Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Exactly how rich is rich?

Discussion in 'Release 33 Feedback Forum' started by Mitara, Sep 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GraveDncer

GraveDncer Avatar

I craft very little, mostly scrolls and the rare gear for my own use. I grind constantly, only harvesting when I need a focus recharge, loot and sell pretty much everything I come across. 136k is my current total.

Time Lord and Mitara like this.
  2. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

When Chris mentioned rich players I didn't actually qualify which is why I think it might not be the best indicator of wealth. I usually don't get above 100k because idle gold is wasted gold but have probably made 3 - 4 million since the game went live and I usually pump it right back into the economy.

3. Merchant Mike

Merchant Mike Avatar

Tonight when I logged out I had 1300 gold. By tomorrow afternoon I will be broke again. But I do have a nice smile.

4. The Hendoman

The Hendoman Avatar

three weeks of solid playing, grinding, learning, and decking (and forum rants/raves) from archer to polearm level '50' = 50k gold imho. I sold some hardened and supple leather once, but everything else went into a guild to equip fellow players (mostly sacrificing mats back to Novia via breaking.) The rest goes to repair kits on weapons. I have 5k in gold right now.

So, my earned income is i guess 95% getting goldsunk via enchant fails. Economically I should probably feel good about that (?)

THE HENDOMAN

Vyrin, lollie and Time Lord like this.
  5. Armeleon Vesaz

Armeleon Vesaz Avatar

Around 200k and 70 COTOs is what I have now and have earned ingame. I have ancestor level pledge so net worth is ofc more.

Aedon and Time Lord like this.
  6. dragonbooster

dragonbooster Avatar

I play this game since 6 weeks and i have earned around 250k gold. The first 1-2 weeks i farmed a small amount ~ 20 k gold of it.
    There are 4 sorts of player (some in the middle) in this game:
    1. all old player which investet money and time long before persistenz, they have so much items to sell that they muste be rich (perhaps not in gold but in item value)
    (they are not only rich because of paying, they paid with there work to get the game to what it is today and they know more than everyone else).
    2. all players which started around persistens and invest more money than the normal ones which just bought a lot and 1-2 shop items to use.
    3. hardcore player with boring in game jobs like mining and monster farming with no brake.
    4. all normal player with 1-2 hours a day or players with much more hours but normal playing like look around, do rp and other like this.

I am between 3 and 4 and i like that i not have unlimited money and goals for the next years to have enough to do.
    You hve to work for your money and you not must cry 6 weeks after persistens that other have much more than you.
    If you are not player 1 or 2, you must take the time and next month and years to get rich, if Polarium give you now 1 million gold and a free tax free castle deed you have no goals for the future.
    No financial system in the world is good for everyone, so here can't it be better. Talk to other players, build groups of interest and work for you money or be happy with low money.

And: I am rich. I find friends here and i have fun to play this game.

7. Damian Killingsworth

Damian Killingsworth Avatar

buying fuel for crafting keeps me broke I think I peaked at 30k but most of the time I have 2k -5k

Time Lord likes this.
  8. The Hendoman

The Hendoman Avatar

I think that's going to be the norm.

Also, interesting how many views vs. how many posts. makes me think that people are secretive about the hoard. Or maybe it's pointless, there's only 50 things to hoard, we all do it, so moot.

THE HENDOMAN

9. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

If you have noticed, anyone in the 10% is auto hated on these forums. It would be crazy to let anyone know you have cash. Thus views without posts IMO

Time Lord likes this.
  10. Josh Randall

Josh Randall Avatar

Anyone who has over 10k in gold in my book is rich LOL

It's a subjective thing isn't it!

Lord Ravnos, cartodude and Time Lord like this.
  11. The Hendoman

The Hendoman Avatar

@Aldo - Which is asinine - they got a big chuck of chat turned into reality. That ahab troll always foruming about whales bothers me for the most part, and still reflects a realistic point of view sometimes too. *sigh*

THE HENDOMAN

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
    Time Lord likes this.
  12. Lifedragn

Lifedragn Avatar

I've got 22K gold. Just sunk 5k into a second PoT raffle ticket. Crafting fuels are my biggest sink since I am actively working towards GM Tailoring. But I usually manage to make a little more than I spend so I have a slow-ish yet steady upward progression. At least until I do get a house to spend my gold on.

4EverLost and Time Lord like this.
  13. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

High spending players are a nasty addiction that many companies are suffering from these days. Once companies realize that it is easier to get $1,000 from a customer that has already spent $1,000 than to convince 20 new players to spend $50 each, they start catering to those players more and more, to the point of eventually alienating the rest of the player base.

Time Lord likes this.
  14. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

Depends on how fast others get jealous about what you have.

If you are a Eunuch with a Duke Castle living beside a poor Casanova living in a Tavern Room with every day one beautiful women after another visiting i would consider you poor.

If you have all Add On Items in your Baron House and are living beside a player who optained all the same items with finishing Quests and PVP i would consider you poor.

If you have 200 Titles flashing over your head you got for pledge level and are standing in front of a player who got only 1 title but got it through playing just as the title describes it... who is richer.

