Expert CraftingTables for self reliant none-homeowners

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by Xandra7, Mar 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

So my understanding was wrong! :D

2. Selene

Selene Avatar

Before the recent post, I thought they were going to be craftable, too! I am guessing it was a possible idea they kicked around in a a hangout with "we might to it this way" that didn't pan out.

Leelu and Katrina Bekers like this.
  3. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

link?

Leelu likes this.
  4. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

First I'm hearing of this. I'd like to see a link too please.

Bowen Bloodgood and Fister Magee like this.
  5. Selene

Selene Avatar

It was in the R27 feedback forum, which means it is gone, but Spoon linked it in message 17 of this thread for posterity.

The original post was from Gingerloaf and reads:
    "4. Players can not craft stations (including the expert ones). You can be considered lucky if you move in next to someone with the best stations in town, however our design is to have stations provided by the town as well. I am unsure of whether or not this is implemented so far but the idea is that there should be public crafting areas in towns and between the players with crafting stations and the town crafting areas there should be plenty of stations available."

Xandra7 and Kara Brae like this.
  6. Gregoire Visaard

Gregoire Visaard Avatar

This is news to me as well....good news too!

Expert and above should not be everywhere,... just like in the real world.

You want good stuff you go to places that specialize, you get yourself some specialized tools, some specialized training, and work especially hard at it until you learn how to make it special like.

... or you can pay for it!

Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
    Kara Brae likes this.
  7. Curt

Curt Avatar

I can confirm gingerloaf posted that.
    Was in post mostly agra and me was discussing and gingerloaf got some foodback

Xandra7 likes this.
  8. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

As I stated earlier in this thread.. "Players can not.." is not the same thing as "Players won't be able to..." Present tense vs future tense. This quote only reflects the current state of the game.. It's not even very clear in regards current implementation on public stations..

Craftable or not.. crafting stations superior to Expert level need to be available and ownable by players or else the expert stations obtained through pledges will be the best player owned stations and that would be a bad thing.

9. Selene

Selene Avatar

Well, as long as expert and better stations are available for players to use, I am not sure it is such a bad thing. Keep lots and Castle lots are only obtainable through pledges. The way the comment is worded, where he mentions that in the design they will be implemented in town areas (even if they are not currently available) leads me to believe that crafting these stations is not planned or it would have been stated differently.

"the idea is that there should be public crafting areas in towns and between the players with crafting stations and the town crafting areas there should be plenty of stations available"

Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
    Xandra7 likes this.
  10. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Keeps and castles amount to little more than bragging rights at the end of the day and no one actually needs them to play. Crafting stations on the other hand will be a vital part of the economy and any player with a good one can produce their own gear they can take out into the field. People will cry pay to win over that. At least with castles and keeps you can argue it's just cosmetics but crafting stations arguably provide 'power.' Yeah I know, not a huge deal but you know how people are. Players need to be able to own the stations.. and I for one have no desire to listen to people whine and complain that they have to spend 5 minutes traveling to the next town to access a particular station just because they live in a player owned town.

11. Selene

Selene Avatar

But is it cosmetics when you turn a keep lot into a huge agriculture hub and churn out large amounts of resources? The expert crafting stations will be made available in major NPC cities, where anyone can craft on them. Just like anyone with a row lot will be able to farm in a public garden. Having your own stations is convenience. I disagree that everyone needs to "own" them. And if they want to live in a POT, I would recommend one of the MANY POTs that will make those crafting stations available to the citizens.

People will complain about anything and everything. Look at the back and forth threads on the different releases "Night is too dark" "Now it's too bright" "Now it's too dark again." You will never make everyone happy.

12. Gregoire Visaard

Gregoire Visaard Avatar

What was it like in UO or other games if you wanted to make something really high end? Do you just go down to the 7-11 or to a special place in the game? Maybe POT's are meant to be some of those special or not so special places. In reality 260 POTS will give you more than a few places to go within your region to gain access.

13. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I don't disagree with the sentiment, but I also see no reason why we couldn't build or own the stations ourselves. It makes no sense to limit players in that way.. especially when we can own stations now.

Whyterose Flowers and Xandra7 like this.
  14. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

If everyone could make expert crafting stations the that would devalue the pledge rewards. Even if they're not in the game yet, the devs have stated multiple times that there will be expert crafting stations in public places.

15. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

How could it devalue pledge rewards if they're already available to the public? Even so that argument makes no sense at all because the same can be said of armor. Pledge levels get armor and weapons and yet we can craft weapons and armor that are superior to them now. By this logic would not the ability to craft superior weapons and armor also devalue pledge rewards?

16. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Because then everyone would have expert stations in their basements and wouldn't need to go somewhere to use them. The reward would no longer be special.

If the pledge weapons and armor were better than what you could make then that would really be pay to win and would be unfair. Expert crafting stations will still be available to everyone, you just have to go to it.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
  17. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

It's not all that special now. Especially when they won't be the best ones in the game. Who's going to craft at home if all you can have is an expert station when there are master stations you can access?

If they're available to everyone anyway.. then the only thing that makes them "special" is the little banner which sits there doing nothing.

18. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

If they're not special then why are you so upset about not being able to make them?

19. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

How do you arrive at that conclusion? Pointing out that the language of a dev's comments does not exclude possible changes to what currently exists and disagreeing in general is not an indicator that one is upset. It simply means..

I'm not convinced the comments in question are proof of anything.
    I don't agree that it makes any sense for stations to not be craftable.. for reasons already stated.
    I don't agree they're special or that being able to craft better stations somehow devalues pledges that get expert ones with a pointless banner on it.

Much like artisan tools, starter weapons and starter armor.. players can craft superior versions. There's no reason to think crafting stations should be any different.

Pledge values come from the stuff that they get that are NOT available through in-game means. Like titles and rent free lots & vendors and exclusive homes and to some.. (other than myself) items with special symbols that can't be crafted which are little more than bragging rights.. Oooo look everyone I'm a Founder! Some like that.. I could care less.. I'd rather have the regular crafted version myself but that is neither here nor there.

So are we clear then? Making a point and not agreeing with you is not the same thing as being upset.

Xandra7 likes this.
  20. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

There are a complete set of these publicly available in my town. See the article linked through my signature for location and other details.

One of the main reasons I bumped my pledge level to the point it is today is so that I would have this benefit to offer to my residents (and non-residents passing through) and would object to my investment being cheapened by them being a commonly available commodity.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.