Epic Astrology

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Acrylic 300, Apr 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Acrylic 300

Acrylic 300 Avatar

I propose that we put RG's complex "webbing" skills to good use in a way that gives everyone what they want (and don't want).

Admittedly I never really understood the cosmos in any of the Ultima games. I was fascinated knowing that the world was part of a larger universe, but at times would forget it even existed.

My proposal is to bring more attention to this unique part of the game by not only having it dictate rift travel as it already does, but also have it govern the player's differences.

Make the player's look to the sky and know it's time to harvest or time to run, depending on what side of the fence they are on.

I think this would be a way to give all the players what they want. Just not at the same time.

2. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

I expect big things from this. This was an essential part of DragonLance and obviously present in Ultima as well. You could easily map those three moons to something like truth, love, and courage in Ultima and see how spells might wax and wane tie the moons. The stars were part of the books / game as well.

3. Acrylic 300

Acrylic 300 Avatar

@PrimeRib
    Good point, I forgot about the importance this had in Dragonlance.

It would be fair if there was a time for everything. Take perma-death for example: I'm dead set against it, but if 1 out of 20,000 players wanted it, I would not complain if the cosmos lined up to allow a 1 in 20,000 chance of perma-death.

If an NPC prophecy gave some kind of warning about it, then the chances might be nil and I would damn sure be paying attention to the cosmos.

With the more common player differences like non-consensual PvP and Full Loot, paying attention to the astrology or listening to a seer would also be paramount.

Back to your point on magic. The magic protection that the cosmos has to offer should wax and wane to allow a time or season for every activity under the heavens.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.