Extreme Rares

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by Bowen Bloodgood, Sep 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blake Blackstone

Blake Blackstone Avatar

"I'll be needing 3 cannonballs, and an eye patch. Smitty fell and poked his eye out with the end of my sword after the card game!"

2. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

I for one don't want anything to be "rare", that's where UO made it's mistake.

The only thing that should be "rare" is Gold... No Gold as Loot, only resources & crafted items or Parts for crafting items. Sell the items to NPC to get started, have limits to how many they will buy, let it be global, so I can't go to the next NPC and sell more.

UO had too many facets, and no drains... Let there be an in-game auction offering rare Furniture, Art work, Clothing... Keep the wealthy down to a minimum of Gold, make it hard work to acquire 100k in gold, if not impossible...

The Economy hasn't been set yet, and I'm sure the Dev's have a plan, so until it's complete, we won't know what's in store for us... But, Please NO RARE'S...

3. DavenRock

DavenRock Avatar

No rares? :(

4. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

A lot of rares in UO weren't even intended.. but it did prove that rare items were extremely popular. I've yet to hear a compelling reason not to allow rares..

5. Kain3

Kain3 Avatar

Probably cause there is none. People these days are way too much to instant gratification.

6. stile

stile Avatar

+1 to rares!

Lord Aquila Burnden likes this.
  7. CaptainJackSparrow

CaptainJackSparrow Avatar

Captain Jack has not yet heard a compelling reason to allow rares.

8. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

More junk for Captain Jack to collect and put in his bank box? :)

9. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

If the rich don't have luxury items to spend gold on they will drive up prices for common items.
    Thus if you allow for miners to usually get common stuff, sometimes uncommon stuff, and once in a lifetime a rare. Then not only are you making mining more fun (which is pretty needed) you are also bringing money from the top tier to the bottom tier.
    You also get a snowball effect. The miner sells the rare gem to a crafter. The crafter makes a pommel and sells it to a master. The master makes a sword with the ruby handle to someone rich.
    So the money distributes downwards which is nice.

When the rich only can spend big bucks on game generated content the gold dissapears into the gold sink, like lot taxes, that doesn't make an economy.

KuBaTRiZeS, Seon, Aldo and 1 other person like this.
  10. CaptainJackSparrow

CaptainJackSparrow Avatar

Well what upset Captain Jack about his bank box in UO was that he was stashing cash there. Just dumping cash in there filled it up. I suppose this is meant to make you want to buy a house so that you can stash it there, but, seems like a very old way to get a player to do something and totally not imaginative nor fun.

Captian Jack gives you the fact that UO is old, when he played it, he didn't enjoy it, so thnks we should all think of new and exciting things and creat ideas off them instead of trying to bring back UO stuff with a spin.

Margard likes this.
  11. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

This isn't UO things with a spin. It's how markets function.
    There is a reason why things like this exists:
    [​IMG]
    yes that is 18 carat solid gold with a 5 carat sprinkle of diamonds.
    It will only set you back £40k - and it's not because it has +1 phone calls.
    :p

I thought that Jack Sparrow would appriciate such a thing, it is so much more convenient to stash than a couple of chests full of gold pieces.

12. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

No one is forcing you to buy or collect rares. A lot of people happen to enjoy it and it's cheap content to make. When it comes right down to it it's little more than an in-game hobby, just an extremely popular one.

Mishri, Sir Stile Teckel and Aldo like this.
  13. Margard

Margard Avatar

But a lot of it depends on what is being bought in at high rates - usually this tends to be consumables ... in terms of rares - and mind you I'm not arguing against them all I'm saying is that because of their rarity- they don't really impact the economy as much and amongst a few hands ... the incentive to find a rare will be there which may contribute to inflation (lol) ... so maybe a diverse ways of finding them - all avenues for rares not just mining

14. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Ah, here is the beauty of it.

If I got gold aplenty, then unless I can spend my gold on something I will start doing financial things with them. I could simply go into any vendor and buy upp all the consumables, again and again without worrying about money. So even if some come before me, usually the buck stops with me. That means that when someone arrives after me it's all gone. Then when I'm out adventuring I don't care that I consume stuff like arrows or reagents faster than everyone else it doesn't really affect me since I can usually buy something when I go to the vendor. Multiply that with a hundreds of me. Soon people are noticing that the vendors are all out, so they are going to trade what few consumables they get to eachother for a higher price. But me and my rich friends are still totally unaffected by a doubling of a farthing - we continue as before. etc.

