Ep.2 and development decisions opinions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by oplek, May 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Forum Name

Forum Name Avatar

Those Lord of the Isle bundles aren't going to sell themselves. So design and build out houses to sell those, or tout quest revamps that Port doesn't seem to think will bring people. Port needs that Lord bundle money now, so...

If they really are committed to quests and think it will help revitalize the game, you would think they would outline the overhaul that is planned - aren't we approaching six months until Ep 2 release? Sorry to be doom and gloomy, but man, they should really think about showing or better discussing Ep 2 content lest more and more people question if it even a reality. In an article or post so people can logically see the information, not just fish around in Chris' stream. And a bundle house doesn't count, btw.

Amelli, arcdevil and Xandra7 like this.
  2. Almar

Almar Avatar

Wasn't originally.

3. oplek

oplek Avatar

Then that's (yet another) mistake. New players are bound to start with episode 1. They already go over the NPE over and over, but this is exempt? I swear they're trying to make the game fail.

4. Leinad Laurelwreath

Leinad Laurelwreath Avatar

Well, you follow the livestreams so you probably have more information. What has been done in terms of story, land mass or quests for Episode 2?

I also missed this one, and i remember i asked specifically that question and got unanswered. Again something said in the livestreams? Source?

Cordelayne, Amelli and arcdevil like this.
  5. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

There has been planning, deciding against numerous scenes and focusing on quality of scenes over quantity, work on NPC spawning and AI to allow adding of large numbers of NPCs to very large scenes in preparation for the new ladmasses, and a discussion on how to handle the Episode 2 transition for in-game characters that ended in a decision to do something more along the lines of just make episode 2 content harder (like most games do).

Sannio has been meticulously focusing on episode 1 quests currently and afaik has not begun work on quests for episode 2.

Richard Garriot and Tracy Hickman have been working on the novel that corresponds with episode 2.

Chris has begun going through some of the most desired things which is skills balances, new systems for improving loot, playtesting, more end-game content, and prioritizing gameplay BEFORE story/immersion, which are all things players have requested heavily.
    ^(the obsidian shards placable in non-pvp towns is the most blatant example ive seen of this so far)

You, amongst others, do personally agree that episode 2 should continue to be gradually chipped away at while prioritizing fixing what can be fixed with episode 1, which is what is happening. Some folks won't have the foresight to understand that episode 2 would very likely be delayed because of this, others will cry wolf and try to present its abandonment as fact.

I will say that I only know what ive seen/heard, and I do have a heavy interest in keeping up with information however it is presented. But keep in mind that I haven't heard everything, and chris mentions doing a lot of programming work off-stream that he "doesn't want you to see". Second ninja edit \o/

Last edited: May 22, 2019
  6. Scanphor

Scanphor Avatar

There's always been a secondary market in game for store items for in game gold - but moving the store into the game for COTOs made it a whole lot easier to get pretty much anything for gold

Gravidy, Almar and Astirian like this.
  7. Thwip

Thwip Avatar

I really appreciate you posting information from the streams here. You have been doing alot of it, and it is very helpful. Good job, and thank you! :)

8. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Well, they could spend the next couple years replacing all the quests or they can fix the issues with the current quest (which they are doing) and use the new system for any new quests.

9. Leinad Laurelwreath

Leinad Laurelwreath Avatar

Well! Thanks for all the info @Arkah EMPstrike it seems you're now the source of information.

What you say sounds reasonable, just some general planning has been done and indeed there will be a delay AND a reduced scope for Ep2 (less scenes, quests, story)... which is fine for me.

I'd just wish the Devs would communicate this properly and gave us a realistic estimates of what's the roadmap for this year and Ep2 (next year for sure)

Astirian likes this.
  10. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

;)

[​IMG]

11. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

https://clips.twitch.tv/NaiveBitterBeanSpicyBoy

Been playing this game since Release 5 and I still felt lost in the Battle of Solace Bridge. Imagine new players getting lost, annoyed and quitting at the very start of the game

Time Lord, Amelli and arcdevil like this.
  12. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

I would really rather they ignored anyone pressuring for a quick episode 2 release and fixed the framework in 1, quests, raids, obsidian trials, etc. Then use that quality tech to build episode 2.

If quests in 2 are built on the same system...

If quests in 1 stay on the same system...

Fail in both cases. Finish the last 20% (and rip out the rotten quest system) before moving on.

13. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

So far with my new Bludgeon Dude, new character, have not come across any broken quests yet (I thought one was broken, but that was my own stupidity... :oops: ).

Mac also yesterday played through most all the quests and found them all working fine (with his new alt).

No stuck journal entries or blue sparkles everywhere. All cleaned up and working great!

Now, with my older first character, Anpu,...... blue sparkles everywhere and a few stuck journal entries.... this problem is even worse for much older accounts.

There’s the ONE TIME quest reset, but if you previously already used it......

14. Innascual Inch

Innascual Inch Avatar

Agreed! Thank you Arkah.

Astirian likes this.
  15. Astirian

Astirian Avatar

Fantastic post, thank you. :)

Time Lord and Cordelayne like this.
  16. Lars vonDrachental

Lars vonDrachental Avatar

Well like nearly everything in SotA also housing is what you make of it. There are several recipes to craft your own house, some houses you get as reward, other you can buy from NPCs but of course the most are available at the shop or at avatar vendors.
    The same goes for decorations but I think the most rare decorations are still the quest rewards as you have to do the quest to gain them and often they are more outstanding than cash shop items.
    Also a slowly enlarging house is possible in SotA. You can start with the row or village deed you get for free by completing quests. Later you can upgrade your deed with Cotos you can buy for gold or just use the Cotos you find while playing the game.
    I’m quite sure if you are just using what you find ingame to decorate and enlarge your house it will feel quite alike to your memories of UO and might even take the same time to create...all you have to do is not to rush yourself just because others do it different and if you seek something aside of dance parties the audience is simply smaller but if you start searching I'm sure you will find it. ;)

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  17. rebbieforever

rebbieforever Avatar

Always wondered what happened if you finished all paths and reset the quests thought the character login menu?

18. Pawz

Pawz Avatar

So because one dev shows off a new house (not the dev that works on quests btw) you assume no one is working on other parts of the game?

19. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

ALL quest items are removed. You start on the world map. You then receive one quest in your task list and journal: Speak to Arabella.

Edit: you also get to go through all 3 of the “Battle of” Highvale, Blood River and Solace Bridge. This is perfect for testing the 3 starting areas while in QA.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  20. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

(Honestly, I prefer the crafted houses over the fancy immersion-breaking ones that look completely out of place almost everywhere...)

Time Lord, Gravidy, arcdevil and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.