[EVENT] Multistage Global Gustball Competition (CONCLUDED)

Discussion in 'Recurring Player Events' started by Andrew Silverston, Sep 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andrew Silverston

Andrew Silverston Avatar

October 22nd, Last Round of GGC contest series in Silverston town. - 1st place - $50 SOTA store credit
    GGC - is not a traditional game of "soccer" in SOTA. It's a unique game with it's own rules.

[​IMG]
    ------------------------------------------
    :eek: Global Gustball Competition :eek:
    ------------------------------------------

! Please read rules and penalties sections very carefully to avoid any frustration !
    Event description:

"Seekers of Virtue" and Silverston town (Access through Wagon in KINGSPORT) are pleased to announce the beginning of GGC events and invite all Novia adventurers to participate in a unique series of none-PvP contests. These contests will take place during the next several weeks on a special course that will be specifically and individually designed for every stage of this competition. Participants will be able to enjoy a great company of competitors, fun and engaging game and welcoming atmosphere of the town. We will be adjusting this post as needed for any adjustments.

[​IMG]

General Participation Rules: These are none-PvP events. No weapons or personal gustballs are allowed during any stages of the Competition. Only the usage of a gustball summoned by the referee is allowed. Only usage of a Gust spell and Light Spell is allowed during any stages of the game. Landing a gustball behind the course boundaries will result in participant to start from the beginning of the course.

To promote a fair gameplay, referee may make a specific rule on the go. All the rules made by the referee, have to be followed until the end of the stage. Referee will inform all the participants and the spectators about the rules, before the stage starts.

Participation Penalties: If any spells are used by the participants other than a Gust spell or Light spell, they are automatically disqualified and become ineligible to receive a reward, as well as enter any further stages of the Competition. Spectators are not allowed to move behind the fence. If any spectator from the crowd would in any way try to affect or hinder the game, they will be banned from the town without any notice, until the end of the entire competition and the stage will be restarted.

General Game Rules:
    The walls of the course are transparent for a gustball, there are some issues however, then the ball gets stuck on a ground (referee will stop time after few attempts participant makes to move the ball). So if you overshoot, the ball will drop out and you'll gain 5 seconds of penalty time, as well as have to start from the beginning of the course again.

[​IMG]
    If you want to be successful - always keep the ball within the course boundaries, advance carefully and calculate where the ball will land every time you cast a spell. The ball will land usually the same direction that player is facing at the time the spell is cast. You can't control how far or how close the ball flies. It's always the same, so it's easy to aim and calculate. Train before you come to the competition and you'll be successful!

GGC Team.

==========================================================
    Description of the stages:

Round 1
    - September 24th, 8PM EST. Preliminary stage. (FINISHED)
    This stage will require participants to run the ball through the obstacle course. Every participant will be timed and the one who pushes the ball from the beginning to the end of the course the fastest, will win the game. First 3 winners will receive a reward.

Rewards:
    - 1st place - $10 SOTA store credit (Vladamir Begemot)
    - 2nd place - 2000g (Natasha Ultara)
    - 3rd place - 10 recall scrolls + free entry into Round 2 (One Zero)

Youtube stream of the event stage:

Round 2 - October 1st, 8PM EST. Intermediate stage. (FINISHED)
    This stage will require participants to run the ball through the more complicated obstacle course. Every participant will be timed and the one who pushes the ball from the beginning to the end of the course the fastest, will win the game. First 3 fastest winners will receive a reward.

Rewards:
    - 1st place - $15 SOTA store credit (Kaos Portis)
    - 2nd place - 6000 gp (Kor)
    - 3rd place - 20 silver ingots + free entry into next round (Vladamir Begemot)

Youtube stream of Round 2:

SUB-ROUND (had to play a sub-round, since only 2 participants showed) (FINISHED)

Kaos Porthis versus Vladamir Begemot
    4 : 0

Kaos won 10.000 gold.

Stream recording

Round 3 - October 15th, 8PM EST. Semi-Final stage. (FINISHED)
    This stage will require 2 participants. They will meet in the middle of the course, then run the ball through the obstacles, while playing the ball against each other. Participants will require to deliver the ball through the finishing point of the opposite side. The participant who will accomplish this first, will win the game. First 3 fastest winners will receive a reward.