An example would be what I did in another mmo with a global auction house, me and only 3 other middle class, looked at some cheap reasources picked one, started buying every single one and putting them right back at double the price - for a week as soon as we were logged on we bought everything below our set price and put them back at our price level - this set us back almost all our net worth. Then since it was a cheap common resource the highrollers didn't even notice that the price was double so they started buying at our price. We continued this for another week and now we were making huge profits, but now people started catching up with the price hike, so people started putting them in at our higher price lowering our profit.
    So we left that commodity and started on the next, and the next, and the next. In two months time we had increased our net with about 10x, so we were happy and moved on.
    But here is the punchline. Our new prices lasted almost half a year after we did the heist and they never fully went down, since to most players those resources where still cheap to buy and they were accostomed to the new higher levels. This would impact new players all over this mmo to such a degree that meele fighters became more common since they didn't use the resources we had hiked.
    If we had wanted to we could have continued this multiple times since it's and artificial economy where none would start yanking out more of the goods needed, but we got bored and moved on. Imagine what someone really rich could have done...

Then, look at my posts, I'm including uncommon items in the concept as well. So while you are right that the rares only would mostly go between middle class and rich, you have the uncommons going between the poor and the middle class.

So where is this wall of text leading to.
    Since this is an artificial system you must create something for the affluent to spend on their surplus on. Preferably they shouldn't even be moving in the same markets or even be interested in the same resources. Otherwise high inflation is a given.

So if you have swords that all function the same. But have the common swords looking steely and dull, then have uncommon shiny silvery swords for 10x, then rare blackish glint swords at 100x, and then finally have ultra rare jewel encrusted swords for 10000x. Then the really affluent won't affect the price for everyone below their tier. This stops super inflation cold.
    If you are at this point asking yourself if this would work, then answer this: Which selfrespecting millionaire would have a $10 watch?

Another way to solve this in artificial systems is as soon as you see a price hike in the system you increase the drops of commodity Z. So if the price of Sulphur goes up, then gathering Sulphur suddenly starts yielding more. Flooding the Sulphur market until the price drops back down, when you start dropping less and less until stable again.
    This works unless you say that that is what you are doing... Otherwise it's another lovely little exploit. But that is a different story.

Jatvardur, Sunswords and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  15. Margard

Margard Avatar

@spoon ... but do we expect Port to be playing the a form of "commodity central bank system"? and most importantly - if you are speaking of creating a second tier market - that works ... but I don't think its really a rares markets if there are 100,000 unique swords out there :) it would just be high end / gear / pick your flavor type of affair which can be good ...

16. redfish

redfish Avatar

Captain Jack needs to start burying his treasure on desert islands, like all self-respecting pirates.

17. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Extra rare's are ok so long as they retain value throughout the game.

The worst thing that happens in some MMOs is that ultra rares generate excitement, then 20 levels are added to the game and then nobody cares any more.

18. Morkul

Morkul Avatar

Why? Even today extra ordinary gems and gold findings are often more worth in its raw format then refined.

But in general I agree with you.

19. Sunswords

Sunswords Avatar

I'm in agreement here with the idea of ultra rare resources, and to add on using your example of the 'Pink Diamond Jeweled Sword' - Ultra rare resources can be crafted into vanity items that are visibly different to the public.

Believe me when I say vanity items will fetch ASTRONOMICAL prices, they are the ultimate gold sinks.

And to Portalarium, please do not start rampantly selling skins in the add-on store, I don't want to see another "Skin Wars 2" (Stabs at Guild Wars 2). A few so-so looking skins might be tolerable, but the best stuff should be achievable in game, with very rare chances, fair to all.

20. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

I'm a huge fan of rares gathered through all skills (including combat), and just being found, requiring no skills to get other than notice it's out of the ordinary and should be picked up. I also like everything from the semi-rare to the ultra-rare. An example of semi-rare from UO would be the glacial staff, most people could get one within a few days of farming the ice serpents, they were expensive, but many players could afford them. Ultra rares would be like the rocks... not many on the entire server, only the top 1% of players could even afford to buy one.

I like rare resources to craft rare items (even if it's the same as another item, just a different color or name). I also like rare items.. I hope to find the rare arrow-through-the-head worn on head -2 int item that I can parade around town in. I also like functional rares, death's cloak, gives combat/damage/focus bonuses, it's the best cloak in the game, but there are non-rares that do the same thing but don't look as cool.. That way I can wear my rares. Also decorations, the rocks, plants, unique tables and chairs, darkstarr items, all good things. I'd like a rare plant that I can farm. rare animals to tame.

The idea of having a lot of different types of rares is that most players will gain some rare items as they play through the game. It makes them feel like they accomplished something, it gives them a sense of uniqueness. It also gives people goals, reasons to log in. Most games do the "end game content" raids, pvp. That bores me, I want my "end game content" to be rare-hunting.

Other MMOs have rare spawns and rare drops it wasn't a UO exclusive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.