Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

[Expected] Performance: Scene Loading Times Long Even with New SSD Drive

Discussion in 'Release 37 Bug Forum' started by Bom, Jan 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bom

Bom Avatar

One of the things I dislike most about playing SotA is the frequency and duration of the loading screens. When traveling throughout the game they occur very often and the duration quite literally limits gameplay. I avoid them as often as possible and I often find myself simply walking away from the game or doing something else while waiting for the game to load, which frequently results in me losing interest or getting kicked from the game for not returning back in time to continue playing after a load.

My whole family feels the same way.

So, for Christmas I thought it would be a good idea to buy my family a new gaming computer with a new SSD drive for playing SotA. However, I'm disappointed to say that it has not made a significant difference. The load screens are still many and even with the new SSD drive they still take too long.

I think reducing the frequency and duration of load times should certainly be a main focus in order to get more people playing longer and more often.

The new load screens and game tips help a little bit, but it might be better if the screens and tips changed every few seconds.

Or maybe there could be mini-games that could be played against various game characters during load screens? Or maybe game lore could be displayed for reading? Maybe the activity could be chosen? If players were busy reading during the load screens or playing a mini game, betting gold or resources, it could even make the load screens interesting.

Overall it would probably be best to reduce the frequency and duration of load screens, but something definitely needs to be done to minimize their impact.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
    AMD FX(tm)-8350 Eight-Core Processor, 4000 Mhz
    Radeon (TM) RX 470 Graphics 4 GB
    Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB
    Kingston 480GB 550MB/s SSD

Load times starting with a fresh boot of SotA in Solo:

2:43 - First Login to Brittany Alleys
    0:25 - Brittany Alleys to Novia
    0:56 - Novia to Brittany Estates
    0:41 - Novia to Brittany Fields
    0:41 - Login to Celestis
    0:56 - Login to Brittany Wharf
    1:15 - Login to Ardoris
    1:10 - Login to Central Brittany
    1:15 - Novia to Brittany Alleys
    0:38 - Login to POT​

It appears one thing that may be making things worse for me is that I have a house in Brittany Alleys and go there frequently. Brittany Alleys appears to have the longest load times. I notice that all scenes load fairly quickly to 50% and that is where it really slows down. What happens at 50%?

Further, there is another delay on top of the load times for housing information to load. The housing delay takes another minute or two before the house sign or house changes will apply. I'll time the housing delay the next time I login.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
    Lord Andernut likes this.
  2. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

We're aware of the load time increases. Sadly we will probably only make a tiny scratch in them this release but we hope to address them in one of the two upcoming releases.

Bom, Aldo, Fister Magee and 1 other person like this.
  3. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

I find it frustrating too. I find it soooooo much longer after the optimizations. Gigabit connection, very fast computer (Ram, Processor, Video Card, SSD, all good) - 2 minutes to load my POT.

Makes me gnash my teeth!

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
  4. Bom

Bom Avatar

Additional time, beyond character load times listed above, to fully load housing database:

0:52 Brittany Alleys
    1:11 Brittany Fields
    0:22 Celestis
    1:12 Brittany Warfs
    1:10 Brittany Central

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.