Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

[Expected]Cover does not affect magic!

Discussion in 'Release 39 Dev+ Bug Forum' started by Barugon, Feb 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

2/9/2017 11:26 PM
    Title: Cover does not affect magic!
    Reproduction Rate: 100%
    Blocker? No.
    Details: Cover prevents me from shooting a mage but it does not prevent that mage's fireballs from having their maximum effect on me. Also, If I try to take cover, it affects my shots.
    Steps to Reproduce: Try to fight a mage NPC from a partially obscured position.
    User Specs:
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4720HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz (8) System RAM: 15969
    GPU: GeForce GTX 970M/PCIe/SSE2 GPU RAM: 3072
    SotA.EarlyAccess.Linux.64.450.Date.02.09.17
    Area: Novia_R2_Hills01_CragFoothills
    Area Display Name: Crag Foothills
    Loc: (7.6, 66.3, 114.6)

[edit] OK, cover is just totally broken. Shooting an archer NPC with nothing between us and my arrows are not connecting. I just get the "Cover" message. Cover was an interesting idea but if it's going to be frustrating then it needs to be disabled until you get it working right.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
    Katrina Bekers likes this.
  2. Attenwood

Attenwood Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

OR, and hear me out on this, we keep it active for QA Dev+ players can test and provide greater details on what breaks it so that we can get it fixed in time for R39! Which is sort of the point of the QA server. ;)

Please provide a clear and reproducible example of cover failing against specific enemies at exact locations, if you could. Descriptions of where the enemy was placed in comparison to you, as well.

I submitted the issue regarding magic spells being unaffected (41222). It is by design that cover works both ways against not just you, but against enemies that are covered (your arrows are expected to be affected while you're in cover).

Any other details you can provide would help immensely. Thank you!

3. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I'll try to get some better info tonight.

Attenwood likes this.
  4. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

Cover isn't done. I still need to go set some values for various spells to mark which can and can't be impacted by magic.

Barugon likes this.
  5. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

It's always been my understanding that magic would be effected by cover much the same way that dodging and armor effects magic.

The spells that you have to aim (rays, beams, most elemental spells) can be dodged and are impacted by armor? But the spells that you don't aim (fields, touches) those ignore dodging and armor? Is this how cover will work?

6. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

That is the plan. We already have tech so we can do cover tests from the damage source (like where a fireball hits) or the caster. We aren't doing cover on 100% of spells though. Pretty sure the healers would crucify me if I reduced their heals based on cover. :p

7. Merv DeGriff

Merv DeGriff Avatar

Thanks for the info Chris! As for the heals... I don't think crucify is the right word. Going full Vlad Tepes on you is more like it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.