1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Encumbrance Changes (R35)

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Berek, Oct 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redfish

redfish Avatar

Yea, that would help, although I wasn't talking icon variations, but actually showing bags build up on your character.

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  2. Numa

Numa Avatar

They"re important now - what used to be just an amusement is now a critical tool for travelling.

3. Numa

Numa Avatar

...and these in fit flying form after :)

[​IMG]

lollie and majoria70 like this.
  4. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

Well, variations or brand new icons, it would take time for them to make the art. On the other hand, they already have the wipe effects for the timing. Perhaps it would be easier to just use that for the encumbrance to show how far along you are before trouble.

5. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

Drats... my underground book thieving ring is going to be devastated by this change! :D

Moiseyev Trueden and Stahlknecht like this.
  6. Candor Atlantica

Candor Atlantica Avatar

@DarkStarr I don't see it mentioned in the thread, but I wanted to point out something you should be aware of. Being over encumbered should have some effects on one, however; it shouldn't make it impossible to move through places like Eastreach Gap, Vauban Pass, etc. We should be able to carry a substantial amount of resources from the area that was mined, to our towns or homes that are elsewhere on the map. To make the conditions so miserable that it would take hours to get things from one place to the next is not reasonable. I carried 2000 Iron ore from Solania to Port Graff at the slowest speed possible. It took upwards of 25 minutes to do that. Eastreach Gap wasn't too bad. You have the option of paying 1500 gold to get through it, however; Vauban Pass was a nightmare. You will not get through that alive being encumbered. So I try to get through as a ghost, which you will discover while following the road, you will resurrect before you get to the Ankh. You then have to start all over from the beginning and find a shorter path through the terrain. Yet, you will have to do it as a ghost again. I dont' understand why you don't have an NPC guide in Vauban Pass like you do in Eastreach Gap. I think it is definitely needed as a "goldsink" for sure. You should have them at every pass, but I don't agree on the cost. I think it would be a better sink if the price was lowered a bit, or perhaps scaled depending on your character level. If 2000 iron ore is too much for one player to move around the map and this encumber rule is in place for guys like me. Then I get it, I will have to adapt, but I thought the rule was for guys moving 10000, 20000, or more around at will.

7. Yakamo LLTS

Yakamo LLTS Avatar

Traveling from 1 point to the other point of the map, solely by land, is the fastest of any game I have ever played. This does not concern me one bit. The most important thing about this game is knowledge and if you have a physical map of sota in your head, the amount of time you cut off with travel, is amazing.

One thing though. In Pvp, Heavy Earth users will have a lot more safety when it comes to loosing their precious items. Going into pvp with 700 weight and like 300 shoddy bows.

8. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

You mean a perception of a virtual map in your head.

9. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

In Brooklyn, we got "Man with a Van" and you will seriously see this van many times a summer all over the place.

I think it should be intentional that if youre trying to fight, but are encumbered, your fighting ability is hindered. What do you value more, your ore/hides/broken shoddy bows, or your life?

I, in fact, quasi roleplay my super agile warrior by never allowing encumberance outside of a town. Nothing comes before fighting at maximum capacity. Its my choice. I also have high strength and a decent amount of heavy lifter. I have never experienced 2x encumberance while adventuring/gathering, and I feel like I get a great yield each time I return to town. I do things like this to see how well I can actually RP this sort of thing once the game is officially launched, and as for now, I have no problem with my frequency of adventuring/return-to-town. I think its reasonable for everyone, even noobs.

I think its nothing so complex that a completely new player couldnt adjust to quickly. Besides, 1 skull zones are often very close to town, and are often small zones. A new player doesnt have a far walk to go sell. As the game develops, most POTs will have easily accessible NPCs to sell to as well, making this even easier. I think, at the beginning of their game, most players will be following quests and the relatively huge rewards they give (at newbie level) compared to trying to min/max income out resource gathering and adventuring. By the time theyre getting less of a return on the starter quests, theyve likely got enough exp and gold to buy/train +str and heavy lifter skills.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
  10. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

I hope this thread will continue for feedback after R35 goes live tomorrow....

11. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Never mind :oops:

Moiseyev Trueden and FrostII like this.
  12. Woftam

Woftam Avatar

I want to discuss the latest encumbrance changes but they relate to Dev+ with the latest QA build.. can I post here?

FrostII likes this.
  13. Yakamo LLTS

Yakamo LLTS Avatar

No I mean a physical map. I create matter when I want to.

14. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

You can now.

15. Woftam

Woftam Avatar

And i shall! I am against the idea of blink not working while encumbered. If I have the focus and I have the spell reagents, then I should be able to blink!! I feel like the next step in slowing my avatar down, could be to remove one of my legs and I'll hop across the various scenes.

16. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

You could still bite their kneecaps off.

17. Syznow

Syznow Avatar

It's all a plot by the Obsidian Illuminati to get you to buy their potions.

18. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

The sad thing, this is probably more to do with it than anything else. 8^p

19. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

See ITYS

Another system in the game that was started way to easy and gave players things that where so easy and abused that when you try and do it right after the fact you get all this negative feedback.

Perhaps . . . . . to late already started with pussyfooting all over the game now making it right is impossible.

20. Syznow

Syznow Avatar

Oh, I don't oppose the encumbrance changes. However they do need to finish adjusting everything to make this feel right. I still don't understand why I can take a full load of ore to smelt and then end up encumbered afterward because the ingots weigh more than the 4 ores they were crafted from. While they are changing encumbrance I think they would get fewer complaints if they also made a priority of fixing existing things like these nonsense weight values and not just creating new restraints. I really would love to keep ingots in my bank rather than ore, but I have to choose... 4 ores vs 1 into or 0.8 weight vs 1 weight. Either way I lose.. condensing to a single item doesn't help me since it also increases my weight. So encumbrance changes still need more work. All this is even more annoying since auto stacking still doesn't work.

LoneStranger likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.