Factions Revisited! We need them for "meaningful" pvp

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Ravicus Domdred, Aug 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

I have brought up factions in the past. There was some pretty good interest in them. I believe that it would help the storyline also. If we had factions that people could join, it would bring people together, and it would create meaningful pvp also. I am not talking about guild warfare. From what I know unless it is not to my liking. I would love to have NPC faction leaders. They could take the people that do not want to be in guilds or do not trust guilds, and put them on a storyline path. The members of the factions could become friends and help each other in pvp. Imagine if there was a Kobald faction. or an Elf Faction. Even a human faction. Mabye an undead faction. This would provide "meaningful" story based combat. Come on people, pvp is on life support and all we have is "tournament pvp". Lets get the ball rolling on to bigger and better things!
    Imagine if PvP towns could have NPC faction leaders in them, and be faction based? Could have an overland map symbol for the faction!

2. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

For sure. I't sort mind blowing that there isn't some incarnation of factions and PvP games. But we been down the road so many times, its probably a lost cause.

3. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

I agree, but you never know. Once the luster has gone off the oyster people get bored. You can decorate so much. you can mine so much. You can craft so much. But there is no other element in any MMO game that requires you to face off against other Real Life People. You cannot match combat in pve compared to combat in PvP. If this game wants any kind of duration, it needs to start rebuilding a pvp populous, even though many have left this game because pvp is so lame. I am sincerely trying to change that. @Tahru Its never to late! :) Now that I am only a 45 dollar dude I am not so wrapped up and focused on owning a pot and trying to provide everything to everyone. I can actually see what I think the game needs just from a basic pledge. If people think that this game will be anything without pvp, well, I just disagree, because its not gonna happen.

4. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Here is the overview of factions from UO so you can get kind of the idea from what I am talking about.
    http://www.uoguide.com/Factions

The Faction System is a broad game system designed to promote organized player conflict within the society of Britannia. The fundamental goal of the conflict is to provide a foundation for player conflict based upon meaningful and contextual combat and conflict-related interactions. The system is designed to encourage the inclusion of a wide array of player types through the use of game mechanics that appeal to a broad set of play-styles. [1]

When Minax took over Lord British's realm, she started a rift, both among her followers, and among the followers of Lord British. Both sides split into two different groups, with different ideals, and war ensued among all 4 sides.

The rebellion began in Moonglow, where the council of Mages decided that Lord British was no longer fit to rule Britannia. He'd not only failed to protect his lands from the invading hordes, but many of his own people had abandoned him and fled to the side of darkness, taking post with one of the factions of evil.

British's loyal followers tried to crush the rumors quickly that Moonglow was planning on seceding from the throne's grasp, but this only furthered their cause, making those who died or were jailed martyrs for the cause of the mages. The Council of Mages now believes that what Britannia needs is a new leader: one who can not only lead Britannia against Minax, but who can also keep peace once it's restored. To this end, they have begun preparations to do something drastic.

Though they've never had to do this themselves, they are the keepers of the arcane knowledge, and they have prepared many notes and items which they will need in their quest. They oppose Minax, and Lord British, and as such, are not safe from danger in either company.

Meanwhile, Minax has something of a rebellion herself occurring. Strangely enough, from within her own rank and file, there are those who are calling for the Shadow Lords to be released from the Abyss to take their rightful place as the rulers of the dark land. While her minions are grateful to Minax for allowing them the opportunity to strike terror at Lord British, they feel she is only useful as a magical tool, and is not powerful enough to lead them against Lord British for an extended period of time. To this end they have begun preparations to do something drastic of their own; call for the Shadow Lords.

Her minions are now split amongst those who would follow her, and those who wish to see her dethroned. Infighting is the only thing thus far that is keeping Minax from working out a way to breach the virtue spell that protects Lord British and his followers.

Factions is a group PvP system that exists only within the Felucca facet. The system consists of 4 Factions, 2 good and 2 evil, struggling for control of Britannia. Control is determined by eight Felucca cities (Britain, Magincia, Minoc, Moonglow, Skara Brae, Trinsic, Vesper and Yew). Cities are captured by stealing the town Sigil, taking it back to your base, holding it for 10 hours to corrupt, and then placing it back in the respective town. The town is secured for 3 days until the sigil can be stolen once again. All factions are aggressive towards each other, meaning each faction member can be attacked freely by members of another faction. This type of warfare only takes place in Felucca, enemy faction players appear neutral in all other facets.