But if you are surrounded with players who think like money and judge people on how much gold they have, how fat the door is to the castle and how many add on store items you have - then you are "Rich"

Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
    Acred and Time Lord like this.
  15. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

~The Curse of Our Eternal Economic Flame~
    We can't expect real world values to ever apply in any game, or it dooms that game to an ever spiraling upward economy which is all then worthless.

Each of the things both have mentioned, have no real value which would enable one player to be more functional within the game.
    Currently, we have no functionality for gold over a certain threshold amount, because any further adding to that amount then has no purpose for becoming saved other than to only increase a meaningless number on the screen.

Functionality is the only real worth of riches there can be in a world where nothing gets old and nothing ever dies.
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

Jivalax Azon, Acred and Myrcello like this.
  16. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

If you are a Time Lord combined with a all seeing Eye you reached Nirvana

Time Lord likes this.
  17. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

You are right my friend :D It's sure the only way to reach Nirvana now :cool:
    [​IMG]
    ~Time Lord~:D

Nadomir and Myrcello like this.
  18. LikeAfox2

LikeAfox2 Avatar

Right now i am AL 76

I have about 80k on me and don't consider myself rich. What I mean by that is, I honestly don't know what to buy or have any interest of buying anything. There is no demand for the supply in the world, nothing of worth to buy.

The place I farm supplies myself with the regs I need and a few repair kits when I need them. I don't even use regs. I have 2 wands and most my skills are high enough that my reg consumption is very low vs the amount of regs I loot. I have 2 sets of armor I've been using since the start and don't have too much of a reason to upgrade. I consider my armor B- grade. There is no reason to upgrade to A or A+ class unless I start to focus on PVPing and the cost to PVP is a whole-nother topic.

I did dump about 120k buying 121 COTO's that i have absolutely no use for except for the hope to sell them later on for 3-5k if the price ever jumps.

In the beginning I grinded producer exp and got enchanting to lvl 70, besides that I find it mindlessly boring and a waste of time because everyone essentially uses the same armor and it can be bought for pretty cheap. Other than that, it's just a time sink until episode 2 most likely

The only satisfaction in owning a home is the extra storage. I have a vendor that no one buys from because no one really travels to the edge part of town. I have even posted on discord and SOTA forums, but there are already too many people with properties in easily reached areas selling the same items for not much of a difference. Being a home owner besides storage or making arenas/farming

For example,

If I want to buy a repair kit and the vendor in Owls Head sell's it for 160, the auction house sells it for 130 and I can see a vendor in the area selling it for 125. Without thinking, I would buy it from the auction house or the player vendor.

If I knew there was another town with a player vendor selling a repair kit for 100, would I really want to travel 5-8 minutes to that town to but the repair kit? Or would I buy the expensive one, and use the 7 minutes to grind enough gold/exp to make up the difference. I understand that there are an abundance of towns that people go to, but right now, there are only 3 major towns: OH, KP and Ardoris.

Lets say you need to repair all of your armor which takes 6 repair kits and we use the middle price:

130g x 6 kits = 760 gold to repair your armor/wep
    Vs traveling to another part of the world
    90g (What i'm trying to sell kits for) x 6 kits = 540 gold to repair your armor/wep

The 220 gold can easily be made up. The reason I use this example is because I have a vendor selling kits for 90 gold with only 1 transaction who bought 100. This might sound good, but with the fact that I've had this item placed for such a long time, everyone else has a much higher turn over rate in other parts of the world, selling their products for a much higher %. To possibly get my T.O.R. higher, I will need to cut my prices dramatically in hopes people will find it worth their time to buy my item and that would be such a low rate of return vs the cost of products.

For an adventurer in OH, they can easily go to Kingsport to buy kits for 100g. So, let's say I would need to lower my price to say 70g to make up for the travel time. I can easily sell my items to a NPC for 50g and call it a day. the 20g difference only really compounds with economies of scale and there is not enough demand in the economy to support that and that proves true with simply increasing your preservation skills to 60. This example can be used for a lot of other goods in the economy as well besides selling ore of course.

I probably play 1 or 2 hours a night if that. I currently don't find any satisfaction playing and just do it cause I have hopes that the future is bright and I want to slowly increase my lvl an skills to keep up with the inflation of other players lvl/gold. Then we have to compare opportunity cost. Spending 2 hours mindlessly mining or mindless killing a few mobs.

Sorry for the mini rant.

4EverLost, Aldo, Time Lord and 2 others like this.
  19. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

This isn't an accident, Burzmali... Microtransactions (MTX) are the norm and the preferred business model in the industry. And it wasn't the Industry that chose the model. Subscription model games are an anathema to the market anymore, and games must be monetize, and be profitable, or they simply cease to be. A successful MTX title will have about 1% of their player base spend ANY money on the game... a much smaller fraction will spend a LOT of money on the game... These are the players that make it possible for the other 99% of the people that play the game to enjoy it... For Free.

20. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

I can't help but notice that 100% of players of SotA spent money on the game so far, and I hardly call hundreds of dollars for some items to be "microtransactions".

Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.