Everyone's thoughts on forcing PVE players into Open PVP areas along the main storyline.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by twofoldsilence, Jul 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. twofoldsilence

twofoldsilence Avatar

Being primarily a PVE player I was wondering if I was the only one that finds being forced into Open PVP areas along the main storyline disappointing, as I thought I was supposed to be able to play SotA my way, yet my way isn't PVP, and I can't finish the main storyline without entering PVP areas. Why can't all storyline areas remain PVE? Especially, since any player can flag as Open PVP and fight other PVP players in every area including non PVP areas? Also, there is more then enough adventure scenes on Novia where the developers could create PVP areas outside of the main storyline like they did with Blood Bay. I know, I know. If I don't want to have to deal with Open PVP areas just play offline mode, single player online mode, or even friends mode, if I didn't inadvertently be-friend a PVP player, but why should I have to do that; isn't there more then enough cloned areas currently in game that could be un-cloned into PVP areas, and as I already said PVP players merely have to flag Open PVP in order to gank each other anywhere in all of Novia.

2. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

My guess since theres a thread about this every week, is no your not the only one.

Honestly? Even with a really large pop.. pvp will be consolidated in other places..and the chances of actusl pvp encounter when questing would be minimal at best.

Personally, they hav pretty lookin pvp zones.. might as well use em for quests.

Dont think its really as dangerous as people like to act. Especially with the ransom preventing any real dmg.

scorpius2, Nev, Numa and 2 others like this.
  3. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Now you will hear for sure that this is not "forcing" as there are other ways to those areas BUT

1. Even after talking about this for MONTHS the devs have not yet included hints or dialogue in which we are told (directly in the game) about those other ways.

2. The other way to those zones is always the underground tunnel. A very cheap, redundant, uninspired, not very creative and a very uninteresting way of shoving those not interested in PVP out of the way.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
    Dantuin, Rennik, Ice Queen and 12 others like this.
  4. Trihugger

Trihugger Avatar

These scenes are so cool and have so much potential both in story and otherwise that it's truly a crying shame that they're ghost towns because of this forced PvP.

At the same time the population in the game is so low that nobody seeking PvP is actually in these zones so you're plenty safe to do what you need to do and then leave.

Tamsen and Sir_Michael like this.
  5. Damian Killingsworth

Damian Killingsworth Avatar

Offline mode?
    SPO?
    Friends mode?

Hornpipe likes this.
  6. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

They're not forced. There are other routes to the locations that needed to complete the story, and none of those locations are PvP+.

If players were truly forced to enter PvP+ areas to complete the story, I would be the first and loudest to cry foul.

Elwyn, Womby, MrBlight and 4 others like this.
  7. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Do the NPCs tell us what those other routes are?
    Are those other routes great looking and interesting and exciting areas?

8. twofoldsilence

twofoldsilence Avatar

Thanks for the tips.

9. twofoldsilence

twofoldsilence Avatar

I mentioned those workarounds in my initial post, but I still don't understand why I have to use a workaround to enjoy the story of a game if I'm not interested in PVP. Especially, since there are so many other ways for PVP players to gank one another. The easiest and most convenient one being flagging themselves as Open PVP, so the world becomes their PVP arena, so why force PVE players who are playing SotA for the story into PVP areas when properly flagged PVP players can already fight amongst themselves anywhere in the world.

Tamsen, Ice Queen, Roxanne and 5 others like this.
  10. Damian Killingsworth

This has be come relatively seamless as of late, to do a quest that requires travel to a PvP zone without exposing yourself to PvP risk, involves a few clicks of the mouse and an extra loading scene(2 to return to full multi). I consider that more of an intended mechanic than a workaround.
    I feel ya here. w

[​IMG]
    edit: ty @Lord_Darkmoon

Cordelayne and Numa like this.
  11. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

This doesn't work, does it?
    Offline yes. But playing in SPO and FPO automatically moves you to OPO and flagging you for PVP when entering a PVP zone, doesn't it?

12. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

I don't like the idea that some things are only in pvp zones. I am not positive on this but, I heard the oracle quest requires you to go to many pvp zones to get notes. As well, things like sobrek heads can only be gotten in the fall as far as I know. For me personally, I am worried about doing some pvp, but I have many good friends who are strictly pve, and really get upset about things like this.

Tamsen, Dantuin, Rennik and 8 others like this.
  13. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Yes, you are put into multiplayer right away.

14. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

I think the ones im aware of are pretty interesting (krawl and kiln cistern are). Agree probably could do with hinting at alternate routes.

discipleofweb likes this.
  15. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

This explains why I have never seen or obtained one.

16. Damian Killingsworth

ah was not aware of that. ty

Sir_Michael likes this.
  17. twofoldsilence

twofoldsilence Avatar

I was wondering about that too. I think I'll try it next time I play, because I was sent to an Open PVP area for a quest I am on, but I would think if one is playing SPO and FPO (without a friend that is a PVP player) it wouldn't matter if the area is Open PVP, because you're either alone or with non PVP friends.

18. Lord British

Lord British Lord British SOTA Developer

BTW - I too am a NON-PVP player!
    I think you are all worried about work in progress that understandably does not yet meet your desires, but I do expect it will.
    1) You are not forced into the PVP space, but it is the shortest and most obvious path. I think that is fair.
    2) No NPC YET tells you about the alternate paths... but they will! And the paths will be more interesting with time, the paths are barely present if all present at all!
    3) While I am happy to provide a cool but harder alternative to the PVP path (for me and you), I also MUST say, I think a militant stance against ever being exposed to PVP is uncalled for, especially saying it will ruin your whole existence or life within a world. While I do not enjoy / prefer PVP, I have periodically wandered into a space to either determine, "yep, they can sure kill me easily", or "whew, I was lucky or sneaky enough to make it through without being noticed".

From the VERY beginning, we have said, I have said, while PVP would not be demanded, it would be encouraged / rewarded, to at least experiment with at the final levels of this game. We have remained consistent to that goal all along. If one side or the other is not yet fun, we will address that, to make sure all paths through the game are as fun as possible.

We hope to please both sides, in what I know is a difficult / passionate subject.
    I ask for your patience and open mindedness to trying it the way we make it!
    - Richard "Lord British" Garriott de Cayeux

Rennik, Mortanius, scorpius2 and 34 others like this.
  19. Patchup

Patchup Avatar

I just completed that part of the Love Path two days ago. The quest giver does state (paraphrase) The area is dangerous and it is known that adventurers attack each other there. But there is another way underground. (end) It is true, the quest giver is not obvious about it. But that has always been the charm of SoTA. You are not just handed the answers. Maybe the quest giver could emphasize it a bit more but I didn't feel like I was forced to do anything.
    Oh and I died three times above ground, but not to players. Lost a ton of experience pool, too. That's the risk. That's the fun.

I did not post this comment to be contrary or refute the concerns the original poster had. I just wanted to point out that there is mention of the PVP in the dialogue, although not in bold print and add my takeaway from that part of the quest.

20. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

@Lord British;

My one and Only hard stance, line in the sand that will result in the liquidation of my considerable investment in Shroud of the Avatar should it ever be crossed, is that I always have the option to opt out of PvP. This is Not the same as never being exposed to PvP... I fully support the inclusion of PvP in Shroud of the Avatar and have long been an opponent of the PvP Separatist who wish the PvP+ and PvP- communities to never interact.

My distaste for participation in PvP was born of my experience in Ultima Online, and I would never have contributed a dime to this effort if I had thought that this game was to be a repetition of that horror.

I agree with you that providing the alternate routes into those areas that must be visited to complete the story is sufficient separation, and will welcome those routes being advertised more openly. Please, however, do not presume to dictate to me what opinions on PvP are or are not called for. My opinions have been formed over decades of experience beginning with your original Online Game. I do appreciate that you have now begun to think more carefully about the rules you put in the game.

Thank you;

Tamsen, Cianna, Saesa and 14 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.