Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

extremely disappointed............

Discussion in 'Release 10 Feedback' started by brand0o, Sep 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I note how you ignored his statement about the single player games because it didn't fit your argument. The single player games were waaaay different then UO, thank god in my case...but if you read that line and thought hey it is going to be UO2 then you have selective reading skills.

It is trending more toward UO then the single player games at the moment though so some should be happy. Though the whining that it has to have this feature or that feature in order to be good or just like UO even if it doesn't make sense does really get old.

Sir Cabirus and docdoom77 like this.
  2. adaamhimself

adaamhimself Avatar

Go ahead and note it. I'm under no obligation to do anything except express my opinion. The elitism of the "this isn't uo" crowd is insufferable as if this is solely their game and the money of UO fans counts for nothing.

Incredible.

3. Greymarch

Greymarch Avatar

The only thing that's mentioned is "deep multi-player experiences" as far as UO. Assuming this game is going to be a carbon copy of it from that is puzzling at best.

Sir Cabirus and docdoom77 like this.
  4. adaamhimself

adaamhimself Avatar

I'm not saying it will but Ultima includes UO. There are a few here who act, with derision, as if their vision of what Ultima is is the only vision.

Parallaxe and Ahuaeynjgkxs like this.
  5. Drexorn

Drexorn Avatar

I tend to agree with the OP in that I don't know what the heck I'm doing in the game yet. I'm still going to reserve my judgement until it's released though.

6. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Would you feel better if we said yes this is UO with a few things from the single player games? Does this come down to who puts the most money in or does it come down to what the original design is? I don't think the game should mutate to something it was not supposed to be. All agression aside.

Sir Cabirus and Lord_Darkmoon like this.
  7. Greymarch

Greymarch Avatar

When it comes down to it it's not a single player Ultima game, and it's not Ultima Online. It's its own separate beast and while there may be some thematic links to those games expecting a host of mechanical similarities is probably just going to set yourself up for disappointment.

Sir_Hemlock and adaamhimself like this.
  8. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

to be fair, what UO did to the lore of the original games was pretty bad....it was like looking at an alternate world of Ultima....which I personally felt wasn't what I got from the originals. I understand a lot of people liked that and never experienced the Ultima games other then the online one. To me it was a disappointment due to the history I had with the game.

I guess one thing this game has going for it is the fact there is no lore that can be changed/ignored because there is nothing but this game to base it on.

Sir Cabirus and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  9. brand0o

brand0o Avatar

If SotA keeps saying this is the spiritual successor of UO and Richard himself goes to all these free UO shards and get the owners to send there players an email saying Richard is making a new UO and im throwing my weight behind it then ya everyone is going to assume hes making the new UO. This is Richards fault. If he didnt intend for this show me the comment where he said I know people are expecting UO but thi is going to be a much different game...?? He didnt or it doesnt. He should have been doing that from the start.

sn0tub and adaamhimself like this.
  10. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I don't think I ever heard him say he is making a new UO....?

Sir Cabirus likes this.
  11. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

When the Kickstarter began I never had the impression that this game was going to be like UO. Otherwise I wouldn't have backed it. From the very beginning it was clear to me that SotA would be different and unique. The overland map and the scenes alone are proof of this and those features were mentioned from the very beginning.

Jimirillo and Sir Cabirus like this.
  12. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

This is really has become a discourse similar to what people would have INSIDE plato's cave, and theres people feeding the fire to make sure anyone who attempts to leave is BURNED.

I too brought this game ENTIRELY on the pretense it was going to be UO and I even put 1000$+ behind it even more buying accounts for my friends because I was CERTAIN that King Gariott would NOT be making a sims like social game like he wanted to do before this project. (it was even worse than sims it was a collecting game he wanted to make)

Nothing could be further from the truth, I relive exactly what made me leave EA's UO even if I was extreemly attached to the community and my historic belongings... its copy paste of the same situation, the same feelings, the same people too that jump in every negative feedback thread and clumsily try to reach the status quo which never existed in the first place.

Brigning up the "who has put more money" argument really killed it. The whole discussion is charged with childishness, to the point its obnoxious and the perpetrators know full well THEY are not going to be censored, rather the people trying to provide feedback will get censored.

