1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Exclusive Darkstarr Moondial. Get yours before they're gone!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by caravaggiosWolf (Dev), Jul 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dame Lori

Dame Lori Avatar

Yes, they said in the KS update that it is a placeholder until they put in the New Britannia map.

2. Sedoratha

Sedoratha Avatar

Missed that part it seems !

3. Dame Lori

Dame Lori Avatar

Yep just one line that was easy to overlook. :D Good eye though, I didn't notice until they mentioned it!

rild likes this.
  4. BorgKitten

BorgKitten Avatar

I personally like this greyish green for the hand, I also wouldn't mind an all gold model, the combinations & possibilities are endless. I hope they give us a few choices so we can decide which color scheme would look better for our house. :3

Dame Lori and KernelPanic like this.
  5. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

A Sims 3 style item customization might be in order.. though I shudder at the thought of some of the possible results. :)

BorgKitten likes this.
  6. KernelPanic

KernelPanic Avatar

Thanks a lot Dame_Lori!! :)

It looks really sweet to me. I hope we get the opportunity to choose some color variations. Although the star hand looks great its not going to be my first choice (its a bit dark). So a few different color schemes would be nice to that we also don't have exactly the same item at most homes. ;)

BorgKitten and Dame Lori like this.
  7. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

As far as functionality, I don't see why it would hurt to make it functional. Others can find more generic moondials, towns might even have bigger ones as centerpeices (in place of a town square clock tower).

The darkstarr version is just even more special because it's a themed piece of art.. kind of like Iolo's crossbow, functional, much like any other crossbow, but also a beautiful piece of art. :)

BorgKitten, rild, Wsye and 1 other person like this.
  8. BorgKitten

BorgKitten Avatar

BTW I've been thinking of this piece & have another idea for it. Not sure if this has been brought up before but I think it would be cool if the blades of the sun would spin, like the central cirular disk part of the sun has a little mechanism holding and spinning those sun blades in place. Anyway, just an idea :3

9. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Make it work, make it useful.
    ~Time Lord~;)

rild, Acred and ThurisazSheol like this.
  10. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

You know, there is somebody in the southeast of Novia that likes to raise the dead too!

11. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Aye My Good Friend!
    PM strangeness coming your way...
    ~TL~;)

Acred and Sir Frank like this.
  12. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Since they announced there would be a necklace "Astrolabe" that will cause the constellations to be highlighted in the sky, I figured that the @DarkStarr Moondial would have the same functionality. Its really just a deco and portable version of the same item, just like the Telescope and Spyglass have the same function.

LoneStranger and Time Lord like this.
  13. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

A cheap un-useful trinket? :confused:
    That would seem a waist of a "game designer's" time...o_O
    Simple "doodling" can produce more than that.
    ~TL~:rolleyes:

14. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

How so? Its existing functionality, so its hardly any time. And when crafting/magic gets hooked up to take advantage of celestial events, this will be useful.

Its un-useful now, since it does nothing.

Time Lord likes this.
  15. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

My comments there were meant as a source of inspiration to a certain traveler who was off on his great adventure to create something new in our gaming world ( our eye's of "The Fellowship" are everywhere :cool:)...

In other comments... (real life meets gaming life)...
    I like this aspect of it that it may light up the constellations, yet we have yet to connect the player with sky in a meaningful conduit between them. If the constellations are highlighted, then that's great if it's a clear sky. Yet astrolabes were intended to be able to predict where the planets are without the ability to actually see them, but every now and then.

For the sophisticated player, something like lighting the constellations up is fine. But we yearn to have more players joining us who are not and will need that tool to do even more. The moondial should depict the planets and where they are, "end of function".

Any astrolabe should be predictive. Once people use such a thing, it becomes more natural not to have to rely on it. I've worked with planetary positions for a very long time, yet even while I'm not looking at anything, "my last bearing becomes my guide to where second nature kicks in". Yet this doesn't take very long in the proses of using such things. We have young people showing up and also those that have never encountered a game that uses the planets. This is the main reason we need a good crutch for them that they can rely on, because if they can't rely on it because it's too complicated a proses, then they simply won't ever use it in their daily gaming lives..

An accurate predictor of the planets where all the positions are known "of the planets" is needed, where the constellations are only it's backdrop of where to measure everything from.

Game play is a little different than in real, because our planets move very quickly here. If a player can quickly predict when any event will happen, then this becomes second nature to them where the crutch of the gizmo then can be left back at home.

We want people to "feel" that they have a very close relationship with our heavens above :D
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
    Acred likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.