To join a Faction, visit the stronghold of the one you wish to join and use the signup stone located near the entrance. You will be given a robe to show you allegiance and be able to join in the fight immediately.

The Factions
    True Britannians
    They follow the teachings of Lord British and their base is Castle Britannia in Britain.

Council of Mages
    A good matured faction that have issues following the teachings of Lord British. Their base is in the Parliament Building in Magincia.

Minax
    They follows the evil mage Minax. They are based in a mountain stronghold.

Shadowlords
    This faction follows 3 demonic entities known as the Shadowlords. Their base is the Yew Crypts.

Leadership Roles
    Faction players are eligible for public office within their faction. The three eligible offices are: the office of Faction Commander, Town Sheriff, and Town Finance Minister.

Faction Commander
    The office of Faction Commander is attained through an election process that occurs once per week. There is only one commander per faction. The Faction Commander may send a global command to all faction members twice per hour by simply saying, "message faction". Most commands made by the Faction Commander are decided through Faction and Town Stones.

Town Sheriff
    Appointed by the elected Faction Commander to control the placement of guards in a captured faction city. There is one sheriff per city. Town Sheriff may view the town/city treasury and may hire guards by simply saying, "I am Sheriff" out loud.

Town Finance Minister
    Appointed by the Faction Commander to manage taxes and resource vendors in a captured city. There is one finance minister per city. The Finance Minister may access the town/city treasury to change tax rates and may hire vendors by saying, "I wish to access the city treasury".

Items
    Starting with Publish 56, players can now use silver to purchase special items and equipment. These items are only usable by faction players. Worn equipment requires a certain level rank to use. Inside each stronghold near the faction stone is a Cooperative Collection chest. Donate silver to it and collect rewards. In the future, silver donated to the faction in this way will be beneficial to the faction.

Items

• Faction Stronghold Rune - 150 silver - On use, the faction member will be teleported directly to their stronghold faction stone, destroying the rune in the process. All normal flagging rules apply. A cool down between uses applies based on rank.
    • Shrine Gem - 100 silver - Upon death, the faction member will be offered to be teleported to a random shrine. If accepted, they are teleported and the gem is destroyed. The gem is blessed.
    • Supernova Potions - 100 silver - On use, creates a ring of fire around the player that inflicts fire damage to enemy targets within a 5 tile radius. The closer the enemy, the higher the damage will be. Damage is increased based on player’s Alchemy skill and Enhance Potions item property. There is a 2 minute cool down between uses.
    • Greater Stamina Potion - 50 silver per potion - On use, restores 100 stamina points over 5 seconds. The player cannot drink another such potion while one is already active.
    • Enchanted Bandages - 100 silver for 10 - Bandages that lift curses like Enchanted Apples do. Curses are removed regardless of healing skill or success of applying bandage. Standard application time rules apply.

5. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

It was a great mechanic back then, especially for being the first attempt in anything like this. Others have tried but i don't think matched uo's version personally, Snatch all sigil's and hold for 24 hrs( I'm sure was what it was back when i played) was the creation of epic nights/days/weekend's, the system was so simple but worked so well. Holding off 3 other factions at your stronghold, with limited ammunition, which this game can emulate as we can only hold limited amounts of reagents and arrows, although that might need adjusting with the reagent consumption mechanic being so low as each person could hold a massive amount. Sending people out for supplies, which they then have to get back in past the siege with as much as they can hold caused for some game saving moments. Add to this full world pvp for those that are in it and you have pvp with at least some meaning and value.
    DAOC i never played but was told was good, but Warhammer that was marketed as similar faction combat was a joke, nothing done since has bettered it i don't think and would love for something like this to be implemented here. Its so simple and would need only a small amount of programming/change i would imagine, that its a must!

Anvar, GraveDncer, Tahru and 3 others like this.
  6. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Yes! I agree! I do not know why Port cant see this. Its a huge opportunity to gain new players and regain older pvp players that have left.

Anvar, GraveDncer, Bow Vale and 2 others like this.
  7. Korim Rackham

Korim Rackham Avatar

Even if factions would be too difficult to implement, may be easier to implement a vice versus virtue type deal... if i recall correctly in UO you didnt have to be guilded to participate.

8. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

agreed. Something to promote pvp in a meaningful way. Vice vs virtue, chaos vs order, a factions system....something, anything! The guild war thing to me is a joke. I don't mean any disrespect, but it is completely a joke for me.

