1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Explanations on monetization thinking on SotA

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Chris, Jun 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. agra

agra Avatar

Same here, especially with the whole "lose 1 max for every 10 normal" durability loss that goes against "you should only lose max dur when the item is repaired"..
    I don't see any difference at all from build 419, and I could burn through an entire weapon's max durability in less than 21 hours of combat, at the build 426 rates.
    And that's not even fighting 'hard' stuff in The Rise or any of the other adv. lvl 55+ scenes, if they exist.

Time Lord likes this.
  2. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

Good to hear this I hope for two things with this type of thing first of all craftable variants to add more recipes into the game and secondly the ability to use crafting to add stats to the items since they should basically be statless because having stats on them would be more towards the P2W side. This way we can have fancy looking items people can buy but they can use crafting to make them actually functional as combat armor. I think the ability to buy the items outside of the subscription but at a higher price might also be useful as long as the items are expiring each month although you don't necessarily have to make them 100% exclusive to the subscription like pledge rewards imo.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2016
    PK U, KuBaTRiZeS and Time Lord like this.
  3. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

[​IMG]
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

PK U, Link_of_Hyrule and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  4. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

I went out to test durability to see how long it would take to lose a point of durability after I patched the update this morning . In a level 5 skulls area (Sawtooth Thicket)(full plate and two-handed sword), killing creatures in a small amount of time, one at a time or two at a time, it took 33 creatures to take my equipment down 1 durability point.

5. KuBaTRiZeS

KuBaTRiZeS Avatar

I played an hour or so today... Last day i logged out on an adventure zone, so today i finished hunting there until i was encumbered then left the zone to get home.

When i left the zone, i noticed that every piece of gear lost a point on both durability and maximum durability, so i guess the bug about durability is still around.

Solazur, Noric and Time Lord like this.
  6. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

Kuba, if it goes to 2 and 2, message me directly. My guess is what you're seeing is the display rounding down. Max will likely stay at 99 until current hits 89. If that isn't the case, please yell at a dev ASAP!

Stahlknecht, KuBaTRiZeS and Time Lord like this.
  7. Solazur

Solazur Avatar

Weeeeeeeeeeeee :)

uhhh don't worry if that doesn't make sense... It's an inside thang

Go KuBaH

8. Solazur

Solazur Avatar

Please convert to "Bear Hours" and report back :)

j/k j/k

9. Noric

Noric Avatar

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/is-the-durability-bug-really-fixed.52427/

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...uge-bug-this-is-where-max-dur-is-going.52318/

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...te-durability-still-broken.52464/#post-572232

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...ty-decay-rate-isnt-working-as-intended.52414/

KuBaTRiZeS and Time Lord like this.
  10. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

How about max durability takes its hit at the repair stage. When you repair -1 max durability. At Death extra damage to gear just a suggestion. These two things would reward or punish the player depending on thier choices. The one who repairs to often and early will wear down gear faster. The player who wipes too much wears down current durability at a faster rate. The player who does not wipe and repairs when needed will get more life out of thier gear.

Repair kits repair x amount where a smithy repairs x+%, or x+x. Then there is your crown that restores max to full, but gets more expensive per use. I know some of this is already in the works but figured id lay it all out.

@Chris

Last edited: Jun 4, 2016
    Juzzie and Time Lord like this.
  11. Acaelus Fireharp

Acaelus Fireharp Avatar

I think the players hit hardest by COTO's are those who spend a lot of time in game.
    I understand that Portalarium need to monetize the game somehow, but I do have two concerns about the proposed implementation, the first being the most serious:

(1.) How do you stop COTO's being sold P2P via public vendors for vast sums of gold per coin, essentially becoming a cash to gold exchange, which makes the game pay to win any way you look at it,
    unless you moderate their max selling price by adding easily accessible in game vendors selling COTO's for around 500g each?

Given that players can post purchase orders on public vendors, effectively setting the Public Vendor sale price to whatever they like, COTOs are an obvious price fixing target for people who are looking to turn real money into in game gold
    which they can then then resell to other players, and make a profit. The current COTO mechanic is a gold farmers dream come true, and a quick Google search confirms that there are already "Buy SOTA Gold" web pages springing up.

Portalarium selling COTO's is one thing, but allowing the sale of COTO's to be driven by third party gold sellers at the cost of the in game economy something else entirely, how will this problem be addressed?

(2.) Will the subscription model provide enough coins for the hardcore gamer players who are hardest hit by COTO's? If it provided enough coins for someone like Themo Lock to keep his gear in good order, that would be great.
    I think addressing these two issues would smooth over any serious potential issues regarding COTO's, and go a long way towards alleviating the serious concerns that many backers have at this point.

@Chris

Snikorts and Time Lord like this.
  12. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

If that happens, come see me and I'll sell you some at a reasonable price. And the thing that keeps that from happening is people undercutting prices on people who set ridiculous prices. I find your scenario highly unlikely.

It was meant to be a cash to gold exchange...

