Expert CraftingTables for self reliant none-homeowners

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by Xandra7, Mar 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

What am I winning when my Lord Marshal granted crafting stations are publicaly available to anyone that wishes to use them?
    I've paid, you win.

2. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

But with so many player's doing so are you not making them a commonly available commodity? And if any player is never more than 5-10 minutes away from one or more in any particular NPC town.. how is that not commonly available?

3. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Perhaps, but it's still the benefit I paid for. Expert Crafting Stations were supposed to be Unique rewards for pledges. There was no limit on the number of qualifying pledges stated or implied.

4. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

What you should realize is that "unique" is because they have that banner on them. The knight's round table is unique for the same reason.. as are the thrones and the baron's bed.. the founder's cloaks etc. All of that stuff has or will have craftable versions. The description says.. "uniquely identifiable as a Founder's crafting station." for a reason. It's not unique because it's an expert level station. It's unique because it's the founder's version of the expert level station. There is also no statement or implication that more 'common', not uniquely identifiable stations would not be available.

Xandra7, cartodude and Daxxe Diggler like this.
  5. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

i like the idea that there should be crafting tables in each town. be it npc, prt, or pot. i however think that the expert level tables should not be in npc towns or prts.

i'd like to see npc towns have starter level tables, prts have novice to intermediate level tables, and if the players can build them, expert level tables in pots.

i'd like to see, also, master level tables in hard to reach places around the continent. surrounded by mobs. - and NOT craftable to players..both finished product tables and refining stations.
    i'd like to see these specirfic tables have very specific qualities and perks to the crafted items that can only be had by crafting the base materials there.
    however,
    i'd like to see GRANDmaster tables only craftable by players, and not in the world. but only for the tables that provide finished product, not for the tables that only refine base materials.

Xandra7 likes this.
  6. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Just a quick refresher as I think sometimes the details get lost in discussions. The different level stations don't just effect success chances.. but also (as of last known current thinking) the level of recipes that can be crafted on them. For example.. if an expert station allows recipes with up to 7 components.. a master station might allow recipes with 8-10 components.

I did find it interesting that the Obsidian Forge.. which was originally just described as a master or grand master level blacksmithing station.. has apparently.. and this is just my impression.. shifted focus a bit to more a specialty station. As I'm sure we all know now that it is the only place to craft obsidian items. I can't help but wonder if this is a shift from more generic 'master' crafting stations. In other words, will there or will there not be "normal" master level stations.. and I suspect there will.. in addition to specialty stations like the Obsidian Forge?

The special limited item type on the Obsidian Forge suggests that all crafting skills.. or at least production skills. will have a special station with a special variety of items crafted on it. It gives one pause to wonder. What could only be crafted on the (currently theoretical) special cooking station? Tailoring? Textiles? And what about those items will be significant enough to compel players to take the risk to craft them?

Specialty items are enough to lure players to those stations so they need not necessarily follow the same rules as 'normal' stations.. which paves the way for high level stations being available for less risk without sacrificing the uniqueness of stations like the Obsidian Forge.

I'm curious.. or will be in the future when crafting is more fleshed out.. will you still be able to craft normal items on the Obsidian Forge? Are there any other items you could only craft there? ie non-obsidian master level recipes

Xandra7 and ThurisazSheol like this.
  7. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I'll bet dollars to donuts that anything above expert level will always be in a dangerous area.

ThurisazSheol likes this.
  8. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I'd be sorely tempted to take that bet. I like donuts. :)

If expert stations were the best players could own and only pledges could own them that's arguably pay to win territory. If on the other hand players could own better.. much like crafted gear.. then that's obviously not the case.

Xandra7 likes this.
  9. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Not if there are publicly available expert stations.

10. Whyterose Flowers

Whyterose Flowers Avatar

They paid for the expert crafting tables with their pledges to support the development of the game. If they didnt the game would not exist, so we all win because of these pledges.

I do think the expert crafting stations should be in each NPC town, it would be nice to gather at these crafting stations for player interaction. And no I do not own any of these tables.

Lord Barugon likes this.
  11. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I think most of the pay to win folks would beg to differ. Not having to travel around is by some considered an advantage.

12. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

It's certainly a convenience.

13. Xandra7

Xandra7 Avatar

Inconvenience is ok, but frustration will get folks angry.

-Limited fast travel. (gold cost + single bind-spot)
    -Local Banking. May take multiple trips
    -Housing. Plan on the possibility of being disappointed if you are a crafter who planned on local crafting.

cobran likes this.
  14. agra

agra Avatar

Agreed. The pledge reward should have been just a convenience, based on larger centers having Expert tables as well.
    However, given two things,
    - four releases passing without Expert tables appearing in the NPC public crafting pavilions in Resolute, Owl's Head, Ardoris, or Aerie. If they were going to go in those towns, they would be in those towns by now.
    - the almost complete silence on the part of the devs on this subject. A 30 second post would solve months of angst for thousands of potential lot placers, and yet.. they won't say. It seems unlikely they're ignorant of the problem, leaving "don't say anything" to avoid conflict as long as possible. If Brittany is the only place to get them, that will directly conflict with the R24 public goal.

R29 is going to be extremely interesting. PRT 2.0's should make their first appearance, and crafting will supposedly get quite a few changes regarding crit crafting which will bring this issue to the forefront if the crit bonus stays the same on Expert stations. If there are no Expert stations in the NPC public crafting pavilions in Resolute, Owl's Head, Ardoris, or Aerie by then, anxiety is going to start to rise sharply, imho.

I suspect massively unpopular changes in policy like this are going to just be the tip of the iceberg, and DLMB isn't going to save them from the scorn of the pledgers and critical general public. The recent confirmation that 500+ taming collars is "working as intended" to GM Taming was another one of these. Gating a mechanic like Taming behind thousands of hours of 'click and wait 30 seconds' mining? Ouch. Yet another negative distinction for Shroud in the genre. :eek:

cobran and Xandra7 like this.
  15. Selene

Selene Avatar

This is just pure speculation. The NPCs for Aerie are still not fully fleshed out, nor will they be for some time. There are clone cities all over that will get polished and customized. The goal at the moment of the dev team is to get the skeleton of all the towns and zones in place so people can claim lots while all the work is still being done. None of the cities are complete and finished. Ardoris was in the game for quite a while before the gondoliers were put in, and even those are still in development.

and 30, and 31... they are all stepping stones to get us to a persistent world. Fear mongering will only hurt the community.

16. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Precisely. 100%

Mountains from mole hills folks. If you don't know anything about the process.. don't assume you do. Portalarium hasn't given any reason why we shouldn't take them at their word. They've been as honest and forthright as can be hoped for.. (though they aren't perfect they do put forth the effort).

Lord Barugon likes this.
  17. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Yes!

18. agra

agra Avatar

As an update for R29, there are no Expert tables in the NPC public crafting pavilions in Resolute, Owl's Head, Ardoris, Brittany, or Aerie.

And this is the current bonus of the Expert tables that you can, today in R29, only obtain via Pledging: (+30% crafting success change, ~+11% critical chance)
    [​IMG]
    Two more releases to go until we find out if Expert tables will ever be craftable or in any NPC village/town/city/story scene, before persistence.

Xandra7 likes this.
  19. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

if? i doubt they won't be...
    when, is the big question. - i certainly hope you have to be an expert to craft an expert tool/table, and i hope you can only craft expert tools/tables on expert tables with expert tools.

20. agra

agra Avatar

ThurisazSheol likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.