Rewards:
    - 1st place - $25 SOTA store credit (Kaos Porthis)
    - 2nd place - 10.000g (Vladamir Begemot)
    - 3rd place - 25 iron ingots + free entry into Round 4 (Valdus Moondust)

Round 4 - October 22th, 8PM EST. Final stage. (FINISHED)
    This stage will require significant skill with a Gust spell and a gustball. It will require 2 participants and will take place on a multi-level course. Participants will meet in the middle of the course and will have to play the ball against each other, while navigating it through the multi-level maze like course. Participants will require to deliver the ball through the finishing point of the opposite side. The participant who will accomplish this first, will win the game. First 3 fastest winners will receive a reward and 1st place winner Will be deemed as Global Gustball Competition Champion!

Rewards:
    - 1st place - $50 SOTA store credit (Kaos Porthis)
    - 2nd place - 20.000g (Valdus Moondust)
    - 3rd place - 100 Gold ore (Vladamir Begemot)

Stream recording

Winners of the Competition

[​IMG]

If you have any questions, please get in touch with Andrew Silverston, Natasha Ultara or Xato, or post your questions below.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
    Vyrin, Lace, Duke Avery and 5 others like this.
  2. Andrew Silverston

Andrew Silverston Avatar

Rescheduled to start on 24th, due to short notice and inability to expose the event to majority of avatars.

Berek likes this.
  3. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Super fun idea, can't wait to watch the event this weekend!

4. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Can we have the ref check and make sure that the Gustball is inflated properly before the match?

Lazarus Long likes this.
  5. Andrew Silverston

Andrew Silverston Avatar

Yes, sir. Only the best quality Guastballs will be used in this multi-week event. We have placed a special order of laced balls with Jabulani and expect the delivery any day. :)

6. Lace

Lace Avatar

Hey sweetie just to give you a head's up on things I have encountered on my putt putt golf courses is add some rules in when the ball gets stuck on an obstacle. Not sure how your course looks but sometimes these things get stuck on a blade of grass for no reason.

7. Andrew Silverston

Andrew Silverston Avatar

Thanks for a heads up. Referee will re-summon the ball in that case.

8. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

Don't forget to stream and archive the competition!

9. Andrew Silverston

Andrew Silverston Avatar

Great idea! Will do!

10. Natasha Ultara

Natasha Ultara Avatar

This will be a really fun time! Can not wait!

11. Andrew Silverston

Andrew Silverston Avatar

You know, Lace, I just thought of something... Maybe those were rare procs, when the ball got STUNNED! :D

12. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

13. Andrew Silverston

Andrew Silverston Avatar

That's a new great title. I've asked if Port can make a custom title to assign to a player who wins the last stage of this competition, but they said it might not be possible.

14. Andrew Silverston

Andrew Silverston Avatar

Thank you all participants and spectators. Round 1 was a success. I've updated the main topic with a Youtube stream from the event.

15. Justyn

Justyn Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

Future Rounds have been added to the Avatars Circle calendar.

16. Natasha Ultara

Natasha Ultara Avatar

I'm WINNING round two. You dust bunnies don't stand a chance! :)
    I do have a suggestion for future events maybe longer courses, and "check points" if you make it to a check point but after that your ball goes out of bounds, then you restart at the nearest check point!

Vladamir Begemot likes this.
  17. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Wonderful event! I look forward to next weekend. If I had bells, I'd be there with them on!

I'm glad you got the kinks worked out fairly quickly. My advice: playtest before we show up! :D

Also, you should write into the rules about balls on the fence, and if we can go outside.

Nice crowd, good job with the streaming, and rolling with the punches. I can see this being a new sport!

18. Andrew Silverston

Andrew Silverston Avatar

Thank you much!

19. Andrew Silverston

Andrew Silverston Avatar

Natasha, sounds like a good idea about the checkpoints and a longer course. Second stage of each type will be longer and more complicated. So this Saturday, will be a more difficult and a longer course than last one. Next stage after that will be 2 players going against each other from the opposite sides, and the stage after that will be again longer and more complicated. I'll add the checkpoints to these more difficult stages.

20. Andrew Silverston

Andrew Silverston Avatar

Thank you for participating Vlad, and congrats on first place! :) Yeah, I'll polish the rules some. I didn't mention anything about the gustball ON the walls because in most cases it is fine as long as you can advance and continue keeping the Gustball inside the course. Main rule is to be precise and plan the gustball advance across the course. As long as you can keep it within the boundaries - anything goes... well, anything except probably getting behind the walls yourself. I wasn't expecting that some people would glitch out of the course :D. So I'll adjust the rules. it was a good first try. You guys learned how exciting a little game like that can be, and I've learned how to improve the course and rules, thanks to you all's participation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.