As usual you guys are not letting someone who has negative feedback talk, I won't say what I really think cause I'll get banned again, so don't try and pull the worms out of my nose, I'm decaying like the heart you left on the public altar.

Spoon and Apollyon9515 like this.
  13. Ultima Codex

Ultima Codex Avatar

It's demonstrative of the gulf between what A says and what B hears, a phenomenon that can be observed in just about every sort of scenario and relationship involving more than one person.

Certainly it does seem to be the case that when Portalarium promised a spiritual successor to both Ultima Online and the Ultima series, many people heard only as far as the "Ultima Online" part and either missed hearing or ignored the "Ultima series" part. The same is true from the other side, of course; there are many people who are disappointed that Shroud of the Avatar seems to focus as much as it does, at present, on online features and game systems that would tend to appeal to multiplayer fans rather than single-player fans.

But the truth is that both these groups are in error, to some degree: Shroud of the Avatar is neither the next UO nor the next U7. It is its own thing, albeit it will draw upon many of its spiritual predecessors for inspiration. But which inspirations it takes, and from where...that is up to Richard Garriott, and with him Portalarium, to decide.

14. redfish

redfish Avatar

Okay brand0o, I don't know if you posted this again because the first message disappeared and didn't see the replies. I wanted to make sure as a player you understood two things.

Just like in in UO, you can immediately equip a sword, go out in the woods and start having fun if you want. If you don't want to use the deck glyphs, you still have your auto-attack. But, the devs even put in a default deck, which contains all of the skills you put points in, so you can worry about customizing your when you get around to it and on your own schedule. You don't have to do anything at all. Just go out and have fun. I'm assuming in the release game this will even be a lot less of a mental problem to get around, since you'll start with less skills, so have less reason to customize your deck. When you learn skills from trainers in the game, the deck system will be gradually introduced to players, and it won't seem so complex. And even in UO, you had to learn how magic worked before you used it.

Second, nobody likes loading screens, and the more the devs cut down on the time of the loading screens the happier everyone will be. But, it still doesn't make sense to have hundreds of players in single a dungeon. If the dungeon has so much traffic, why would all the monsters and loot be there? Instancing just makes sense. The amount of players in a scene to what logically makes sense from a role-playing standpoint. Some scenes can allow for more players, some for less. Its a completely different issue than loading screens, though.

High Baron O`Sullivan likes this.
  15. adaamhimself

adaamhimself Avatar

Thank you. This is what I've been saying. Neither side has the right to deride the views of the other based on their interpretations, as both are valid.

Also, when I said money I should have said backers. I'm not intending to place people who've contributed more at a higher position; I merely wanted to state those of us who've actually backed the game and want an equal say.

Joviex likes this.
  16. adaamhimself

adaamhimself Avatar

You can have instancing without forcing people into tiny little boxes.

Drystone and Joviex like this.
  17. redfish

redfish Avatar

Yea but instancing isn't the issue.

Either the objection would be to the dual-scale map, or to just the small size of the scenes. He seems to be complaining about the loading screens though.

Its important to point out too that there'll be encounters on the travel map in the future so even if you don't like the concept of the dual-scale map, people will still be able run into each other when theyre not in the scenes.

18. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

What part(s) invoke the spirit of UO? Is there a specific MUST have to have that label?

I am going to go with a virtue system but not much more than that. If that is missing then how can it be Ultima (series or online) Anything else is optional.

19. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

@bandito you were just expecting to see a real game as many before you. The fun stuff isn't in yet. At this point you just have to make up your own fun or join with others and have creative fun. It takes a lot of patience to do testing on a game in the alpha stage of development. I have definitely had to find lots of it. Best wishes to you and please let someone help you get the hang of it you may end up having a blast. ;)

20. Favonius Cornelius

Favonius Cornelius Avatar

It does not even matter if this is to be the next UO or not. It is common sense for those in touch with MMORPGs that cloning stuff like WoW, making a totally instanced world, stepping far away from the sandbox in general, is going to be a bore like all the other failed cookie cutter games.

Now throw into the mix a lot of donating up front, and blind faith in Lord Brit, and you end up with some pretty irate folks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.