1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Explanations on monetization thinking on SotA

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Chris, Jun 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mobidoy Querrent

Mobidoy Querrent Avatar

I dont see crafter going out of work soon. Yes for sure, the crowns will slow the repair cycle but, first items crafters will put on the market will be almost basic stuff, as their skill increase, the quality will too so, new gear to sell. When they specialize in a branch (it is coming) some more new stuff. Then procs, masterwork etc etc....

Something can be done with repairs also. Someone was saying someting like :

At 50 repair skill, you can only repair 50% of max durability missing. 60%at 60 and so on.

We already have gold, silver and bronze coto on vendors, why not use those for anything under 100%.

And, why not make the repair kits made by the crafter act just like the repair deeds in UO so, they could include de coto in them or not.

I am sure all what they are doing is going in the right direction

Fister Magee and margaritte like this.
  2. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

[​IMG]
    I'd buy one for my desk

3. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

Respectfully, this make no sense. By the tenth full repair, a repair kit will only repair up to the durability at that time, which will probably be 10. In reality people will start getting antsy about their gear when durability is about half what it started out as. If in fact my gear has at least 50% durability after 3 months of intense activity and I have confidence I can get 3 or more coin drops in game by that time I will be OK with the plan. Some here obviously do not understand the economics of gear creation as it now stands. Collecting the mats for a suit of armor is very intense and time consuming especially at beginner to mid range skill levels. It is ridiculous to even assume that a crafter will value that effort at only 25K. Spending the same amount of time killing mobs for money would swamp that amount in half or less time. I realize that balance is in the future. But considering it has been three months now with players dropping out on ctds all day without a fix, It is hard to be optimistic about this being balanced by showtime. I sure hope you all don't burn out before the curtain goes up.

Snikorts, Leelu and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  4. Noric

Noric Avatar

He doesn't say 3 months for intense activity afaik...

5. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

This is my statement as to what I think would be reasonable, not what someone else stated. Sorry for not being clear enough.

Leelu, KuBaTRiZeS and Noric like this.
  6. Noric

Noric Avatar

Excuse me. My mistake.

KuBaTRiZeS and Aldo like this.
  7. Matheryn

Matheryn Avatar

I am quite pleased that this issue has had some indepth communication from the Developer side of things and I feel they are definitely going in the right direction on this.

The buffs I was never really worried about as I know they are meger and people will either choose to get them or not
    the repair system I feel is the most heated part and by the looks of it you guys are on top of that with the fine tuning of coto and repair
    as for the gold for coto well I did have an issue with it at 2500 but when you dropped it down to 250 I was less worried and now that you are dropping it down to 0 I'm not bothered about them at all

and thankyou dark starr for getting back to that person on the first page in reguards to cosmetic wearables not breaking as that was also a little concern of mine aswell

Acred, KuBaTRiZeS, Shade Cido and 4 others like this.
  8. Kensing Ton

Kensing Ton Avatar

<gone...>

Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
    Fister Magee, Chris, Acred and 4 others like this.
  9. Kensing Ton

Kensing Ton Avatar

<gone...>

10. Albert Baumhauer

Albert Baumhauer Avatar

@Chris Thank you very much for the detailed explanation!

What I don't understand: If COTOs are as unnecessary and useless as you say, why do you think that the players will buy enough of it to keep the game running?

Snikorts, agra, Vyrin and 1 other person like this.
  11. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

I still don't think that's a good idea.
    If I need a crafter for every repair my pvp/pve experience will be bartering with those crafters and not killing Mobs or other players.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
    Rofo, Leelu and Ice Queen like this.
  12. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

LoL.
    Challange accepted.

Aldo, Leelu and Katrina Bekers like this.
  13. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

This puts me at ease, Chris.

Thank you and keep up the good work (and maybe work on future informational rollouts ;)).

Sara

14. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

~Indeed, Where is Our Orrey of Time?~
    [​IMG]
    Dialing backward as well as forward is needed... Real Historical in Game Lore, is based on real things that actually happened or will happen yet all in the time they will or do happen in...

"But first we do need our time to become stabilized and countable against our real world clocks"
    Only then we can attempt to find out what our real history was, is and what our future play time could bring... o_O

That is, "If we are ever going to be able, to plan, to play", or to know what you're talking about in the time anything could take @DarkStarr
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

15. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

The Bear Tavern will be open 24 Bear Hours a day!

Elfenwahn, Gravidy, Snikorts and 7 others like this.
  16. Kensing Ton

Kensing Ton Avatar

<gone...>

Jarl Atogrim likes this.
  17. Mobidoy Querrent

Mobidoy Querrent Avatar

Does this mean that our equipment will last longer during winter time due to bear hibernation ?

Snikorts, Time Lord and Chris like this.
  18. Kensing Ton

Kensing Ton Avatar

<gone...>

19. Grave Dragon

Grave Dragon Avatar

I have to agree once again. Make the max durability drop by 1 every time a crafter repairs it. Repaired amount based on the crafters repair skill. Repairs will become a free service provided by the crafting community just like in UO.

COTOS will make money just based on the value of the potions they are traded for.

If you're worried about their selling power, have them tradable to a tax collector (NPC) as a voucher for a specific gold value in housing taxes. That way people can pay taxes with $.

This would also once again require repair kits in the max durability repair process... a nice gold sink as a bonus.

We NEED COTO'S disassociated with durability repair.

Paying taxes with COTO'S is less p2w than their current association to max durability repair.

It's a win/win\win. ;)

20. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

I'm confused. You're saying that selling actual power boosts for real world money is not P2W because you're selling a weaker version of what another game does?

"We're not as bad as other people" is not a great justification.

I want Portalarium to be financially successful. But this isn't helping the public perception of the game. It is driving away more potential players than it will help. I believe this is bad for the game, and this is bad for your revenue stream in the long run.

Snikorts, syxs, Xandra7 and 5 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.