord and 2 others like this.
  14. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

:eek:~Carrying Too Much Stuff For Too Long Can Kill You~o_O
    [​IMG]
    I saw a guy die right in front of me because he just wouldn't quit trying to get this little trinket.

I believe health should reduce "very slowly" if a player doesn't stop and heal themselves before continuing.
    ~Time Lord~o_O

Leelu and kbruder like this.
  15. Womby

Womby Avatar

If game mechanics are too punishing we will end up with too few players to support ongoing development of the game. If you want to introduce a mechanic that discourages or prevents behaviour that is not permitted, it should have no impact on those who play the game legitimately. That is why we still have a form of TAB targeting, despite the fact that it makes macros much easier. (Personally I'd be happy if they got rid of it and everyone used shift/click, but too many people are wedded to the old way of doing things.)

There is usually an alternative way of achieving desired goals - one that has no impact on people who have a different but perfectly legitimate play style. Making resource locations and mob behaviour unpredictable is an example of doing it the right way.

As for the OP, if you are encumbered you already drain focus the moment you move. That is in the game right now. You also cannot use fast travel scrolls. There are many legitimate reasons why someone may find themselves encumbered. Draining health as well in those situations is in my opinion unnecessarily punitive.

16. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

I think there's wisdom in what Womby says here... o_O
    I personally go out and sometimes will stay until my Avatar can barely move, which does serve the purpose of the OP, because as an Avatar slows, it then becomes more vulnerable to attack.
    [​IMG]
    ~TL~;)

Leelu, Ice Queen and Womby like this.
  17. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

What's with always wanting to penalize people with Sota? The way it is currently is fine. I'd rather the devs come up with ways to reward players for playing the game in different ways and make it funner to play longterm instead of asking for more things to penalize us with. There's already so much tediousness with the game already. :(

18. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Alas, I would not vote for this either.

As is, the game presents the player with a balanced risk: Be encumbered but run slower and not regain focus because of it. This is good trade off in PVP and dangerous critter territories for the over-encumbered.

The approach in the opening post would tip the risk scale to a silly (and frustrating) extreme by also disabling a player from regaining health. To put it in perspective, imagine surviving one battle when encumbered, standing there for a few minutes with very little health and no health regen after that battle, and then having a baby alligator come up and bite you in the rear end, slaying you in one blow. Then have it happen 100 times in the course of a gaming. Who here wants to sign up for that?

I doubt few would find that fun. If the game had that system, instead of taking the risk of dying many stupid, frustrating deaths like that, players would just avoid being encumbered all together. And if that was the case, why have an encumbrance system at all? Effectively that is what would happen as players felt that they had to avoid encumbrance to take a stupid, foolish risk, vs. one that they could make more balanced risk decisions on based on the scenario.

The best games allow meaningful choice. Seems like the proposal in the opening post would reduce meaningful choice.

Its hard to agree to reduce this basic, balanced game play choice to address macro or exploit issues. If those are problems, address those problems directly.

19. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Then everyone would be required to spec in life tree or carry pots. I think the slow move and not being able to port are the right ways to go.

Leelu, Time Lord and Ice Queen like this.
  20. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

I agree...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.