Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Explenation of why auto-attacks have been preferred

Discussion in 'Release 22 Feedback' started by Arkah EMPstrike, Oct 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Charge-up attacks were intended to have more damage potential than auto attacks, but auto attacks are what people are tearing up with in-game at the moment. And everyone i have seen doing well with auto attacks are buffing thier Attack Speed.

Flurry, Swiftness, Attack speed bonuses on weapons are makingauto attacks deal more damage than charge-ups because charge-ups arent affected by attack speed.

2. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

Auto-attacks use up too many arrows if you are using a bow though.

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  3. himmelweiss

himmelweiss Avatar

So true, charging up attacks is way way too slow compared to auto attacks.

With auto attacks my DPS is by far higher.

4. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

That is a good point @EMPstrike . Currently, you can use dual wielded weapons and get 40% haste on each (bronze + grey pine), so that's 80% haste right there.

Then, as you said, you can add in Flurry and Swiftness and then throw in Blade Speed and you got an incredibly fast attack speed for auto attack.

I can't see how a charged up free attack scenario could be better than that. Perhaps maybe with a hard hitting 2H weapon that really gets a boost from a full charge it could keep pace dps-wise. But the extra time and effort it takes to charge up means you take more damage during the charge. And the human efforts that come into play (reaction time between releases, etc) make it so the theoretical dps may not be able to be achieved with free attack.

Unfortunately, the melee attack damages are so random that testing which is truly better is near impossible. Either method could have a string of low damage range hits or high damage range hits... and crits factor in too... not to mention skill levels in the different categories can affect damage done as wso the data sample would probably be very different if you tested each 5 times in a row. I'd like to know the results though (averages perhaps) if anyone was willing to do some tests.

5. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I do like free attacks best and use them all the time, but I do think they need a lot of work even in the animations aspect of course. I think each of my free attack clicks should do damage based on skill of course. I don't know that free attack is a skill though, so I'm not sure when using it I see do see raises in other things, but actually no raises are set to free attack. I don't prefer auto attack and will keep plugging away with free attack for now. So since I prefer it I do hope that it is improved to be a more viable way to play.;)

6. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Why do you say this??? Attack Speed has nothing to do with Auto attack - Auto attack hits "once every 2 seconds" this is from the Devs. I have proven it is about 1.2 second between auto attacks, and NOTHING you do changes that.

Attack speed buffs the time the little cooldown clock spins on your glyphs.

People need to understand what is actually going on.

The reason Auto Attack is the Go to ;

1. Yes it is Faster than Charged Attacks

2. But if you charge it all the way up a charged attack hits for more damage. BUT, DPS is about = (IF YOU ARE NOT USING OTHER ATTACKS)

3. Now if you add in a few normal attack with your auto attacks you now WAY out damage Charged attacks and make auto attack the go to attack.

I have said this a few times in a few other posts with raw humbers sent in as a bug report.

Again Attack speed has NOTHING to do with how fast auto attack go off.

I have videos out there if you doubt me.

Auto attack needs a massive overhaul thow as it should NOT be the go to attack - it makes training any skill pointless.

FrostII and Katrina Bekers like this.
  7. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Just caught the end of chris' video a moment ago and he did say they intend to also have attack speed affect charge up time as well in R23, so nevermind.

Alley Oop likes this.
  8. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Attack speed used to do this and someone demonstrating thier bow damge to me was talking about all the attack speed buffs they were using.

Went back in to test attack speed and your right. Didn't expect them to take a step backwards with it. But if they do make it increase charge speed on charged attacks, and assuming they get auto attacks down to 2 seconds liek they intend, they will probably need to have attack speed affecting auto attacks again so folks dont feel forced to use charged attacks if they dont want i guess

FrostII and Weins201 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.