Enemy Behavior Suggestion - Spawning - More like Reinforcements

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by GreyMouser Skye, Oct 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GreyMouser Skye

GreyMouser Skye Avatar

In reference to @DarkStarr 's priority list as such:
    On this, I wish to address and add suggestions for the behavior of Spawning.
    {Note, I am in the camp that favors things being harder but fair for both avatars and mobs, not easier!}

Currently:
    1. Spawn locations of the enemy have zero dependency on the location of avatars.
    2. Spawn timers are based off of kill time (with some accelerated timing based on loot time).
    3. Spawn amounts do not change from the initial allocation of assigned mobs.

My perceived Troubles:
    1. Spawning behind an avatar who is actively fighting (not fair to avatars). [Stealth is ok, see below]
    2. Spawning times that are spaced out allow avatars to concentrate on one mob at a time (not fair to mobs).
    3. Always the same amount of reinforcements, allows easy farming (not fair to mobs).
    4. Planned retreats are not possible when mobs spawn right near where they were killed due to a timer that does not account for avatar locations. (not fair to avatars)

My Solutions:
    1. Setup Zones of spawn areas where avatar positions are referenced for rough calculations as to a good spawn spot. This is done all the time in FPS shooters, sometimes better than others, but it is not new tech or math. This mechanic allows for the immersive feel that mobs are not simply being spawned from nowhere, but they are actually reinforcements coming to kick those pesky avatar behinds.
    A. Avatars like to cheat, if they figure out the Zone then they might spread themselves out to cover these Zones, and continue to farm. See solution 2 and 3 to combat this.

2. Use a floating value spawn timer that allows mobs to spawn in a group. For instance, if you kill/loot 3 mobs spaced 9 seconds apart, and the floating value is +/- 20s, then these 3 mobs should all respawn as a group at the same time. Spawning as a group is the best defense to constant mob farming.

3. If mobs are constantly being overwhelmed, either increase the reinforcements (in a group respawn at a distance somewhat away from the population center of the avatars, yet within the zone) or make them increase in tiers. Sounds a little like the control points so the mechanic again is already there, just need to make it fit the local scene (and the zone).
    A. As low level avatars may be around in a low tier zone now with higher tier mobs, I can see two options. 1) Large aggro on the high level characters first, gives low level avatars time to split. If they help then game on! 2) There needs to be a timer that tells the reinforcements to leave when things quiet down.
    4. Stealth is welcome! So maybe the thugs and especially the rogues know the stealth skill. They can spawn camouflaged, use night step, use stealth walk (forget the skill name), and yes... sneak attack you from behind if you do not spot them! But they should follow the same rules that make them more like reinforcements, not just appearing out of thin air.

5. No Zone should include the Ankhs. These should be small sanctuaries (an exclusion zone) which not only allows a bit of peace for the avatar, but it also balances the fairness to the mobs. I do not want them spawning out of thin air right behind me, so why should I be able to spawn out of thin air behind them? Obviously resurrect is not spawning, it is a skill/magic and does not fit this rule. I know Cabalists currently do not obey any sanctuary rules in sieges, but maybe that special case is OK.

I will restate that I wish to suggest balance and fairness for the combat, BOTH for the avatars and the mobs. Avatars reinforcing from the Ankhs, mobs reinforcing from a calculated distance away from the centroid of the avatar density (easy calc for solo, that is for sure), and the mobs reinforcing in groups with the potential to reinforce in big groups or with bigger friends or both.

I. Solo instances having no respawn is something I like as well but will not mention in my list.
    II. Always open to better suggestions, just do not blatantly say that I want things to be easier because if you read this you will find that I want things to both be harder to do AND be harder to farm.
    III. I am not saying, "hey it should be easier for a solo player". No way. However, I should be able to realize when I am up against too much and be able to retreat. Seeing extra forces run in ahead tells me I am outmatched. If the enemy ran around and cut off my retreat, bravo!, that is a good AI as long as they actually moved there. Happy to be killed if I am outmaneuvered by good immersive mob tactics. Also, running back through another zone that is already repopulated is my bad luck. See an Ankh, good for the soul. :)
    IV. Would love actual dev feedback, even if just a "meh" or "we are already way ahead of you". Thank you, @Chris @BurningToad @Lord British @Attenwood @Lum the Mad etc.
    V. I will gladly edit for more clarity or to add great feedback that fits. GreyMouser Skye

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
  2. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

There's much to like here. One of my biggest complaints is watching things I've cleared respawn right in front of me. I do think I have a problem with point 3, If someone low level ends up in a low level zone that a high level person happens to be in (for whatever reason), they could get hit by a mob-pack that is greatly above their capability, despite it being a zones that's really supposed to be dedicated for them.

I'm not sure I know what to make of 5. I think you mean that there should be an exclusion zone around the ankh that Mobs won't enter (that particular point, is supposed to already be the case, I thought). If so, that's reasonable.

3. GreyMouser Skye

GreyMouser Skye Avatar

Good point. I'll add something. Thanks.
    As for 5, you are correct. I might restate it better.

Tiina Onir likes this.
  4. GreyMouser Skye

GreyMouser Skye Avatar

Oh yeah, and there should be an RNG roll to see if your avatar dies the true death, maybe 1 per million chance.

I forget that if you do not write something controversial then the thread never gets traffic in the 'new posts' portion. And likely no dev attention even if most people like the idea.

5. GreyMouser Skye

GreyMouser Skye Avatar

I do not believe this post actually got a reading. I tried to bring it up in the telethon but the question was not understood. This is feedback toward the Top 10 priorities, not a bug.
    Would you please give a quick scan?
    @Lord British @Chris @DarkStarr

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.