Anvar, GraveDncer and Tahru like this.
  9. Korim Rackham

Korim Rackham Avatar

Agreed, as are most the skills outside archery and magery. haha but yes i hope there is meaningful PvP in game at somepoint.

GraveDncer, Ravicus and Tahru like this.
  10. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

You are correct in thinking that it would create a buzz and many would come back/join for it. It doesn't even have to be that complicated, in fact the simpler the better in my book. Others that have done attempts like GW, have over complicated the whole system and made it a joke with things flipping so quickly and mad zergs the order of the day.

With choke points and no push through mechanics and with the support of others there is no reason that melee shouldn't be very useful in pvp. In reality a mage/archer should never lose to a heavily armoured melee, as they can always keep distance in an open environment, but getting the light wearers in close combat should mean a quick death. Damage from archers and mages(depending on the players resists) should be able to be tanked generally with the aid of support players allowing melee to be the holders of the line and really the front line in an ebnviroment that suits them, like s factions fortress or dungeons/building fighting.

I also personally dislike leader boards which discourage participation as people are scared to give it a go with their name highlighted at the bottom of any lists. Game developers think we want this, well a few that are at the top maybe so, but 99% of the rest they don't. If there are leader boards anywhere then it generally discourages active participation imo. Winning for a team sometimes involves dieing...a lot, and peoples k/d ratio shouldn't be highlighted in big lettering anywhere, the players know who is good and who isn't and who fights and dies for the cause, that's all that's needed.

11. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

OMG you nailed this. I have spoken personally to the devs about the leaderboards. I still do not know why they are there. It really promotes a bad environment and breaks immersion so bad. I never played guild wars so I cannot comment on that.

Bow Vale, Korim Rackham and Tahru like this.
  12. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

The problem I talked to chris about was in leaderboards. How can you stealth and attack someone from stealth. Its been awhile since I played so this could be resolved I do not know. Ok, first of all, if you are in a pvp zone your name appears on a leaderboard. People know you are there. :( Second of all if you are stealthed you have to be out of combat or they will see your enchanted weapon glowing as you approach. If you stealth up from behind someone in non combat mode you then have to go into combat, wait for your glyphs, then attack, and they can see your weapon while you wait for your glyphs to load. So mainly its impossible to be a good stealther with the pvp board. As it lets everyone know that you are in the scene at least.

Korim Rackham and Bow Vale like this.
  13. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

I mean overall leader boards having a k/d ration as mentioned above. For guilds/factions i would be fine with it ( maybe a controlling points/present holder type) as it is a team effort and you need people in various roles to be successful but those players who take risks for the team on a conventional name based forever in time leader board would be discouraged from participating. What they are trying to do here with having a leader board in a scene is trying to create a battleground environment and kill a couple of birds with one stone, this method discourages play for both my reasons and yours of everyone knows who is where etc. I can understand their thoughts on this but you either go with a full battleground system(which i and many of the gamers UO created dislike) or keep it simple and in my view more encouraging for all.

I would like as stated for factions and the like, but i also am enjoying the game immensely for what we already have in a non pvp way. So its not an either/or for me but an & that would enhance the world and make it more attractive to a bigger audience.

Ravicus likes this.
  14. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

aye, I could understand the leaderboard if we had instanced battlegrounds, like wow has. Maybe they could make control points instance battlegrounds like that where you have to que up for them.

15. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

Not for me personally for reasons stated, but that environment they would be more at home for sure.

Ravicus likes this.
  16. GraveDncer

GraveDncer Avatar

I would totally get behind bring back the faction system. It was a great way for individuals or small groups to be involved in a much larger conflict.

Bow Vale and Ravicus like this.
  17. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

+1

18. Floors

Floors Avatar

I think this is a great idea that could add a missing element to the game. Maybe for R2 :)

Bow Vale and Ravicus like this.
  19. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

*crosses fingers* Please everyone help me push this idea. If you have any of the dev's ear's whisper it to them in it, but don't lick it, that can be awkward. :)

GraveDncer likes this.
  20. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

by the way, is there any ETA for episode 2? I hope somewhere in this episode this could happen. I really do not want to wait another 3 to 5 years to have decent pvp. I have brought this up a year ago or so and chris replied to the thread back then, so they are aware of the Idea. We just need to PUSH for it. Can someone go to port and bring booze? Please! :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.