Facebook? Mailing List? Discord?

Discussion in 'Roleplayer's Corner' started by Larawyn Skjaldmaer, Jan 8, 2017.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Larawyn Skjaldmaer

Larawyn Skjaldmaer Avatar

Greetings all fellow role-players.

As the holidays are now over, I return to my regularly schedule cheerleading. We've accomplished a few things in the last month, including the creation of a generic sota role-player guild, a new role-player center, and a regular meet and greet on sunday.

I'd like to propose the following ideas:

1: A Sota Roleplayer facebook page

2: A #roleplayer chat room on the sota discord server (I assume this would be @Berek discussion)

3: And a mailing list or announcement thread. We could either do a mailing list for newsletters, I'm most familiar with mail chimp, OR we could start a single sticky thread on the board here that players could "watch". Vote for your preference.

Still Need:

• I'm still looking for other role-play towns and guilds to sign up on our list so we can start building inter community story lines.
    • I am still accepting submission advertising RP towns and guilds at the center in Bastion's Point.
    • We could use some more help getting news out on the Sunday Meet and Greet for Role-players.
    If you have time, and like to network with people, please contact me, I could use some help.

Regards,
    Lara

2. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Anyone can create a discord channel and invite others to it.

Rada Torment and Berek like this.
  3. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

As Bowen mentioned, the Discord chat channel is quite open to the community. We do moderate it, but overall it's a community initiative. Bowen can get with you and add it if you need assistance, or PM me. This sounds like a great idea!

Rada Torment and Bowen Bloodgood like this.
  4. Rada Torment

Rada Torment Community Ambassador (ES)

I'm also willing to help with any Discord related stuff. I have been using Discord for nearly two years and running two servers atm.

Love to see new RP communities growing in SotA :)

/wave,
    Rada Torment.

Stundorn likes this.
  5. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

My vote is no facebook page (or any social media page).

My vote is no email newsletter.

The forums here should be a one stop shop for getting all of the news around role playing.

Thank you for asking for other's opinions.

6. Berek

Using the social networks is, and especially will be up to launch, important in reaching new players. We can then take those new players and kindly invite them over to these forums :).

7. NirAntae

NirAntae Avatar

I think a discord channel, possibly under the main SotA server, would be good for 'hey, we're RPing in ____, come join us!'

I also agree with Berek that a social media presence, like a FB group, would be good for general out-of-game socializing and attracting new players.

I understand the feeling that the forums here should be the one-stop-shop, but I'm not sure that's really realistic, particularly for just general socializing.

8. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Let's establish a general , public RP Hotspot near or in CB maybe???

I don't use Discord very much, but if this is a spot where I can ask who is actually rping and where I'm fine.
    Don't use FB or any social networks, no mailing list, I prefer anouncements in the Forum's or as is said a well known spot for roleplayers ,what is central to everybody and could visited if one is searching for RP.

What about @Lord British to invite the RP folks to CB and make them the court of barons, lords, dukes, Queens, Baroness, their ministers, seers, consultants, Wizards, Alchemists, Chiefs, Officers, Huntsmen, Lady's , Shieldmaiden, Curtisans, Mistresses...

Those who play characters what don't fit a court Setting can hangout in front of the castle or in the atrium of the keep e.g.

So the aristocrats need to pass the mob and they can RP together too.
    And the people in between mob and court can be there as well maybe jugglers, business travelers, storytellers...

Everybody has a cause to hangout there , one have politics, others business, some just obligations, just want to apply something, demonstrate against the King or to disparaging/ praise his Lord etc...

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
    Black Tortoise likes this.
  9. Larawyn Skjaldmaer

I do agree on establishing a regular RP location. I have been trying to get that off the ground in Bastion's Point, which is a player town just north of Soltown. Location being an important consideration I thought. However I have discovered that we are likely to have 3 separate starter towns eventually, thus the location of Bastion's Point may become less beneficial.

A good location should be one that is easily accessible for both new players and established players
    As free from lag as possible
    With a bland enough fiction that it doesn't discourage certain characters due to their back story

Maybe the various towns named Welcome Center could be established with RP taverns near the entrances. Certainly something to discuss ...

10. Curt

Curt Avatar

At least one region has its own discord server (Elysium). I hope the others also will get ones to keep together people that lives or adventures in one region.

11. Larawyn Skjaldmaer

With the upcoming need to reach outside of our community, we have created a SotA Role-Player Facebook Page.

For those of you who can never remember what day it is and what the events are, I will try and keep semi-regular posts up to remind us all.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sotaroleplayer/

Stundorn likes this.
  12. Berek

I think the FB group is a good move. Sometimes it's not enough to just have a section in an existing official game forum area. Doesn't feel exclusive enough when you want to stand out as a group.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.