KuBaTRiZeS and Time Lord like this.
  13. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

~BTW @Onus Fairwind Thanks So Much For the Crafting Wiki~:)!'
    http://www.sotacrafting.wiki/ <---<<< Keep it Up and I'll be your #1 Crafting Fan Club Customer ;)
    [​IMG]
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

Stahlknecht likes this.
  14. marthos

marthos Avatar

In this scenario, who exactly is "paying to win"? One player is losing a COTO and gaining gold, the other player is losing gold and gaining a COTO. Both players benefits, but that is the natural outcome of any trade. Players will trade with each other in a manner that they believe will help them achieve their goals faster ("win"). Nobody is losing in this exchange. The COTO on the vendor may not have even been purchased from the cash shop, so real money may not have even been a part of this trade.

It will be very hard to make a profit. If the going rate of COTOs is 1000 gold and costs $1 in the store, why would I spend $2 for 1000 gold on some SOTA GOLD website? I'll just buy my own COTO and trade it to a player instead. If I have real money to spend on in-game gold, I'm going to spend it in the most cost effective way possible.

Womby, Jarl Atogrim and Time Lord like this.
  15. TheMaddHungarian

TheMaddHungarian Avatar

First: Noooooooooooo the COTO's were meant for "Repairs" on a players Weapons (and/or) Amour. Second: If a player Chooses to NOT spend RL$ on COTO's, then COTO Investors should NOT be allowed to Exploit all of us SoTa players by Selling these Coins at Ridiculous Prices (e.g. 10k and up for One (1) Coin in the Public Vendor). Finally, Onus is right when asking SoTa to Regulate the Price of these Coins (e.g. 500 gold each on Managing Orders at the Public Vendor). Great system Onus, SoTa should look closer at your Suggestion and Possibly Implement it into the game to Prevent "EXPLOITATION" in the game.

Time Lord likes this.
  16. TheMaddHungarian

TheMaddHungarian Avatar

As usual "Ice Queen" you are and continue to be Simply Awesome. Love your inputs, Maps, and Housing spreadsheets to mention just a few. However, the exact day of the Rel. 30 patch, I noticed that and using your Stats above that at that pace your Weapons and Armour would most likely degrade to "Zero/Broken" within a 7-day period. My point is that 7-days to the Breaking point is too Ridiculous. Possibly using your same Stats above I'm hoping maybe 1-3 month of usage til Final Breakage would be better. I did notice that the Game patched on #425 or #426 I'm guessing, that the Degration Rate had significantly dropped to a slower yet managable rate. So, yes Lvl-5 Kills totalling 33 seems to be perfect considering only 1-point Loss on Durability was deducted off your avatar. Again, keep up the good work in the SoTa Community. I always enjoy your Inputs to the Game Play. Take Care ;)

Time Lord likes this.
  17. TheMaddHungarian

TheMaddHungarian Avatar

Oh!!!! BTW: As for GREEDY Sellers selling Items at Exploited prices, I agree with Chris the Market will bear and tolerate these prices. In short, if it's too Highly Inflated it just that Simple - ***NOBODY will buy your Items that your are trying to sell at the public vendor. It will sit for 7-days til the Expiration Time...PERIOD!!! So......Go ahead COTO's Investors sock away your Coins on the Exchange - it will just SIT there until it Expires.....LMAO:p

Time Lord and Womby like this.
  18. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

Thanks, I'm glad the spreadsheets are helpful to you. :)

It doesn't take very long to kill 33 level 5 skull creatures when you're out grinding them out in some place like Deep Ravenswood really, so at 1 point durability loss per 33 skull 5 creatures you're gonna wear down your armor really quickly. I went for Sawtooth Thicket for the variety of creatures, archers, bears, spider, wolves etc. I'm sure Chris will be tweaking it as he's balancing the durability to get it right.

Say you're in Deep Ravenswood and you start at the wolves to the left of the entrance, there are 17 wolves I think, if you kill them rather quickly that's possibly half a point on your durability just killing those wolves in a pretty quick amount of time and you haven't even made it to spiders yet. If you kill them at a slower rate, it would make sense they're beating on your longer and those same 17 wolves may take 1 point of durability away before you even make it to the spiders. In short at low levels it may not be too bad on your durability, but once you hit skull 5's, it looks to wear down durability pretty quickly. I still need to go back out and test a bit more.

*edit* Just did a quick run in Deep Ravenswood. Roughly 20 mins. Killing all the wolves to the left of the entrance and 13 spiders, and 11 more wolves. Chest and legs were down 1 point of durability and weapon down several more points. The gloves, boots and helm were at max still until I zoned out to home, then they all had taken a hit on durability by 1 points. I guess somethings still not working right. Will have to do it again when its fixed. Seems off.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
  19. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Exploited prices, that banable ? The ban list will be huge in this game.

I expect ull find some insane prices for stuff and real steals. I plan on melting down my prosperity tools now they are weak but might keep one or two just to see if i can find a sucker to buy one at an exploited price . (Insert thumbs up emote here)

Time Lord likes this.
  20. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

How much exactly is the exploited price?

Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.